Estimating item parameters and latent ability when responses are scored in two or more nominal categories
- R. Darrell Bock
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A multivariate logistic latent trait model for items scored in two or more nominal categories is proposed. Statistical methods based on the model provide 1) estimation of two item parameters for each response alternative of each multiple choice item and 2) recovery of information from “wrong” responses when estimating latent ability. An application to a large sample of data for twenty vocabulary items shows excellent fit of the model according to a chi-square criterion. Item and test information curves are compared for estimation of ability assuming multiple category and dichotomous scoring of these items. Multiple scoring proves substantially more precise for subjects of less than median ability, and about equally precise for subjects above the median.
- Aitchison, J. and Silvey, S. D. The generalization of probit analysis to the case of multiple responses.Biometrika, 1957,44, 131–140.
- Beck, S. J.Rorschach's test, Vol. I. New York: Grune & Stratton, 1950.
- Birnbaum, A. Estimation of ability. In F. M. Lord and M. Novick,Statistical theories of test scores. Reading, Mass.: Addison-Wesley, 1968.
- Bock, R. D. Estimating multinomial response relations. In R. C. Bose, et al. (Eds.),Essays in probability and statistics. University of North Carolina Press, Chapel Hill, 1970, p. 453–479.
- Bock, R. D. and Jones, L. V.The measurement and prediction of judgment and choice, San Francisco: Holden-Day, 1968.
- Bock, R. D. and Lieberman, M. L. Fitting a response model forn dichotomously scored items.Psychometrika, 1970,35, 179–197.
- Gumbel, E. J. Bivariate logistic distributions.Journal of the American Statistical Association, 1961,56, 335–349.
- Kendall, M. G. and Stuart, A.The advanced theory of statistics, Vol. II, London: Griffin 1961.
- Lord, F. M. An analysis of the verbal scholastic aptitude test using Birnbaum's three-parameter logistic model.Educational and Psychological Measurement, 1968,28, 989–1200.
- Luce, R. D.Individual choice behavior, New York: Wiley, 1959.
- Samejima, F. Estimation of latent ability using a response pattern of graded scores.Psychometrika, Monograph Supplement, No.17, 1969.
- Stroud, A. H. and Secrest, Don.Gaussian quadrature formulas, Englewood Cliffs, N. J.: Prentice-Hall, 1966.
- Estimating item parameters and latent ability when responses are scored in two or more nominal categories
Volume 37, Issue 1 , pp 29-51
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- R. Darrell Bock (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Chicago, USA