A survey of plethysmographic assessment in North America
- Richard J. Howes
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
A survey of North American plethysmographic assessment centers was undertaken to examine the extent to which variability exists among them. Results clearly revealed a field in which there is abundant inconsistency in both plethysmographic assessment procedures and data interpretation. A critical need for standardization was identified if plethysmographic assessment is to develop further its potential to assist in the clinical assessment and treatment of sex offenders.
- Abel, G. G., Barlow, D. H., Blanchard, E. B., & Guild, D. (1977). The components of rapists' sexual arousal.Archives of General Psychiatry, 34, 895–903.
- Adams, H. E., Motsinger, P., McAnulty, R. D., & Moore, A. L. (1992). Voluntary control of penile tumescence among homosexual and heterosexual subjects.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 21, (1), 17–31. CrossRef
- Bancroft, J. H., Jones, H. G., & Pullan, B. P., (1966). A simple transducer for measuring penile erection with comments on its use in the treatment of sexual disorders.Behavior Research and Therapy, 4, 239–241.
- Barker, J. G., & Howell, R. J. (1992). The plethysmograph: A review of recent literature.Bulletin of the American Academy of Psychiatry and the Law, 20(1), 13–27.
- Earls, C. M. (1983). Some issues in the assessment of sexual deviance.International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, 6, 431–441. CrossRef
- Earls, C. M., & Proulx, J. (1986). The differentiation of Francophone rapists and nonrapists using penile circumferential measures.Crimial Justice and Behavior, 13(4), 419–429.
- Earls, C. M., Quinsey, V. L., & Castonguay L. G. (1987). A comparison of three methods of scoring penile circumference changes.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 16(6), 493–500. CrossRef
- Fisher, C., Gross, J., & Zuch, J. (1965). Cycle of penile erection synchronous with dreaming (REM) sleep.Archives of General Psychiatry, 12, 23–45.
- Freund, K. (1963). A laboratory method of diagnosing predominance of homo- or heteroerotic interest in the male.Behavior Research and Therapy, 12, 355–359. CrossRef
- Freund, K. (1991). Reflections on the development of the phallometric method of assessing sexual preferences.Annals of Sex Research, 4, 221–228. CrossRef
- Furr, K. D. (1991). Penis size and magnitude of erectile change as spurious factors in estimating sexual arousal.Annals of Sex Research, 4, 265–279. CrossRef
- Government of Canada (1993).Criminal code of Canada. Agincourt, Ontario: Carswell.
- Hall, G. C. N. (1989). Sexual arousal and arousability in a sexual offender population.Journal of Abnormal Psychology, 98(2), 145–149. CrossRef
- Hall, G. C. N. (1990). Validity of physiological measures of pedophilic sexual arousal in a sexual offender population: A reply to Quinsey and Laws.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 58(6), 889–891. CrossRef
- Hall, G. C. N., Proctor, W. C., & Nelson, G. M. (1988). The validity of physiological measures of pedophilic sexual arousal in a sexual offender population.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 56, 118–122. CrossRef
- Langevin, R. (1989).Sexual preference testing. Toronto: Juniper Press.
- Laws, D. R. (1993). The President's Column: Certification of plethysmograph operators.ATSA Newsletter, 5(2), 2–4.
- Laws, D. R., & Holmen, M. L. (1978). Sexual response faking by pedophiles.Criminal Justice and Behavior, 5, 343–356.
- Laws, D. R., & Rubin, H. B. (1969). Instructional control of an autonomic nomic sexual response.Journal of Applied Behavioral Analysis, 2, 93–99.
- McAnulty, R. D., & Adams, H. E. (1992). Validity and ethics of penile circumference measures of sexual arousal: A reply to McConaghy.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 21(2), 177–186. CrossRef
- McConaghy, N. (1989). Validity and ethics of penile circumference measures of sexual arousal: A critical review.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 18(4), 357–359. CrossRef
- McGrath, R. J. (1991). Sex-offender risk assessment and disposition planning: A review of empirical and clinical findings.International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology, 35(4), 328–350.
- Murphy, W. D., Krisak, J., Stalgaitis, S., & Anderson, K. (1984). The use of penile tumescenc measures with incarcerated rapists: Further validity issues.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 13(6), 545–554. CrossRef
- Mussack, S. (1992). A dialogue about the plethysmograph.ATSA Newsletter, 4, 3–6.
- Pithers, W. D., & Laws, D. R. (1988). The penile plethysmograph: Uses and abuses in assessment and treatment of sexual aggressors. InSex offenders: Issues in treatment. National Institute of Corrections, Washington, DC.
- Proulx, J. (1989). Sexual preference assessment of sexual aggressors.International Journal of Law and Psychiatry, 6, 431–441.
- Quinsey, V. L., & Laws, D. R. (1990). Validity of physiological measures of pedophilic sexual arousal in a sexual offender population: A critique of Hall, Proctor, and Nelson.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 58(6), 886–889. CrossRef
- Rosen, R. C., & Keefe, F. J. (1978). The measruement of human penile tumescence.Psychophysiology, 15, 366–376.
- Shouten, P. G., & Simon, W. T. (1992). Validity of phallometric measures with sex offenders: Comments on the Quinsey, Laws, and Hall debate.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 60(5), 812–814. CrossRef
- Simon, W. T., & Shouten, P. G. W. (1991). Plethysmography in the assessment and treatment of sexual deviance: An oversiew.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 20(1), 75–91. CrossRef
- Wheeler, D., & Rubin, H. B. (1987). A comparison of volumetric and circumferential measures of penile erection.Archives of Sexual Behavior, 16(4), 289–299. CrossRef
- Zuckerman, M. (1971). Physiological measures of sexual arousal in the human.Psychological Bulletin, 75, 297–329.
- A survey of plethysmographic assessment in North America
Sexual Abuse: A Journal of Research and Treatment
Volume 7, Issue 1 , pp 9-24
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- sexual offenders
- deviant arousal
- Richard J. Howes (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Stony Mountain Institution, P.O. Box 4500, R3C 3W8, Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada