Long-term results after liver transplantation for primary hepatic epithelioid hemangioendothelioma
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background: Hepatic epithelioid hemangioendothelioma (PHEHE) is a multifocal, low-grade malignant neoplasia characterized by its epithelial-like appearance and vascular endothelial histogenesis. The outcome of 16 patients treated with orthotopic liver transplantation (OLT) is the subject of this report.
Methods: A retrospective study of 16 patients with HEHE (7 men, 9 women) with ages ranging from 24 to 58 years (mean 37 ± 10.6 years). Follow-up intervals ranged from 1 to 15 years (median of 4.5 years).
Results: Actual patient survival at 1, 3, and 5 years was 100, 87.5, and 71.3%, respectively. Disease-free survival at 1, 3, and 5 years was 81.3, 68.8, and 60.2%, respectively. The 90-day operative mortality was 0. Involvement of the hilar lymph nodes or vascular invasion did not affect survival. The 5-year survival of HEHE compares favorably with that of hepatocellular carcinoma at the same stage (stage 4A): 71.3 versus 9.8% (p=0.001)
Conclusions: The long-term survival obtained in this series justifies OLT for these tumors even in the presence of limited extrahepatic disease.
- Weiss SW, Enzinger FM. Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma.Cancer 1982;50:970–81.
- Ishak KG, Sesterhen IA, Goodman MZD, Rabin L, Stromeyer FW. Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver: a clinicopathologic and follow-up study of 32 cases.Hum Pathol 1984;15:839–52.
- American Joint Committee on Cancer.Manual for staging of cancer, 3rd ed. Philadelphia: JB Lippincott, 1987:87–92.
- Hermanek P, Sobin LH, eds.TNM classification of malignant tumors, 4th ed. Berlin: Springer-Verlag, 1987:53–5.
- Starzl TE, Iwatsuki S, Esquivel CO, et al. Refinements in the surgical technique of liver transplantation.Semin Liver Dis 1985;5:349–56.
- Marino IR, Todo S, Tzakis AG, Klintmalm G, Kelleher M, Iwatsuki S, Starzl TE, et al. Treatment of hepatic hemangioendothelioma with liver transplantation.Cancer 1988;2079–84.
- Koneru B, Cassavilla A, Bowman J, Iwatsuki S, Starzl TE. Liver transplantation for malignant tumors.Gastroenerol Clin North Am 1988;17:177–93.
- Iwatsuki S, Starzl TE, Sheahan DG, Yokoyama I, Demetris AJ, Todo S, Tzakis AG, et al. Hepatic resection versus transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma.Ann Surg 1991;214:221–9.
- Weiss SW, Ishak KG, Dail DH, Enzinger FM. Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma—a vascular tumor often mistaken for a carcinoma.Cancer 1982;50:970–81.
- Dean PJ, Haggitt C, O'Hara CJ. Malignant epitheliohemangioendothelioma of the liver in young women: relationship to oral contraceptive use.Am J Surg Pathol 1985;695–704.
- Kelleher MB, Iwatsuki S, Sheahan DG. Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of liver.Am J Surg Pathol 1989;13:999–1008.
- Gordon RD, Fung J, Tzakis AG, Todo S, Stieber A, Bronsther O, Martin M, et al. Liver transplantation at the University of Pittsburgh 1984–1990. In:Clinical transplants 1991. Los Angeles: UCLA Tissue Typing Laboratory, 1991:105–88.
- Scoazec JY, Lamy P, Degott C, Reynes M, Feldmann G, Bismuth H, Benhamon GP. Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver: diagnostic features and role of liver transplantation.Gastroenterology 1988;94:1447–53.
- O'Grady JG, Polson RJ, Rollo SK, Calne RY, Williams R. Liver transplantation for malignant disease: results in 93 consecutive patients.Ann Surg 1988;207:373–9.
- Tereda T, Hoso M, Kono N, Watanabe K, Nakanuma Y. Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver in primary biliary cirrhosis: a case report.Acta Pathol Jpn 1989;39:607–11.
- Dean PJ, Haggitt RC, O'Hara CJ. Malignant epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver in young women: relationship to oral contraceptive use.Am J Surg Pathol 1985;9:695–704.
- Holley MP, Cuschieeri A. Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma of the liver: objective response to hepatic intraarterial 5-FU.Eur J Surg Oncol 1989;15:73–8.
- Long-term results after liver transplantation for primary hepatic epithelioid hemangioendothelioma
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 2, Issue 6 , pp 483-487
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Liver transplantation
- Epithelioid hemangioendothelioma
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. the Department of Surgery, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
- 3. the Department of Pathology, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA