Electron beam moiré
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A method of writing very high frequency line and dot pattems, in excess of 10,000 lines/mm, is described. This method uses a very small diameter, 10 to 20 nm, beam of electrons to sensitize a 100-nm thick layer of electron resist. The line and dot patterns are produced by etching the sensitized resist. Moiré fringe patterns occur when the line arrays are observed in the scanning electron microscope. Moiré fringes with excellent contrast have been produced at magnifications as high as 1900x. This capability permits e-beam moiré to be employed in micromechanics. Examples of line arrays, dot arrays and moiré fringe patterns on a brass disk and on a tensile specimen fabricated from glass-fiber-reinforced plastic are demonstrated to introduce the possibilities for micromechanics applications.
- Weller, R. andShepard, B.M., “Displacement Measurement by Mechanical Interferometry,”Proc. Soc. for Exp. Stress Analysis,6 (1),35–38 (1948).
- Parks, V.J., Geometric Moiré, Handbook on Experimental Mechanics, ed. A.S. Kobayashi, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 282–313 (1987).
- Theocaris, P.S., Moiré Fringes in Strain Analysis, Pergamon Press, Elmsford, NY (1969).
- Post, D., “Optical Interference for Deformation Measurement— Classical, Holographic and Moiré Interferometry,”Mechanics of Nondestructive Testing, ed. W.W. Stinchcomb, Plenum Press, New York, 1–53 (1980).
- McDonach, A., McKelvie, J. andWalker, C.A., “Stress Analysis of Fibrous Composites Using Moiré Interferometry, Opt. and Laser Eng.,1,85–105 (1980).
- Post, D., “Moiré Interferometry: Advances and Applications,”Experimental Mechanics,31 (3),276–280 (1991).
- Haller, I., Hatzakis, M. andSrinivasan, R., “High Resolution Positive Resists for Electron-beam Exposure,”IBM J. Res. and Dev.,12,251 (1968).
- Patton, N.E. andMahoney, M.W. “Creep of Titanium-Silicon Alloys,”Met. Trans. A,7A,1685–1692 (1976).
- Kishimoto, S., M. Egashira, Shinya, N. andCarolan, R.A., “Local Micro-Deformation Analysis by Means of Microgrid and Electron Beam Moiré Fringe Method,”Proc. 6th. Int. Conf. on Mech. Behavior of Materials, ed. M. Jono and T. Inoue,4,661–666 (1991).
- Kishimoto, S., Egashira, M. andShinya, “Measurement of Grain Boundary Sliding and Observation of Microgrids for High Temperature Use,”J. Soc. for Mat. Sci. Japan (in Japanese),40 (452),637–641 (1991).
- Morimoto, Y. andHayashi, T., “Deformation Measurement, During Powder Compaction by a Scanning Moiré Method,”Experimental Mechanics,24,112–116 (1984).
- Goldstein, J.I., Newbury, D.E., Echlin, P., Joy, D.C., Fiori, C. andLifshin, E., Scanning Electron Microscopy and X-Ray Microanalysis, Plenum Press, New York, 19–203 (1981).
- Everhart, T.E., Herzog, R.F., Chung, M.S. and Devore, W.J., “Electron Energy Dissipation Measurements in Solids,” 6th Int. Cong. on X-Ray Optics and Microanalysis, 81–86 (1971).
- Santo, M., Dally, J.W. and Read, D.T., “A Grid-Moiré Hybrid Method for Measuring Strain and Displacement,” Optical Engineering, in press.
- Post, D., “Sharpening and Multiplication of Moiré Fringes,”Experimental Mechanics,7 (4),154–159 (1967).
- Electron beam moiré
Volume 33, Issue 4 , pp 270-277
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors