Towards RGB photoelasticity: Full-field automated photoelasticity in white light
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper a new full-field method for the automatic analysis of isochromatic fringes in white light is presented. The method, named RGB photoelasticity, eliminates the typical drawbacks of the classical approach to photoelasticity in white light which requires a subjective analysis of colors and an experienced analyst to acquire and interpret the results.
The proposed method makes it possible to determine retardations uniquely in the range of 0–3 fringe orders. For this purpose the isochromatics are acquired by means of a color video camera and the colors are decomposed in the three primary colors (red, green and blue) and compared to those stored in a calibration array in the system. Furthermore, the influence of various spurious effects on the accuracy of the proposed method is experimentally evaluated.
- Vicentini, V., and Molinar, G.F., “Elaborazione di dati fotoelastici per mezzo di un piccolo calcolatore e plotter,” Proc. 1st AIAS Conf. Dept. of Mech. and Aero. Univ. of Palermo, 59–70 (1972).
- Muller, R.K., Saackel, L.R. (1979) Complete Automatic Analysis of Photoelastic Fringes. Experimental Mechanics 19: pp. 245-251
- Segugi, Y., Tomita, Y., Watanabe, M. (1979) Computer-aided Fringe Pattern Analyzer: a Case of Photoelastic Fringes. Experimental Mechanics 12: pp. 362-370
- Conti, P. and Beghini, M., “Analisi fotoelastica assistita da calcolatore,” Proc. 14th AIAS Conf., Institute of Machines, University of Catania, 189–200, (1986).
- Gillies, R.C., Keskin, O., Telfer, D., Whiteley, K. (1987) An Image Processing Approach to Photoelastic Fringe Patterns. Spie 814: pp. 58-70
- Zhang, F., Su, M.Z., Chen, B. (1987) A Digital Image Processing System for Photoelastic Stress Analysis. Spie 814: pp. 806-809
- Unezaky, E., Tamaki, T., Takahashi, S. (1989) Automatic Stress Analysis of Photoelastic Experiments by Use of Image Processing. Experimental Techniques 13: pp. 22-27
- Merloni, R. and Paone, N., “Un sistema per l'elaborazione automatica delle frange fotoelastiche: sviluppo del metodo di misura ed analisi dell'incertezza,” Proc. 20th AIAS Conf., Dept. of Mech. and Aero., Univ. of Palermo, 99–108 (1991).
- Voloshin, A.S., Burger, C.P. (1983) Half Fringe Photoelasticity: a New Approach to Whole-field Stress Analysis. Experimental Mechanics 23: pp. 304-313 CrossRef
- Kobayashi, A.S. eds. (1987) Handbook on Experimental Mechanics. Prentice-Hall Inc. and SEM, Englewood Cliffs, NJ
- Wang, W.C., Chen, T.L. (1989) Half-fringe Photoelastic Determination of Opening Mode Stress Intensity Factor for Edge Cracked Strips. Eng. Fract. Mech. 32: pp. 111-122
- Brown, G.M., Sullivan, J.L. (1990) The Computer-aided Holophotoelastic Method. Experimental Mechanics 30: pp. 135-144
- Pasta, A. and Petrucci, G., “Determinazione del fattore delle intensificazione delle tensioni con la fototermoelasticità assistita,” Proc. 20th AIAS Conf., Dept. of Mech. and Aero., Univ. of Palermo, 109–119 (1991).
- Hecker, F.W. and Morche, B., “Computer-aided Measurement of Relative Retardations in Plane Photoelasticity,” Experimental Stress Analysis, ed. H. Wieringa, Martinus Nijhoff Publ., 535–542, (1986).
- Kihara, T. (1990) Automatic Whole-field Measurement of Photoelasticity Using Linear Polarized Incident Light. Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Exp. Mech., Copenhagen 2: pp. 821-827
- Mawatari, S., Takashi, M., Toyada, Y., Kunio, T. (1990) A Single Valued Representative Function for Determination of Principal Stress Direction in Photoelastic Analysis. Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Exp. Mech., Copenhagen 5: pp. 2069-2078
- Mawatari, S., Takashi, M., Toyada, Y., Kunio, T. (1990) A New Method of Computer-aided Fringe Order Determination of Isochromatics in Two Dimensional Photoelasticity. Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Exp. Mech., Copenhagen 5: pp. 2079-2087
- Patterson, E.A., Wang, Z.F. (1991) Towards Full Field Automated Photoelastic Analysis of Complex Components. Strain 27: pp. 49-56
- Alasia, F., Barbato, G., Basile, G. and Mosca, M., “Applicazione di un metodo interferometrico ad eterodina per misure fotoelastiche di elevata sensibilità,” Proc. 15th AIAS Conf., Dept. of Mech. and Nuclear Design, Univ. of Pisa, 155–167 (1987).
- Sciammarella, C.A. and Ahmadshahi, M.A., “Detection of Fringe Pattern Information Using a Computer Based Method,” Experimental Stress Analysis, ed. H. Wieringa, Martinus Nijhoff Publ., 359–368 (1986).
- Quan, C., Bryanston-Cross, P.J., Judge, T.R. (1993) Photoelastic Stress Analysis Using Carrier Fringe and FFT Techniques. Optics and Lasers in Eng. 18: pp. 79-108
- Redner, A.S. (1985) Photoelastic Measurements by Means of Computer-assisted Spectral Contents Analysis. Experimental Mechanics 25: pp. 148-153 CrossRef
- Redner, A.S. (1984) Photoelastic measurements of residual stress for NDE. Proc. of Spie 814: pp. 16-19
- Sanford, R.J. and Iyengar, V., “The Measurement of the Complete Photoelastic Fringe Order Using a Spectral Scanner,” Proc. 1985 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 160–168 (1985).
- Sanford, R.J., “On the Range of Accuracy of Spectrally Scanned White Light Photoelasticity,” Proc. 1986 SEM Conf. on Exp. Mech., 901–908 (1986).
- Voloshin, A.S., Redner, A.S. (1982) Automated Measurement of Birefringence: Development and Experimental Evaluation of the Techniques. Experimental Mechanics 29: pp. 252-257
- Marwitz, Kizler, Schuster, (1990) Improved Efficiency in Photoelastic Coatings. Fast Detection of Fringe Order Using Computer Controlled Spectrometry. Proc. 9th Int. Conf. on Exp. Mech., Copenhagen 2: pp. 828-838
- Ivanova, L., Nechev, G. (1990) A Method for Investigation of the Residual Stress in Glasses with Spectral Polariscope. Proc. of 9th Int. Conf. on Exp. Mech., Copenhagen 2: pp. 876-883
- Haake, S.J., Patterson, E.A. (1992) Photoelastic Analysis of Frozen Stressed Specimens Using Spectral-content Analysis. Experimental Mechanics 32: pp. 266-272
- Haake, S.J. and Patterson, E.A., “Photoelastic Analysis Using a Full Field Spectral Contents Analyser,” Int. Conf. on Photoelasticity: New Instrumentation, Materials and Data Processing Techniques, London (1993).
- Ajovalasit, A. and Petrucci, G., “Analisi automatica delle frange fotoelastiche in luce bianca,” Proc. 18th AIAS Conf., Institute of Mech. Eng., Univ. of Salerno, 395–407 (1990).
- Petrucci, G., “Un sistema completo per l'elaborazione delle frange fotoelastiche in luce bianca,” Proc. 20th AIAS Conf., Dept. of Mech. and Aero., Univ. of Palermo, 121–135 (1991).
- Ajovalasit, A., Barone, S. and Petrucci, G., “Automated Photoelasticity in White Light: Influence of Optical Retarders,” Int. Conf. on Photoelasticity: New Instrumentation, Materials and Data Processing Techniques, London (1993), and J. of Strain Analysis,30 (1), 29–34 (1995).
- Pratt, W.K. (1978) Digital Image Processing. John Wiley & Sons, New York
- Baud, R.V. (1931) Contribution to Study of Effect of Elliptical Polarization Upon Energy Transmission. J. Opt. Soc. of Amer. 21: pp. 119-123
- Towards RGB photoelasticity: Full-field automated photoelasticity in white light
Volume 35, Issue 3 , pp 193-200
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors