Metadatabase modeling for enterprise information integration
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
An underpinning to the notion of computer-integrated enterprises is information integration; that is, the integration of information resources and decision logic across the enterprise to achiete functional synergies. This concept requires certain basic extensions to two previously separate paradigms: information modeling and metadata management. In particular, both paradigms mus consider not only data resources but also contextual knowledge in a unified way; furthermore, they have to converge as a single, integrated method rather than belonging to two distinct stages of a life cycle. Toward this end, a modeling system is developed based on the two-stage entity relationship (TSER) approach [3, 4, 5, 7] and the metadatabase method [5, 6, 8].
This paper presents the metadatabase goals and the metadata modeling system, focusing on its basic concepts, design, and current implementation. In addition, the prototype environmental of the metadatabase that this system creates is illustrated through some examples taken from a computer-integrated manufacturing case.
- P. Chen, “The entity-relationship model: Toward a unified view of data,”ACM Trans. Database Sys., Vol. 1, pp. 9–36, March 1976. CrossRef
- A. Goldfine and P. Konig,A Technique Overview of the Information Resource Dictionary System (Second Edition, NBS Special Publication NBSIR 88-3700, National Bureau of Standrads, Gaithersburg, MD, January 1988.
- C. Hsu, “Structural database system analysis and design through two-stage entity-relationship approach,”Proc. 4th Int. Conf. on Entity-Relationship Approach, IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA, 1985, pp. 56–63.
- C. Hsu, A. Perry, M. Bouziane, and W. Cheung, “TSER: A data modeling system using the two-stage entity-relationship approach,”Proc. of the 6th Entity-Relationship Approach Conf., New York, pp. 461–478, 1987.
- C. Hsu, and C. Skevington, “Integration of data and knowledge in manufacturing enterprises: A conceptual framework,”Manufacturing Sys., vol. 6, no. 4, pp. 758–776, 1987.
- C. Hsu, and L. Rattner, “Information modeling for computerized manufacturing,”IEEE Trans. Syst. Man, Cybern., vol 20, No. 4, pp. 758–776, 1990.
- C. Hsu, M. Bouziane, W. Cheung, J. Nogues, L. Rattner, and L. Yee, “A metadata system for information modeling and integration,”Proc. Int. Conf. Syst. Integration, IEEE Computer Society, Los Alamitos, CA, pp. 616–624, April 1990.
- C. Hsu, M. Bouziane, L. Rattner, and L. Yee, “Information resources management in heterogeneous, distributed environments: a metadatabase approach,”IEEE Trans. Software Eng., vol. SE-17, no 6, pp. 604–625, June 1991. CrossRef
- V. Krishnamurty, S.Y.W. Su, H. Lam, M. Mitchell, and E. Barkmeyer, “IMDAS, an integrated manufacturing data administration system,”Data and Knowledge Eng., vol. 3, no. 2, pp. 109–131, 1988. CrossRef
- T. Landers and R. L. Rosenberg, “An overview of MULTIBASE,”Second Symp. on Distributed Database, North Holland, New York, pp. 311–336, 1982.
- D. McLeod, “Interbase: An approach to controlled shring among autonomous, heterogeneous database systems,”Data Eng. Bull., pp. 3–7, Fall 1990.
- S. Navathe, R. Elmasri, and J. Larson, “Integraging user views in database design,”Computer, IEEE Computer Society vol. 19, no. 1, pp. 50–62, 1986.
- A. Sheth and J. Larson, “Federated database system for managing distributed, heterogeneous, and autonomous databases,”ACM Computing Surveys, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 203–236, 1990. CrossRef
- J.M. Smith, P.A. Bernstein, U. Dayal, N. Goodman, T. Landers, K.W.T. Lin, and E. Wong, “MULTIBASE—Integrating heterogeneous distributed data systems,” AAFIPS Proc., vol. 50, pp. 487–499, 1981.
- U.S. Air Force,Integrated Information Support System (IISS) Report, Integrated Computer Aided Manufacturing ICAM), Materials Laboratory, Air Force Systems Command, Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, OH, February 1983.
- R. Wang and S. Madnick, “Facilitating connectivity in composite information systems,”ACM Data Base, vol. 20, no 3, pp. 38–46, Fall 1989.
- Metadatabase modeling for enterprise information integration
Journal of Systems Integration
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 5-37
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- data and knowledge management
- heterogeneous databases
- information modeling
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Decision Sciences and Engineering Systems, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, 12180-3590, Troy, NY
- 2. Digital Equipment Corp., 03062, Nashua, NH
- 3. The Chinese University of Hong Kong, China
- 4. School of Management, University of New Mexico, 87106, Albuquerque, NM