An overdeterministic approach for measuringK I using strain gages
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An overdeterministic method for determining the opening-mode stress-intensity factor,K I , from many measurements of the radial strain,∈ rr , is described. The method was verified with an experimental study of a compact-tension specimen where strains along the 0, 45 and 90-degree lines were measured using strip gages with ten strain sensors per strip gage. The results indicated errors in the range of one to three percent with three or four parameter models of the strain field in the region near the crack tip.
- Dally, J.W. and Sanford, R.J., “Strain Gage Methods for Measuring the Opening Mode Stress Intensity Factor, K I ,” Proc. 1985 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 851–860 (June 1985).
- Sanford, R.J., “A Critical Re-examination of the Westergaard Method for Solving Opening-Mode Crack Problems,”Mech. Res. Comm.,6 (5),289–294 (1979). CrossRef
- Westergaard, H.M., “Bearing Pressure and Cracks,”J. Appl. Mech.,6,A49-A53 (1939).
- Dally, J.W. and Berger, J.R., “A Strain Gage Method for Determining K I and K II in a Mixed Mode Stress Field,” Proc. 1986 SEM Spring Conf. on Exp. Mech., 603–612 (June 1986).
- Berger, J.R., “An Improved Method of Boundary Collocation for the Analysis of Finite Body Opening Mode Fracture Problems,” MS Thesis, Univ. of Maryland (Aug. 1986).
- Stewart, G.W., Introduction to Matrix Computations, Academic Press, Inc., Orlando, 230–242 (1973).
- Dongarra, J.J., Moler, C.B., Bunch, J.R. andStewart, G.W., Linpack Users' Guide, Soc. for Ind. and Appl. Math., Philadelphia, 9.1–9.25 (1979).
- ASTM-Standard E399-83, “Standard Test Methods for Plane-Strain Fracture Toughness of Metallic Materials,” 1983 Annual Book of ASTM Standards,03.01,ASTM (1983).
- Chona, R., “Non-Singular Stress Effects in Fracture Test Specimens A Photoelastic Study,” MS Thesis, Univ. of Maryland (Aug. 1985).
- An overdeterministic approach for measuringK I using strain gages
Volume 28, Issue 2 , pp 142-145
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors