Repeat hepatic resection as effective treatment for recurrent colorectal liver metastases
- Todd M. TuttleAffiliated withthe Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
- , Steven A. CurleyAffiliated withthe Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
- , Mark S. RohAffiliated withthe Department of Surgical Oncology, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background: Approximately 20–40% of patients who undergo liver resection for colorectal metastases develop recurrent disease confined to the liver. The goals of this study were to determine whether the survival benefit of repeat hepatic resection justified the potential morbidity and mortality.
Methods: A retrospective review was performed on all patients who underwent liver resection for colorectal cancer metastases between 1983 and 1995 (N=202). Repeat liver resections were performed on 23 patients for recurrent metastases.
Results: There were no operative deaths in the 23 patients, and the postoperative morbidity rate was 22%. The 5-year actuarial survival rate after repeat resection was 32%, with a median length of survival of 39.9 months. There were three patients who survived for >5 years after repeat resection. Sixteen patients (70%) developed recurrent disease at a median interval of 11 months after the second resection; 10 of these 16 patients (62%) had new hepatic metastases. No clinical or pathological factors were significant in predicting long-term survival.
Conclusions: Repeat liver resection for recurrent colorectal metastases (a) can be performed safely with acceptable mortality and morbidity rates and (b) may result in long-term survival in some patients.
Key WordsHepatic resection Colorectal liver cancer Liver metastases Repeat hepatic resection
- Repeat hepatic resection as effective treatment for recurrent colorectal liver metastases
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 4, Issue 2 , pp 125-130
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Hepatic resection
- Colorectal liver cancer
- Liver metastases
- Repeat hepatic resection
- Industry Sectors