Anticipated utility: A measure representation approach
- Uzi Segal
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper presents axioms which imply that a preference relation over lotteries can be represented by a measure of the area above the distribution function of each lottery. A special case of this family is the anticipated utility functional. One additional axiom implies this theory. This functional is then extended for the case of vectorial prizes.
- J. Aczél,Lectures on Functional Equations and Their Applications (Academic Press, New York, 1966).
- M. Allais, Le comportement de l'homme rationel devant le risque: critique des postulates et axiomes de l'Ecole Americaine, Econometrica 21(1953)503.
- D. Bernoulli, Specimen Theoriae Novae de Mensura Sortis (1738), translated as: Exposition of a New Theory on the Measurement of Risk, Econometrica 22(1954)23.
- S.H. Chew and L.G. Epstein, A unifying approach to axiomatic non-expected utility theories, Working Paper No. 8709, University of Toronto (1987).
- S.H. Chew, E. Karni and Z. Safra, Risk aversion in the theory of expected utility with rank-dependent probabilities, J. Economic Theory 42(1987)370.
- G. Debreu, Representation of a preference ordering by a numerical function, in:Decision Processes, ed. R.M. Thrall, C.H. Coombs and R.L. Davis (Wiley, New York, 1954).
- I. Gilboa, Expected utility with purely subjective non-additive probabilities, J. Mathematical Economics 16(1987)65.
- E. Karni and Z. Safra, Preference reversal and the theory of choice under risk, Econometrica 55(1987)675.
- M.J. Machina, ‘Expected utility’ analysis without the independence axiom, Econometrica 50(1982)277.
- M.J. Machina, The economic theory of individual behavior toward risk: Theory, evidence and new directions, Technical Report No. 33, Center for Research on Organizational Efficiency, Stanford University (1983).
- J. Quiggin, A theory of anticipated utility, J. Economic Behavior and Organization 3(1982)323.
- J. Quiggin, Anticipated utility, subjective weighted utility and the Allais paradox, Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes (1985), forthcoming.
- A. Röell, Risk aversion in Quiggin and Yaari's rank-order model of choice under uncertainty The Economic Journal 97 (Supplement) (1987)143.
- U. Segal, Nonlinear decision weights with the independence axiom, UCLA Working Paper No. 353 (1984).
- U. Segal, Stochastic dominance for two-stage lotteries, UCLA Working Paper No. 416 (1986).
- U. Segal, Some remarks on Quiggin anticipated utility theory, J. Economic Behavior and Organization 8(1987)145.
- U. Segal, The Ellsberg paradox and risk aversion: An anticipated utility approach, International Economic Review 28(1987)175.
- U. Segal, Probabilistic insurance and anticipated utility, J. Risk and Insurance (1987), forthcoming.
- J. von Neumann and O. Morgenstern,Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, 2nd edition (Princeton University Press, Princeton, 1947).
- M.E. Yaari, The dual theory of choice under risk, Econometrica 55(1987)95.
- L.J. Savage,The Foundations of Statistics (Wiley, New York, 1954).
- Anticipated utility: A measure representation approach
Annals of Operations Research
Volume 19, Issue 1 , pp 359-373
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Baltzer Science Publishers, Baarn/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Uzi Segal (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Economics, University of Toronto, 150 St. George Street, M5S 1A1, Toronto, Ontario, Canada