The integration of psychiatric rehabilitation services in behavioral health care structures: A state example
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This article describes a model for integrating psychiatric rehabilitation services in a managed behavioral health care structure. Psychiatric rehabilitation and managed care are two distinct developments in the provision of mental health services that have proceeded independently though they can have compatible methods and outcomes. Descriptive detail is provided about a state initiative in Iowa to provide psychiatric rehabilitation services to those with serious mental illness through the state-contracted managed behavioral health care corporation. The article describes factors leading to the program's implementation, service delivery structures, reimbursements, personnel requirements, and performance indicators. Evidence for supporting this innovation is provided through a case-controlled outcomes study of mental health service units used and their costs for participants and matched controls.
- Ray C, Anthony WA, Graham S. Why would psychiatric rehabilitation agencies want to shift to managed care? In: Peterson C, ed. Psychiatric Rehabilitation and Managed Care. Linthicum, MD: International Association of Psychosocial Rehabilitation Services. In press.
- Mechanic, D (1998) Emerging trends in mental health policy and practice. Health Affairs 17: pp. 82-97
- Anthony, WA, Cohen, MR, Farkas, MD (1990) Psychiatric Rehabilitation. Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Boston University, Boston
- Anthony, WA (1996) Community Support Systems: Lessons for Managed Care. Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Boston University, Boston
- American Managed Behavioral Healthcare Association and National Association of State Mental Health Program Directors. Public mental health systems Medicaid re-structuring and managed behavioral healthcare.Behavioral Healthcare Tomorrow. September/October 1995:63–69.
- Wells, SM (1995) Exploring the promises and pitfalls of managed care. Access: Information from the National Resource Center on Homelessness and Mental Illness 7: pp. 3-5
- Cooperative Agreements for Managed Care and Vulnerable Populations: Guidance for Applicants. SAMHSA, Center for Mental Health Services, Washington, DC
- Samuels J, Goldman H. Survey study findings. Paper presented at the Seventh Annual National Conference on State Mental Health Agency Services Research and Program Evaluation; February 1997; Arlington, VA.
- Effective public management of mental health care. www.milbank.org/bazelon. Accessed August 1, 2000.
- Folcarelli, C (1995) Medicaid section 1115 waivers: their approaches to mental health and substance abuse services. Policy in Perspective 1: pp. 3-4
- Evaluating Managed Mental Health Care: A Sourcebook. HSRI, Cambridge, MA
- Minkoff, K, Pollack, D eds. (1997) Managed Mental Health Care in the Public Sector. Harwood Academic Publishers, Amsterdam B.V. The Netherlands
- Hughes, R (1995) The future of psychosocial rehabilitation under managed care. Community Support Network News 10: pp. 3-3
- Hogan, M (1995) A state perspective—rehabilitation within managed care: can this relationship succeed?. Community Support Network News 10: pp. 3-3
- DeLeon, PH, VandenBos, GR, Bulatao, EQ (1991) Managed mental health care: a history of the federal policy initiative. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice 22: pp. 15-25
- Freeman, MA, Trabin, T (1995) The policy challenges of managed behavioral healthcare. Policy in Perspective 1: pp. 3-4
- Anthony, WA, Cohen, MR, Farkas, MD (2002) Psychiatric Rehabilitation. Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Boston University, Boston
- Lamberti, JS, Melburg, V, Madi, N (1998) Intensive psychiatric rehabilitation treatment (IPRT): an overview of a new program. Psychiatric Quarterly 69: pp. 211-235
- Anthony, WA, Brown, MA, Rogers, ES (1999) A supported living/employment program for reducing the number of people in institutions. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Journal 23: pp. 57-61
- Unger, KV, Anthony, WA, Sciarappa, K (1991) A supported education program for young adults with long-term mental illness. Hospital and Community Psychiatry 42: pp. 838-842
- Rogers, ES, Sciarappa, K, MacDonald-Wilson, K (1995) A benefit-cost analysis of a supported employment model for persons with psychiatric disabilities. Evaluation and Program Planning 18: pp. 105-115
- Rogers, ES, Walsh, D, Masotta, L (1991) Massachusetts Survey of Client Preferences for Community Support Services: Final Report. Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, Boston University, Boston
- Anthony, WA, Cohen, M, Vitalo, R (1978) The measurement of rehabilitation outcome. Schizophrenia Bulletin 4: pp. 365-383
- Anthony WA. Psychiatric rehabilitation: key issues and future policy.Health Affairs. Fall 1992:164–171.
- Hughes, R (1995) Advocating for psychosocial rehabilitation services in a managed care environment. Community Support Network News 10: pp. 7-7
- Toolkit for Measuring Psychosocial Outcomes. International Association of Psychosocial Rehabilitation Services, Columbia, MD
- DeJong, G (1979) Independent living: social movement to analytic paradigm. Archives of Physical and Medical Rehabilitation 60: pp. 435-446
- Rohland, B (1999) Quality assessment in a Medicaid managed mental health care plan: an Iowa case study. American Journal of Orthopsychiatry 69: pp. 410-414
- Sabin, J, Daniels, N (2000) Public-sector managed behavioral health care: VI. The Iowa approach to profit and community investment. Psychiatric Services 51: pp. 1239-1247
- Sabin, J, Daniels, N (2000) Public-sector managed behavioral health care: V. Redefining “medical necessity”—the Iowa experience. Psychiatric Services 51: pp. 445-459
- Dodds W, Sheets J. Psychiatric rehabilitation and managed care. Speech delivered to the Advisory Council Meeting of the Boston University Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation; November 1997; Brookline, MA.
- Sheets, J, Yamin, Z (1998) Intensive psychiatric rehabilitation services: a best practice service design for managed care. 1999 Medicaid Managed Behavioral Care Sourcebook. Faulkner & Gray, Healthcare Information Center, New York
- D'Agostino, RB (1998) Propensity score methods for bias reduction in the comparison of a treatment to a non-randomized control group. Statistics in Medicine 17: pp. 2265-2281
- Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. APA, Washington, DC
- The integration of psychiatric rehabilitation services in behavioral health care structures: A state example
The Journal of Behavioral Health Services & Research
Volume 29, Issue 4 , pp 381-393
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, USA
- 2. Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation, 940 Commonwealth Avenue West, 02215, Boston, MA
- 3. Sargent College of Health and Rehabilitation Sciences, USA
- 4. Psychiatric Rehabilitation Services, USA
- 5. ResCare of Iowa, USA
- 6. Community Relations, Magellan Behavioral Care Corporation of Iowa, USA