A k-sample significance test for independent alpha coefficients
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The earlier two-sample procedure of Feldt  for comparing independent alpha reliability coefficients is extended to the case ofK ≥ 2 independent samples. Details of a normalization of the statistic under consideration are presented, leading to computational procedures for the overallK-group significance test and accompanying multiple comparisons. Results based on computer simulation methods are presented, demonstrating that the procedures control Type I error adequately. The results of a power comparison of the case ofK=2 with Feldt's F test are also presented. The differences in power were negligible. Some final observations, along with suggestions for further research, are noted.
- Nitko, A. J.The power functions of some proposed tests for significance of coefficient alpha in the one-sample and two-sample cases. Unpublished doctoral dissertation, University of Iowa, 1968.
- Cronbach, L. J. Coefficient alpha and the internal structure of tests.Psychometrika, 1951,16, 297–334.
- Feldt, L. S. The approximate sampling distribution of Kuder-Richardson reliability coefficient twenty.Psychometrika, 1965,30, 357–370.
- Feldt, L. S. A test of the hypothesis that Cronbach's alpha or Kuder-Richardson coefficient twenty is the same for two tests.Psychometrika, 1969,34, 363–373.
- Hays, W. L.Statistics for psychologists. New York: Holt, Rinehart & Winston, 1963.
- Koehler, R. A. A comparison of the validities of conventional choice testing and various confidence marking procedures.Journal of Educational Measurement, 1971,8, 297–303.
- Kristof, W. The statistical theory of stepped-up reliability coefficients when a test has been divided into several equivalent parts.Psychometrika, 1963,28, 221–238.
- Li, C. C.Introduction to experimental statistics. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1964.
- Lord, F. M. Sampling fluctuations resulting from the sampling of test items.Psychometrika, 1955,20, 1–22.
- Lord, F. M., and Novick, M.Statistical theories of mental test scores. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley, 1968.
- Marascuilo, L. A. Large-sample multiple comparisons.Psychological Bulletin, 1966,65, 280–290.
- Paulson, E. An approximate normalization of the analysis of variance distribution.Annals of Mathematical Statistics, 1942,13, 233–235.
- Rao, C. R.Linear statistical inference and its applications. New York: Wiley, 1965.
- Scheffé, H.The analysis of variance. New York: Wiley, 1959.
- Wilson, E. B., and Hilferty, M. M. The distribution of chi-square.Proceedings of the National Academy of Science, 1931,17, 684–688.
- A k-sample significance test for independent alpha coefficients
Volume 41, Issue 2 , pp 219-231
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- internal consistency
- comparison of reliability coefficients
- Industry Sectors