Some necessary conditions for common-factor analysis
- Louis Guttman
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
LetR be any correlation matrix of ordern, with unity as each main diagonal element. Common-factor analysis, in the Spearman-Thurstone sense, seeks a diagonal matrixU 2 such thatG = R − U 2 is Gramian and of minimum rankr. Lets 1 be the number of latent roots ofR which are greater than or equal to unity. Then it is proved here thatr ≧s 1. Two further lower bounds tor are also established that are better thans 1. Simple computing procedures are shown for all three lower bounds that avoid any calculations of latent roots. It is proved further that there are many cases where the rank of all diagonal-free submatrices inR is small, but the minimum rankr for a GramianG is nevertheless very large compared withn. Heuristic criteria are given for testing the hypothesis that a finiter exists for the infinite universe of content from which the sample ofn observed variables is selected; in many cases, the Spearman-Thurstone type of multiple common-factor structure cannot hold.
- Albert, A. A. The matrices of factor analysis.Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci., 1944,30, 90–95.
- Albert, A. A. The minimum rank of a correlation matrix.Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci.,30, 144–148.
- Bôcher, Maxime. Introduction to Higher Algebra. New York: Macmillan, 1907. (Sixteenth printing, 1952).
- Guttman, Louis. Multiple rectilinear prediction and the resolution into components.Psychometrika, 1940,5, 75–99.
- Guttman, Louis, General theory and methods for matric factoring.Psychometrika, 1944,9, 1–16.
- Guttman, Louis. A new approach to factor analysis: the radex. In Paul F. Lazarsfeld (ed.), Mathematical thinking in the social sciences. The Free Press, 1954.
- Guttman, Louis. Two new approaches to factor analysis. Office of Naval Research, Annual technical report on project Nonr-731(00), 1953.
- Guttman, Louis. Image theory for the structure of quantitative variates.Psychometrika, 1953,19, 277–296.
- Lazarsfeld, Paul F. The logical and mathematical foundation of latent structure analysis. In S. A. Stouffer, et al., Measurement and prediction, Princeton Univ. Press, 1950.
- Rosner, Burt. An algebraic solution for the communalities.Psychometrika, 1948, 13, 181–184.
- Thomson, Godfrey. The factorial analysis of human ability. Univ. London Press, 1950.
- Thurstone, L. L. Multiple-factor analysis. Univ. Chicago Press, 1947.
- Some necessary conditions for common-factor analysis
Volume 19, Issue 2 , pp 149-161
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Louis Guttman (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. The Israel Institute of Applied Social Research, Israel