A factorial study of auditory function
- J. E. Karlin
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Tests of auditory function in the fields of pitch, loudness, quality (timbre), and time, auditory analysis, synthesis, and memory, together with age, intelligence, and four tests of visual memory, were studied factorially. The subjects were 200 high-school students. The intercorrelations were factored to nine factors by a modification of the centroid technique and rotated to an oblique simple structure. No general auditory factor appeared. Instead there appeared group factors tentatively identified as pitch-quality discrimination, loudness discrimination, “auditory integral for perceptual mass,” auditory resistance (synthesis and analysis), speed of closure, auditory span formation, memory span (auditory and visual), memory or incidental closure and an unidentifiable residual plane. The average intercorrelation among the primary vectors was low, only one intercorrelation being greater than .34. A number of queries are answered by the interpretation of the results.
- Fletcher, H.Speech and Hearing. New York: D. Van Nostrand Co., 1929.
- —— —Ibid., p. 28.
- —— —Ibid., p. 141.
- Fowler, E. P.Medicine of the Ear. New York: Thos. Nelson and Sons, 1939.
- Hartmann, G. W.Gestalt Psychology. New York: Ronald Press Co., 1935. Chap. 7.
- Karlin, J. E. Music Ability.Psychometrika, 1941,1: 61–65.
- Seashore, C. E.Psychology of Music. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1938.
- —— —Ibid., p. 138.
- Seashore, C. E.Manual for Measures of Musical Talent. Chicago: C. H. Stoelting Co.
- Seashore, C. E., Lewis, D., Saetveit, J. G.Manual for The Seashore Measures of Musical Talents. New Jersey: RCA Manufacturing Co., 1939.
- Stevens, S. S. and Davis, H.Hearing. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1938.
- —— —Ibid., p. 124.
- —— —Ibid., p. 98.
- Thurstone, L. L. Grouping Method of Factoring. Unpublished.
- --. Memory Factor Study. Unpublished.
- A factorial study of auditory function
Volume 7, Issue 4 , pp 251-279
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- J. E. Karlin (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Chicago, USA