A generalized solution of the orthogonal procrustes problem
- Peter H. Schönemann
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A solutionT of the least-squares problemAT=B +E, givenA andB so that trace (E′E)= minimum andT′T=I is presented. It is compared with a less general solution of the same problem which was given by Green . The present solution, in contrast to Green's, is applicable to matricesA andB which are of less than full column rank. Some technical suggestions for the numerical computation ofT and an illustrative example are given.
- Bellman, R.Introduction to matrix analysis. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1960.
- Dwyer, P. S. and McPhail, M. S. Symbolic matrix derivatives.Ann. math. Statist., 1948,19, 517–534.
- Eckart, C. and Young, G. The approximation of one matrix by another of lower rank.Psychometrika, 1936,1, 211–218.
- Gibson, W. A. On the least-squares orthogonalization of an oblique transformation.Psychometrika, 1962,27, 193–196.
- Green, B. F. The orthogonal approximation of an oblique structure in factor analysis.Psychometrika, 1952,17, 429–440.
- HOW. FORTRAN Subroutine, using non-iterative methods of Householder, Ortega, and Wilkinson, solves for eigenvalues and corresponding eigenvectors of a real symmetric matrix. Program writeup F2 BC HOW. Berkeley Division, Univ. Calif., 1962.
- Hunter, J. Personal communication, 1964.
- Hurley, J. R. and Cattell, R. B. Producing direct rotation to test a hypothesized factor structure.Behav. Sci., 1962,7, 258–262.
- Johnson, R. M. On a theorem by Eckart and Young.Psychometrika, 1963,28, 259–263.
- Johnson, R. M. The minimal transformation to orthonormality. Paper read at the joint meeting of the Psychonomic Society and the Psychometric Society, Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada, 1964.
- Mosier, C. I. Determining a simple structure when loadings for certain tests are known.Psychometrika, 1939,4, 149–162.
- Schmid, J. and Leiman, J. M. The development of hierarchical factor solutions.Psychometrika, 1957,22, 53–61.
- Schönemann, P. H., Bock, R. D., and Tucker, L. R. Some notes on a theorem by Eckart and Young. Univ. of North Carolina Psychometric Laboratory Research Memorandum No. 25, 1965.
- Thurstone, L. L.Multiple-factor analysis. Chicago: Univ. Chicago Press, 1947.
- Tucker, L. R. Personal communication, 1964.
- A generalized solution of the orthogonal procrustes problem
Volume 31, Issue 1 , pp 1-10
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Psychometric Laboratory, University of North Carolina, USA