Shear characterization of unidirectional composites with the off-axis tension test
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The influence of end constraints on accurate determination of the intralaminar shear modulusG 12 from an off-axis tension test is examined both analytically and experimentally. The Pagano-Halpin model is employed to illustrate that, when the effect of end constraints is properly considered, the exact expression forG 12 is obtained. When the effect of end constraints is neglected, expressions for the apparent shear modulusG 12 * and apparent Young's modulusE xx * are obtained. Numerical comparison for various off-axis configurations and aspect ratios is carried out using typical material properties for graphite/polyimide unidirectional composites. It is demonstrated that the end-constraint effect influences accurate determination ofG 12 more adversely than it affects the laminate Young's modulusE xx in the low off-axis range. Experimental results obtained from off-axis tests on unidirectional Gr/Pi specimens confirm the above. Based on the presented analytical and experimental evidence, the 45-deg off-axis coupon is proposed for the determination of the intralaminar shear modulusG 12.
- Chamis, C.C., Sinclair, J.H. (1977) Ten-Degree Off-Axis Test for Shear Properties in Fiber Composites. Experimental Mechanics 17: pp. 339-339 CrossRef
- Chamis, C.C. (1972) Failure Criteria for Filamentary Composites. STP 460, Composite Materials: Testing and Design. ASTM, New Orleans, pp. 336-336
- Pagano, N.J., Halpin, J.C. (1968) Influence of End Constraints in the Testing of Anisotropic Bodies. J. Comp. Mat. 2: pp. 18-18
- Rizzo, R.R. (1969) More on the Influence of End Constraints on Off-Axis Tensile Tests. J. Comp. Mat. 3: pp. 202-202
- Pindera, M.J., Herakovich, C.T. (1981) An Endochronic Theory for Transversely Isotropic Fibrous Composites. Virgnia Polytechnic Instit. and State Univ., Blacksburg, VA
- Richards, G.L., Airhart, T.P., Ashton, J.E. (1969) Off-Axis Tensile Coupon Testing. J. Comp. Mat. 3: pp. 586-586
- Nemeth, M.P., Herakovich, C.T., Post, D. (1983) On the Off-Axis Tension Test for Unidirectional Composites. Comp. Tech. Rev. 5: pp. 61-61
- Wu, E., Thomas, R. (1968) Note on the Off-Axis Test for a Composite. J. Comp. Mat. 2: pp. 523-523
- Davis, J.G., Jr., ed., “Composites for Advanced Space Transportation Systems-(CASTS),” NASA TM 80038 (1979).
- “Errors Due to Transverse Sensitivity,” M-M Tech Note TN-137: Transverse Sensitivity Errors, Measurements Group, Inc., Raleigh, NC.
- Shear characterization of unidirectional composites with the off-axis tension test
Volume 26, Issue 1 , pp 103-112
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors