Analysis of contact allergenic compounds in oxidizedd-limonene
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
A detailed chemical analysis and quantification of oxygen-containing monoterpenes in auto-oxidizedd-limonene was performed. Some of these, e.g. the cis- and trans-isomers of limonene-2-hydroperoxide, have previously been shown to exhibit strong contact allergenic properties. GC-MS with chemical ionization in negative ion mode was shown to be a successful method for the identification and determination of the molecular weight of chemically unstable limonene hydroperoxides. An HPLC method for isolation of individual compounds in auto-oxidizedd-limonene is presented. Two different stationary phases were used in normal phase mode, cyanopropyl- and diamino-modified silica. The method described can be used for the isolation of individual contact allergens in sensitization experiment vehicles, such as petrolatum and olive oil. This makes it possible to study whether test compounds, such as hydroperoxides, are chemically stable during a sensitization experiment.
- A.-T. Karlberg, A. Boman, B. Melin, Ann. Occup. Hyg.35, 419 (1991).
- A.-T. Karlberg, Magnusson K, U. Nilsson, Contact Dermatitis26, 332 (1992).
- D. H. Grayson, Natural Product Reports7, 327 (1990). CrossRef
- A.-T. Karlberg, L. P. Shao, U. Nilsson, E. Gäfvert, J. L. G. Nilsson, Arch. Dermatol. Res.286, 97 (1994). CrossRef
- S. Hellerström, N. Thyresson, S.-G. Blohm, G. Widmark, J. Invest. Dermatol.24, 217 (1955).
- V. Pirilä, E. Siltanen, Dermatologica117, 1 (1958).
- A.-T. Karlberg, K. Magnusson, U. Nilsson, Ann. Ocup. Hyg.38, 199 (1994).
- G. Widmark, Arkiv Kemi11, 211 (1957).
- G. O. Schenck, O. A. Neumüller, G. Olhoff, S. Schroeter, Liebig Ann. Chem.687, 26 (1965).
- P. Schieberle, W. Maier, J. Firl, W. Grosch, J. High Resolut. Chromatogr./Chromatogr. Commun.10, 588 (1987).
- B. C. Clark Jr, B. B. Jones, G. A. Iacobucci, Tetrahedron37, 405 (1981). CrossRef
- Analysis of contact allergenic compounds in oxidizedd-limonene
Volume 42, Issue 3-4 , pp 199-205
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Column liquid chromatography
- Negative ion CI mass spectrometry
- Contact allergenic compounds
- Industry Sectors