Simultaneous factor analysis of dichotomous variables in several groups
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A new method is proposed for a simultaneous factor analysis of dichotomous responses from several groups of individuals. The method makes it possible to compare factor loading pattern, factor variances and covariances, and factor means over groups. The method uses information from first and second order proportions and estimates the model by generalized least-squares. Hypotheses regarding different degrees of invariance over groups may be evaluated by a large-sample chi-square test.
- Gruvaeus, G. T., & Jöreskog, K. G.A computer program for minimizing a function of a several variables (Research Bulletin 70-14). Princeton, N. J.: Educational Testing Service, 1970.
- Muthén, B., & Dahlqvist, B. LADI-A—Latent analysis of dichotomous indicators: User's guide. Department of Statistics, University of Uppsala, 1980 (Preliminary version).
- Bock, R. D., & Lieberman, M. Fitting a response model forn dichotomously scored items.Psychometrika, 1970,35, 179–197.
- Christoffersson, A. Factor analysis of dichotomized variables.Psychometrika, 1975,40, 5–32.
- Fletcher, R., & Powell, M. J. D. A rapidly convergent descent method for minimization.The Computer Journal, 1963,6, 163–168.
- Haberman, S.Analysis of qualitative data, Vol. I: Introductory topics. New York: Academic Press, 1978.
- Haberman, S.Analysis of qualitative data, Vol. II: New developments. New York: Academic Press, 1979.
- Jöreskog, K. G. Simultaneous factor analysis in several populations.Psychometrika, 1971,36, 409–426.
- Jöreskog, K. G. Analysis of covariance structures.Scandinavian Journal of Statistics, 1981, in press.
- Lord, F., & Novick, H.Statistical theories of mental test scores. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley Publishing Company, 1968.
- Muthén, B. Contributions to factor analysis of dichotomous variables.Psychometrika, 1978,43, 551–560.
- Muthén, B. Factor analysis of dichotomous variables: American attitudes toward abortion. In D. J. Jackson & E. F. Borgatta (Eds.),Factor analysis and measurement in sociological research: A multidimensional perspective. London: Sage Publications, 1981.
- Olsson, U. On the robustness of factor analysis against crude classification of the observations.Multivariate Behavioral Research, 1979, 14, 485–500.
- Sörbom, D. A general method for studying differences in factor means and factor structure between groups.British Journal of Mathematical and Statistical Psychology, 1974, 27, 229–239.
- Sörbom, D. Structural equation models with structured means. In K. G. Jöreskog and H. Wold (Eds.),Systems under indirect observation: Causality, structure, prediction. Amsterdam: North-Holland Publishing Co., 1981.
- Simultaneous factor analysis of dichotomous variables in several groups
Volume 46, Issue 4 , pp 407-419
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- group comparisons
- invariant measurement parameters
- factor means
- Industry Sectors