The impact of patterns of nodal metastasis on modifications of neck dissection
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Background: Radical neck dissection (RND) is standard treatment for cervical metastasis from head and neck cancer. Although effective, RND produces significant morbidity. In an effort to reduce this morbidity, modifications of RND have been developed. These modifications can be comprehensive yet spare some or all of the nonlymphatic structures removed in RND, or they can remove less than all the lymph node groups removed in RND and are termed selective neck dissections. We have reviewed the literature regarding the patterns of nodal metastasis from head and neck cancer to define the indications for these modifications of RND.
Methods: A review of the literature concerning patterns of nodal metastasis from head and neck cancer was performed. Using this information, recommendations on the use of modifications of neck dissection were formulated.
Results: In squamous cancers, with clinically negative neck supraomohyoid neck dissection is an adequate node sampling procedure for oral cavity and oropharyngeal lesions, and lateral (jugular) neck dissection for primary lesions of the hypopharynx, and larynx. In the clinically positive neck comprehensive neck dissection with preservation of the spinal accessory nerve is oncologically sound.
Conclusions: Nodal metastasis of head and neck cancer occurs in predictable patterns. Based on these patterns of nodal metastasis, recommendations for the use of modifications of neck dissection are presented.
- Boring CC, Squires TS, Tong T. Cancer statistics, 1993.CA 1993;43:7–26.
- Parkin DM, Muir CS, Laara E. Global burden of cancer. In:World Health Organization and International Agency for Research on Cancer, Biennial Report 1986-87. Lyon, France: IARC, 1987:11.
- Shah JP. Cancer of the upper aerodigestive tract. In: Alfonso AE, Gardner B, eds.The practice of cancer surgery. New York: Appleton-Century-Crofts, 1982.
- Butlin HI, Spencer WG.Diseases of the tongue. 2nd ed. London: Cassell, 1900.
- Crile G. Excision of cancer of the head and neck with special reference to the plan of dissection based on one hundred and thirty-two operations.JAMA 1906;47:1780–6.
- Martin H. The treatment of cervical metastatic cancer.Ann Surg 1944;114:972–86.
- Martin H, DelValle B, Enrlich H, Cahan EG. Neck dissection.Cancer 1951;4:441–99.
- Nahum AM, Mullally W, Marmor L. A syndrome resulting from radical neck dissection.Arch Otolaryngol 1961;74:82–6.
- Ballantyne AJ, Guinn GA. Reduction of shoulder disability after neck dissection.Am J Surg 1966;112:662–7. CrossRef
- Short SO, Kaplan JN, Laramore GE, Cummings CW. Shoulder pain and function after neck dissection with or without preservation of the spinal accessory nerve.Am J Surg 1984;148:478–82.
- Schuller DE, Reiches NA, Hamaker RC, et al. Analysis of disability resulting from treatment including radical neck dissection or modified neck dissection.Head Neck Surg 1983;6:551–8.
- Byers RM. Modified neck dissection: a study of 967 cases from 1970 to 1980.Am J Surg 1985;150:414–21. CrossRef
- Johnson JT, Barnes EL, Meyers EN, Schram VL. The extracapsular spread of tumors in cervical node metastasis.Arch Otolaryngol 1981;107:725–9.
- Fletcher GH. Elective irradiation of subclinical disease in cancers of the head and neck.Cancer 1972;29:1450.
- Rouviere H.Anatomy of the human lymphatic system. Ann Arbor, MI: Edwards Brothers, 1938.
- Haagensen CD, Feind CR, Herter FP, et al., eds.The lymphatics in cancer. Philadelphia, PA: WB Saunders, 1972.
- Robbins KT, Medina JE, Wolfe GT, Levine PA, Sessions RB, Pruet CW. Standardizing neck dissection terminology.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1991;117:601–5.
- Fisch UP, Sigel ME. Cervical lymphatic system as visualized by lymphography.Ann Otol Rhinol Laryngol 1964;73:869–82.
- Teichgaeber JF, Clairmont AA. Incidence of occult metastases for cancer of the oral tongue and floor of mouth: treatment rational.Head Neck Surg 1984;7:15–21.
- Spiro JD, Spiro RH, Shah JP, Sessions RB, Strong EW. Critical assessment of supraomohyoid neck dissection.Am J Surg 1988;156:286–9.
- Shah JP. Patterns of cervical lymph node metastasis from squamous carcinomas of the upper aerodigestive tract.Am J Surg 1990;160:405–9.
- Lindberg R. Distribution of cervical lymph node metastases from squamous cell carcinoma of the upper respiratory and digestive tracts.Cancer 1972;29:1446–8.
- Byers RM, Wolf PF, Ballantyne AJ. Rationale for modified neck dissection.Head Neck Surg 1988;10:160–7.
- Shah JP, Candela FC, Poddar AK. The patterns of cervical lymph node metastases from squamous carcinoma of the oral cavity.Cancer 1990;66:109–13.
- Candela FC, Kothari K, Shah JP. Patterns of cervical node metastases from squamous carcinoma of the oropharynx and hypopharynx.Head Neck 1990;12:197–203.
- Candela FC, Shah J, Jaques DP, Shah J. Patterns of cervical node metastases from squamous carcinoma of the larynx.Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 1990;116:432–5.
- Davidson BJ, Kulkarny V, Delacure MD, Shah JP. Posterior triangle metastases of squamous cell carcinoma of the upper aerodigestive tract.Am J Surg 1993;166:395–8.
- Spiro RH, Gallo O, Shah JP. Selective jugular node dissection in patients with squamous carcinoma of the larynx or pharynx.Am J Surg 1993;166:399–402.
- Bocca E, Pignataro O, Oldini C, Cappa C. Functional neck dissection: an evaluation and review of 843 cases.Laryngoscope 1984;94:942–5.
- Lingeman RE, Helmus C, Stephens R, Ulm J. Neck dissection: radical or conservative.Ann Otol 1977;86:737–44.
- Khafif RA, Gelfish GA, Asase DK, Tepper P, Attie JN. Modified radical neck dissection in cancer of the mouth, pharynx, and larynx.Head Neck 1990;12:476–82.
- Andersen PE, Cambronero E, Spiro RH, Shah JP. The role of comprehensive neck dissection with preservation of the spinal accessory nerve in the clinically positive neck.Am J Surg (in press).
- Armstrong JG, Harrison LB, Thaler HT, et al. The indication of elective treatment of the neck in cancer of the major salivary glands.Cancer 1992;69:615–9.
- Shah JP, Kraus D, Dubner S, Sarkar S. Patterns of regional lymph node metastasis from cutaneous melanoma of the head and neck.Am J Surg 1991;162:320–3.
- The impact of patterns of nodal metastasis on modifications of neck dissection
Annals of Surgical Oncology
Volume 1, Issue 6 , pp 521-532
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Modified neck dissection
- Metastatic patterns
- Industry Sectors