Long-term results after liver transplantation for primary hepatic epithelioid hemangioendothelioma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background: Hepatic epithelioid hemangioendothelioma (PHEHE) is a multifocal, low-grade malignant neoplasia characterized by its epithelial-like appearance and vascular endothelial histogenesis. The outcome of 16 patients treated with orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT) is the subject of this report.
Methods: A retrospective study of 16 patients with HEHE (7 men, 9 women) with ages ranging from 24 to 58 years (mean 37 ± 10.6 years). Follow-up intervals ranged from 1 to 15 years (median of 4.5 years).
Results: Actual patient survival at 1, 3, and 5 years was 100, 87.5, and 71.3%, respectively. Disease-free survival at 1, 3, and 5 years was 81.3, 68.8, and 60.2%, respectively. The 90-day operative mortality was 0. Involvement of the hilar lymph nodes or vascular invasion did not affect survival. The 5-year survival of HEHE compares favorably with that of hepatocellular carcinoma at the same stage (stage 4A): 71.3 versus 9.8% (p=0.001)
Conclusions: The long-term survival obtained in this series justifies OLT for these tumors even in the presence of limited extrahepatic disease.
- Weiss, SW, Enzinger, FM (1982) Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma. Cancer 50: pp. 970-81
- Ishak, KG, Sesterhen, IA, Goodman, MZD, Rabin, L, Stromeyer, FW (1984) Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver: a clinicopathologic and follow-up study of 32 cases. Hum Pathol 15: pp. 839-52
- Manual for staging of cancer. JB Lippincott, Philadelphia
- Hermanek, P, Sobin, LH eds. (1987) TNM classification of malignant tumors. Springer-Verlag, Berlin
- Starzl, TE, Iwatsuki, S, Esquivel, CO (1985) Refinements in the surgical technique of liver transplantation. Semin Liver Dis 5: pp. 349-56
- Marino IR, Todo S, Tzakis AG, Klintmalm G, Kelleher M, Iwatsuki S, Starzl TE, et al. Treatment of hepatic hemangioendothelioma with liver transplantation.Cancer 1988;2079–84.
- Koneru, B, Cassavilla, A, Bowman, J, Iwatsuki, S, Starzl, TE (1988) Liver transplantation for malignant tumors. Gastroenerol Clin North Am 17: pp. 177-93
- Iwatsuki, S, Starzl, TE, Sheahan, DG, Yokoyama, I, Demetris, AJ, Todo, S, Tzakis, AG (1991) Hepatic resection versus transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma. Ann Surg 214: pp. 221-9
- Weiss, SW, Ishak, KG, Dail, DH, Enzinger, FM (1982) Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma—a vascular tumor often mistaken for a carcinoma. Cancer 50: pp. 970-81
- Dean PJ, Haggitt C, O'Hara CJ. Malignant epitheliohemangioendothelioma of the liver in young women: relationship to oral contraceptive use.Am J Surg Pathol 1985;695–704.
- Kelleher, MB, Iwatsuki, S, Sheahan, DG (1989) Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of liver. Am J Surg Pathol 13: pp. 999-1008
- Gordon, RD, Fung, J, Tzakis, AG, Todo, S, Stieber, A, Bronsther, O, Martin, M (1991) Liver transplantation at the University of Pittsburgh 1984–1990. Clinical transplants 1991. UCLA Tissue Typing Laboratory, Los Angeles, pp. 105-88
- Scoazec, JY, Lamy, P, Degott, C, Reynes, M, Feldmann, G, Bismuth, H, Benhamon, GP (1988) Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver: diagnostic features and role of liver transplantation. Gastroenterology 94: pp. 1447-53
- O'Grady, JG, Polson, RJ, Rollo, SK, Calne, RY, Williams, R (1988) Liver transplantation for malignant disease: results in 93 consecutive patients. Ann Surg 207: pp. 373-9
- Tereda, T, Hoso, M, Kono, N, Watanabe, K, Nakanuma, Y (1989) Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver in primary biliary cirrhosis: a case report. Acta Pathol Jpn 39: pp. 607-11
- Dean, PJ, Haggitt, RC, O'Hara, CJ (1985) Malignant epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver in young women: relationship to oral contraceptive use. Am J Surg Pathol 9: pp. 695-704
- Holley, MP, Cuschieeri, A (1989) Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver: objective response to hepatic intraarterial 5-FU. Eur J Surg Oncol 15: pp. 73-8
- Long-term results after liver transplantation for primary hepatic epithelioid hemangioendothelioma
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 2, Issue 6 , pp 483-487
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Liver transplantation
- Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. the Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- 3. the Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA