Contributions to factor analysis of dichotomous variables
- Bengt Muthén
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new method is proposed for the factor analysis of dichotomous variables. Similar to the method of Christoffersson this uses information from the first and second order proportions to fit a multiple factor model. Through a transformation into a new set of sample characteristics, the estimation is considerably simplified. A generalized least-squares estimator is proposed, which asymptotically is as efficient as the corresponding estimator of Christoffersson, but which demands less computing time.
- Gruvaeus, G. T., Jöreskog, K. G. (1970) A computer program for minimizing a function of several variables. Educational Testing Service, Princeton, N. J.
- Muthen, B. & Dahlqvist, B.FADIC. Factor analysis of dichotomous variables. A Fortran IV computer program in preparation, 1978.
- Bock, R. D., Lieberman, M. (1970) Fitting a response model forn dichotomously scored items. Psychometrika 35: pp. 179-197
- Christoffersson, A. (1975) Factor analysis of dichotomized variables. Psychometrika 40: pp. 5-32
- Cramér, H. (1946) Mathematical methods of statistics. Princeton University Press, Princeton, N. J.
- Fletcher, R., Powell, M. J. D. (1963) A rapidly convergent descent method for minimization. The Computer Journal 6: pp. 163-168
- Jöreskog, K. G. Factor analysis by least squares and maximum likelihood methods. In: Enslein, K., Ralston, K. A., Wilf, M.S. eds. (1977) Statistical methods for digital computers. Wiley, N. Y.
- Kirk, D. B. (1973) On the numerical approximation of the bivariate normal (tetrachoric) correlation coefficient. Psychometrika 38: pp. 259-268
- Lord, F., Novick, H. (1968) Statistical theories of mental test scores. Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, Reading, Mass.
- Rotter, J. B. Generalized expectancies for internal versus external control of reinforcement.Psychological Monographs, 1966,80, (Whole Number 609).
- Contributions to factor analysis of dichotomous variables
Volume 43, Issue 4 , pp 551-560
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- multiple factor model
- first and second order proportions
- generalized least-squares
- tetrachoric correlations
- Industry Sectors
- Bengt Muthén (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Statistics, University of Uppsala, P.O. Box 513, S-751 20, Uppsala, Sweden