Measurement of deformations on concrete subjected to compression using image correlation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Because the nature of failure in concrete is complicated due to the material heterogeneity, a robust measuring method is essential to obtain reliable deformation data. A nondestructive displacement evaluation system using a digital image cross-correlation scheme, often called computer vision, is developed to make microscopic examinations of the fracture processes in concrete. This is a full-field measuring method that gives an accuracy within the micron range for a 100 mm × 75 mm viewing area. A feedback signal that combines the lateral and axial deformations provides a well-balanced imaging rate both before and after the peak load. Displacement vector diagrams or displacement contour maps of concrete reveal highly nonuniform deformations even in the elastic range. The processes of fracture in concrete are well defined at different deformation levels.
- Ahmad, S.H. and Shah, S.P., “Complete Stress-strain Curve of Concrete and Nonlinear Design,” Proc. Nonlinear Design of Concrete Structures, CSCE-ASCE-ACI-CEB International Symposium, Waterloo, 61–81 (1979).
- Bruck, H.A., McNeill, S.R., Sutton, M.A. andPeters, W.H. III, “Digital Image Correlation Using Newton-Raphson Method of Partial Differential Correlation,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,28 (3)261–267 (1989).
- Castro-Montero, A., Jia, Z. andShah, S.P., “Evaluation of Damage in Brazilian Test Using Holographic Interferometry,”ACI Mat. J.,12 (3),268–275 (1995).
- Choi, S., Thienel, K.-C. andShah, S.P., “Strain Softening of Concrete in Compression under Different End Constraints,”Magazine of Concrete Research,48 (175),103–115 (1996).
- Chu, T.C., Ranson, W.F., Sutton, M.A. andPeters, W.H., “Applications of Digital-image-correlation Techniques to Experimental Mechanics,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,25 (3),232–244 (1985). CrossRef
- Dawicke, D.S. andSutton, M.A., “CTOA and Crack-tunneling Measurements in Thin Sheet 2024-T3 Aluminum Alloy,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,34 (4),357–368 (1994). CrossRef
- Franke, E.A., Wenzel, D.J. andDavidson, D.L., “Measurement of Microdisplacements by Machine Vision Photogrammetry (DISMAP),”Rev. Sci. Instrum.,62 (5),1270–1279 (1991). CrossRef
- Gonzalez, R.C. andWoods, R.E., Digital Image Processing, Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA (1992).
- Han, G., Sutton, M.A. andChao, Y.J., “A Study of Stationary Crack-tip Deformation Fields in Thin Sheets by Computer Vision,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,34 (2),125–140 (1994). CrossRef
- Hillerborg, A., “Stability Problems in Fracture Mechanics Testing,”Fracture of Concrete and Rock: Recent Developments, eds. S.P. Shah, S.E. Swartz andB. Barr, Elsevier, London and New York, 369–378 (1989).
- Hudson, J.A., Crouch, S.L. andFairhurst, C., “Soft, Stiff and Servocontrolled Testing Machines: A Review with Reference to Rock Failure,”Eng. Geology,6 (3),155–189 (1972).
- Jansen, D., Shah, S.P. andRossow, E., “Stress Strain Result of Concrete from Circumferential Strain Feedback Control Testing,”ACI Mat. J. 92 (4),419–428 (1995).
- Jia, Z. andShah, S.P., “Two-dimensional Electronic, Speckle Pattern Interferometry and Concrete Fracture Processes,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,34 (3),262–270 (1994).
- Kotsovos, M.D., “Effect of Testing Techniques on the Post-ultimate Behavior of Concrete in Compression,”Mat. Struct.,16 (91),3–12 (1983).
- Luo, P.F., Chao, Y.J., Sutton, M.A. andPeters, W.H. III, “Accurate Measurement of Three-dimensional Deformations in Deformable and Rigid Bodies Using Computer Vision,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,33 123–132 (1993).
- Maji, A.K., Tasdemir, M.A. andShah, S.P., “Mixed Mode Crack Propagation in Quasi-brittle Materials,”Eng. Fract. Mech.,38 (2–3),129–145 (1991).
- Okubo, S. andNishimatsu, Y., “Uniaxial Compression Testing Using a Linear Combination of Stress and Strain as the Control Variable,”Int. J. Rock Mech. Mining Sci. & Geomech. Abstracts,22 (5),323–330 (1985).
- Peters, W.H. andRanson, W.F., “Digital Imaging Techniques in Experimental Stress Analysis,”Opt. Eng.,21 (3),427–431 (1982).
- Pratt, W.K., Digital Image Processing, 2nd ed., John Wiley, New York (1991).
- Rosenfeld, A. andVandenburg, G.J., “Coarse-fine Template Matching,”IEEE Trans. Systems, Man and Cybernetics,SMC-2,104–107 (1977).
- Shah, S. P., “Problems in Determining Stress-strain Characteristics of High Strength Concrete,” Proc. Fracture in Concrete-ASCE Annual Conf., Portland, OR (1980).
- Shah, S.P., Gokoz, U. andAnsari, F., “An Experimental Technique for Obtaining Complete Stress-strain Curves for High Strength Concrete,”Cement, Concrete, and Aggregates,3 (1),22–27 (1981).
- Shah, S.P. andSankar, R., “Internal Cracking and Strain-softening Response of Concrete under Uniaxial Compression,”ACI Mat. J.,84 (3),200–212 (1987).
- Shao, Y., Li, Z. andShah, S.P., “Matrix Cracking and Interface Debonding in Fiber-reinforced Cement-matrix Composites,”J. Adv. Cement-based Mat.,1 (2),55–66 (1993).
- Sutton, M.A., Bruck, H.A. andMcNeill, S.R., “Determination of Deformations Using Digital Correlation with the Newton Raphson Method and Partial Differential Correlations,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,29 (3),261–267 (1989).
- Sutton, M.A., McNeill, S.R., Jang, J. andBabai, M., “Effects of Subpixel Image Restoration on Digital Correlation Error Estimates,”Opt. Eng.,27 (10),870–877 (1988).
- Sutton, M.A., Turner, J.L., Bruck, H.A. andChae, T.A., “Full-field Representation of Discretely Sampled Surface Deformation for Displacement and Strain Analysis,” EXPERIMENTAL MECHANICS,31 (2),168–177 (1991). CrossRef
- Sutton, M.A., Turner, J.L., Chao, Y.J., Bruck, H.A. andChae, T.L., “Experimental Investigations of Three-dimensional Effects Near a Crack Tip Using Computer Vision,”Int. J. Fract.,53,201–228 (1992).
- Wang, F., Shah, S. P. andNaaman, A.E., “Stress-strain Curves for Normal and Lightweight Concrete in Compression,”J. Am. Concrete Inst.,75 (11),603–611 (1978).
- Xi, Y., Bergstrom, T.B. andJennings, H.M., “Image Intensity Matching Technique: Application to the Environmental Scanning Electron Microscope,”Computational Mat. Sci.,2,249–260 (1994).
- Measurement of deformations on concrete subjected to compression using image correlation
Volume 37, Issue 3 , pp 307-313
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- feedback signal
- digital image cross correlation
- nondestructive evaluation
- Industry Sectors