A least squares algorithm for fitting additive trees to proximity data
- Geert De Soete
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A least squares algorithm for fitting additive trees to proximity data is described. The algorithm uses a penalty function to enforce the four point condition on the estimated path length distances. The algorithm is evaluated in a small Monte Carlo study. Finally, an illustrative application is presented.
- Carroll, J. D., & Pruzansky, S.Fitting of hierarchical tree structure (HTS) models, mixtures of HTS models, and hybrid models via mathematical programming and alternating least squares. Paper presented at the U.S.-Japan Seminar on Theory, Methods, and Applications of Multidimensional Scaling and Related Techniques, San Diego, August 1975.
- Furnas, G. W.The construction of random, terminally labeled, binary trees. Unpublished paper, Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, New Jersey, 1981.
- Carroll, J. D. Spatial, nonspatial and hybrid models for scaling.Psychometrika, 1976,41, 439–463.
- Carroll, J. D., & Pruzansky, S. Discrete and hybrid scaling models. In E. D. Lantermann & H. Feger (Eds.),Similarity and choice. Bern: Huber, 1980.
- Cunningham, J. P. Free trees and bidirectional trees as representations of psychological distance.Journal of Mathematical Psychology, 1978,17, 165–188.
- Dobson, A. J. Unrooted trees for numerical taxonomy.Journal of Applied Probability, 1974,11, 32–42.
- Kuennapas, T., & Janson, A. J. Multidimensional similarity of letters.Perceptual & Motor Skills, 1969,28, 3–12.
- Powell, M. J. D. Restart procedures for the conjugate gradient method.Mathematical Programming, 1977,12, 241–254.
- Pruzansky, S., Tversky, A., & Carroll, J. D. Spatial versus tree representations of proximity data.Psychometrika, 1982,47, 3–24.
- Sattath, S., & Tversky, A. Additive similarity trees.Psychometrika, 1977,42, 319–345.
- A least squares algorithm for fitting additive trees to proximity data
Volume 48, Issue 4 , pp 621-626
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- tree structures
- proximity data
- Industry Sectors
- Geert De Soete (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Psychology, University of Ghent, Henri Dunantlaan 2, B-9000, Ghent, Belgium