Gas chromatographic determination of impurities in nitromethane
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Impurities in commercially available nitromethane have been determined by gas-liquid chromatography using six different column packings. Besides nitromethane, 1-nitropropane, 2-nitropropane, acetonitrile, methanol, small amounts of ethanol and acetaldehyde have been detected. The presence of formaldehyde, ethyl acetate and acetone is probable. Mixtures containing comparable amounts of the four nitroalkanes could be separated on all columns, but plots of logarithms of the retention times vs. carbon number or boiling points of the nitroalkanes or column temperatures were linear only in case of columns packed with Porapak R and Q.
- A. Wielopolski, Technologia chemiczna organizna (Chemical Organic Technology), PWN (Polish Scientific Publishers), Warsaw, 1959.
- Organic Solvents. Physical Properties and Methods of Purification, I. Edition byA. Weissberger andE. S. Proskauer, 2. completely revised edition byJ. A. Riddick andE. E. Toops Jr., Interscience New York, 1955.
- J. F. Coetzee andG. P. Cunningham, J. Am. Chem. Soc.87, 2529 (1965).
- S. Boneva, I. Mladenow andP. Toromanowa, Chromatographia11, 26 (1978). CrossRef
- Gas chromatographic determination of impurities in nitromethane
Volume 13, Issue 1 , pp 35-39
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Gas chromatography
- Industry Sectors