Enzyme activities in a clay-loam soil amended with various crop residues
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Amylase, dehydrogenase, arylsulphatase and phosphatases activities were measured in a clay-loam soil amended with seven different crop residues. All enzyme activities, except phosphomonoesterase, were generally higher in the derived soil samples than in the original soil. Addition of tobacco and sunflower residues caused an increase on most of the enzyme activities while tomato residues increased only the amylase and phosphodiesterase activities.
As the enzyme activities were positively correlated to each other, a common source of the enzymes is suggested even though the coefficients of correlation demonstrate that only a low percentage of the variability can be ascribed to the interactions among enzyme activities.
- Bollettino della Società Italiana Scienza del Suolo (S.I.S.S.) 1976 Analisi granulometrica, Ed. Caponi, Firenze (Italy), 10, 20–55.
- Browman M G and Tabatabai M A 1978 Phosphodiesterase activity in soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J. 42, 284–290.
- Casida L E Jr, Klein D A and Santoro T 1964 Soil dehydrogenase activity. Soil Sci. 98, 371–376.
- Chendrayan K, Adhya T K and Sethunathan N 1980 Dehydrogenase and invertase activities of flooded soils. Soil Biol. Biochem. 12, 271–273. CrossRef
- Eivazi F and Tabatabai M A 1977 Phosphatases in soils. Soil Biol. Biochem. 9, 167–172. CrossRef
- Federici F and D'Elia M 1983 Growth and amylolytic activity ofAureobasidium pullulans in starch-limited culture. Enzyme Microb. Technol. 5, 225–226. CrossRef
- Jackson M L 1964 Organic matter determination for soil. Soil chemical Analysis, 4th ed., Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, N.J.
- Klein T M and Koths J S 1980 Urease, protease and acid phosphatase in soil continuously cropped to corn by conventional or no-tillage method. Soil. Biol. Biochem. 12, 293–294. CrossRef
- Ladd J N 1978 Origin and range of enzymes in soil.In ‘Soil enzymes’, Ed. R G Burns, Acad. Press, New York, pp 51–96.
- Ogner G 1977 Bestemmelse av total svovel i Plante- og Humusmaterialer. Medd. Nor. Inst. Skogforsk, 33(2), 85–101.
- Pancholy S K and Rice E L 1973 Soil enzymes in relation to old field succession: amylase, cellulase, invertase, dehydrogenase and urease. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 37, 47–50.
- Pancholy S K and Rice E L 1973 Carbohydrases in soil as affected by successional stages of revegetation. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 37, 227–229.
- Perucci P, Giusquiani P L and Scarponi S 1982 Nitrogen losses from added urea and urease activity of a clay-loam soil amended with crop residue. Plant and Soil, 69, 457–463.
- Perucci P and Scarponi L 1983 Effect of crop residue addition on arylsulphatase activity in soils. Plant and Soil, 73, 323–326. CrossRef
- Power J F and Legg J O 1978 Effect of crop residues on the soil chemical environment and nutrient availability.In ‘Crop Residue Management Systems’, Ed. W.R. Oschwald, ASAS Spec. Publ. pp 80–110.
- Roberge M R 1978 Methodology of soil measurement and extraction.In “Soil Enzymes”, Ed. R.G. Burns, Acad. Press, New York, pp 341–370.
- Speir T W and Ross D J 1978 Soil phosphatase and sulphatase.In ‘Soil Enzymes’, Ed. R.G. Burns, Acad. Press, New York, pp 197–250.
- Tabatabai M A and Bremner J M 1970 Arylsulphatase activity of soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 34, 707–710.
- Tabatabai M A and Bremner J M 1970 Factors affecting soil arylsulphatase activity. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc. 34, 427–429.
- Tabatabai M A and Bremner J M 1969 Use of p-nitrophenyl phosphate for assay of soil phosphataseactivity. Soil Biol. Biochem. 1, 301–307. CrossRef
- Enzyme activities in a clay-loam soil amended with various crop residues
Plant and Soil
Volume 81, Issue 3 , pp 345-351
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff/Dr. W. Junk Publishers
- Additional Links
- Enzyme activity
- Crop residues
- Soil amendment
- Industry Sectors