An experimental study of the deformation fields around a propagating crack tip
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Digital image processing was used to obtain the deformation fields around a propagating crack tip from photographic films recorded by a high-speed Cranz-Schardin camera. The in-plane displacements and strains determined from the process were then used to compute the dynamic stress intensity factor and the remote stress component parallel to the crack face.K dominance is discussed using the experimental data. Surface roughness of the fractured surface is also examined.
- Kalthoff, J.F., “Shadow Optical Method of Caustics,”Handbook on Experimental Mechanics, Ch. 9, ed. A.S. Kobayashi, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ (1987).
- Nigam, H. andShukla, A., “Comparison of the Techniques of Caustics and Photoelasticity as Applied to Fracture,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,28 (2),123–131 (1988).
- Ramulu, M., Kobayashi, A.S., andKang, B.S.J., “Dynamic Crack Curving—A Photoelastic Evaluation,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,23 (1),1–9 (1983).
- Ramulu, M., Kobayashi, A.S., and Kang, B.S.J., “Dynamic Crack Branching—A Photoelastic Evaluation,” Fracture Mechanic: 15th Symposium, ed. R.J. Sanford, ASTM STP 833, 130–148 (1984).
- Krishnaswamy, S., Tippur, H.V., andRosakis, A.J., “Measurement of Transient Crack Tip Deformation Fields Using the Method of Coherent Gradient Sensing,”J. Mech. Physics Solids,40 (2),339 (1992).
- Arakawa, K., Drinnon, R.H., Jr., Kosai, M., andKobayashi, A.S., “Dynamic Fracture Analysis by Moiré Interferometry,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,31 (4),306–309 (1991).
- Sanford, R.J., “A Moiré Study of Dynamic Crack Propagation in Aluminum,” Proc. SEM Spring Meeting, 344–349 (1991).
- Peters, W.H., Ranson, W.F., Kalthoff, J.F., andWinkler, S.R., “A Study of Dynamic Near-crack-tip Fracture Parameters by Digital Image Analysis,”J. Physique, colloque C5, 631–638 (1985).
- Chu, T.C., Ranson, W.F., Sutton, M.A., andPeters, W.H., “Applications of Digital Image Correlation Techniques to Experimental Mechanics,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,25 (3),232–245 (1985).
- Sutton, M.A., Turner, J.L., Bruck, H.A., andChae, T., “Full Field Representation of Discretely Sampled Surface Deformation for Displacement and Strain Analysis,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,31 (2),168–177 (1991).
- Chao, Y.J. and Sutton, M.A., “Accurate Measurement of Two and Three-dimensional Surface Deformations for Fracture Specimens by Computer Vision,” Experimental Techniques in Fracture, Vol. 3, ed. J.S. Epstein, Society for Experimental Mechanics (1993).
- Nishioka, T. andAtluri, S.N., “Path-independent Integrals, Energy Release Rate, and General Solution of Near-tip Fields in Mixed-mode Dynamic Fracture,”Eng. Fract. Mech.,18 (1),1–22 (1983).
- Ramulu, M. andKobayashi, A.S., “Mechanics of Crack Curving and Branching—A Dynamic Fracture Analysis,”Int. J. Fract.,27,187–201 (1985).
- IMSL Subroutine, OFIMA3, Problem Solving Software System for Mathematical and Statistical Fortran Programming, Edition 9.2 (1984).
- Freund, L.B. andRosakis, A.J., “The Structure of the Near Tip Field During Transient Elastodynamic Crack Growth,”J. Mech. Phys. Solids,40 (3),699–719 (1992).
- An experimental study of the deformation fields around a propagating crack tip
Volume 38, Issue 2 , pp 79-85
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of South Carolina, 29208, Columbia, SC
- 2. Department of Mechanical Engineering, Chung Hua Polytechnique Institute, Hsin-Chu, Taiwan, R.O.C.
- 3. Institute for Experimental Mechanics, Ruhr University at Bochum, Germany