Detection of antinuclear and antilaminin antibodies in autistic children who received thimerosal-containing vaccines
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Autism, a neurodevelopmental disorder, may involve autoimmune pathogenesis. Since mercury is potentially a risk factor for autoimmunity, we conducted a study of mercury-induced antinuclear and antilaminin antibodies in autistic and normal children who had been pre-administered with thimerosal-containing vaccines. Laboratory analysis by different immunoassays showed that the serum level of these two autoimmune markers did not significantly differ between autistic and normal children. This finding suggests that the mercury as in thimerosal-containing vaccines is likely not related to autoimmune phenomenon in autism.
- Bernard S, Enayati A, Redwood L, Roger H, Binstock T. Autism: a novel form of mercury poisoning. Med Hypotheses 56:462–471;2001.
- Bigazzi PE. Autoimmunity induced by metals. In: Lahita RG, Chiorazzi N, Reeves WH, eds. Textbook of the Autoimmune Diseases. Philadelphia, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 753–783; 2000.
- El-Fawall HA, Watreman SJ, De Feo A, Shamy MY. Neuroimmunotoxicology: humoral assessment of neurotoxicity and autoimmune mechanisms. Environ Health Perspect 107(suppl 5):767–775;1999.
- Hultman P, Hansson-Georgiadis H. Methyl mercury-induced autoimmunity in mice. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 154:203–211;1999.
- Nelson KB, Bauman ML. Thimerosal and autism? Pediatrics 111:674–679;2003.
- Pichichero ME, Cernichiari E, Lopreiato J, Treanor J. Mercury concentrations and metabolism in infants receiving vaccines containing thiomersal: a descriptive study. Lancet 360:1737–1741;2001.
- Schettler T. Toxic threats to neurologic development of children. Environ Health Perspect 109(suppl 6):813–816;2001.
- Singh VK. Neuro-immunopathogenesis in autism. In: Berczi I, Gorczynski RM, eds. NeuroImmune Biology: New Foundation of Biology. New York, Elsevier, 443–454;2001.
- Singh VK, Jenson RL. Elevated levels of measles antibodies in children with autism. Pediatr Neurol 28:292–294;2003.
- Singh VK, Lin SX, Newell E, Nelson C. Abnormal measles-mumps-rubella antibodies and CNS autoimmunity in children with autism. J Biomed Sci 9:359–364;2002.
- Singh VK, Warren RP, Averett R, Ghazziuddin M. Circulating autoantibodies to neuronal and glial filament proteins in autism. Pediatr Neurol 16:88–90;1997.
- Detection of antinuclear and antilaminin antibodies in autistic children who received thimerosal-containing vaccines
Journal of Biomedical Science
Volume 11, Issue 5 , pp 607-610
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links