Emerging international principles of environmental protection and their impact on Britain
- Sonja A. Boehmer-Christiansen
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The paper reviews emerging international principles of environmental protection, as well as their refinement, during the last two decades of implementation. It is argued that international efforts were primarily directed towards the prevention of transfrontier pollution and could only succeed if there was agreement on the meaning of the term “pollution”. The concept of pollution is therefore explored in some detail. Confusion about the meaning of pollution, combined with the impact of international regulation (both global and European) on British practice, help to explain some of the fundamental problems now facing the traditional British pollution control regime, especially its legal and philosophical basis. It is argued that recent and proposed administrative changes will be insufficient to comply with European expectations. Political changes and a more active involvement by the judiciary and the public may be required.
- Andresen, S. and Ostreng (eds) 1989. International Resource Management: The Role of Science and Politics, Belhaven.
- Berkhout F., Boehmer-Christiansen, S.A. and Skea, J. 1989. Deposits and Repositories.Energy Policy April 1989
- Boehmer-Christiansen, S.A. 1981. Limits to the International Control of Marine Pollution. Unpublished DPhil thesis, University of Sussex.
- Boehmer-Christiansen, S.A. 1983. Dumping nuclear waste into the sea.Marine Policy,7(1).
- Boehmer-Christiansen, S.A. 1986. An end to radioactive waste disposal "at sea"?Marine Policy,10(2).
- Boehmer-Christiansen, S.A. 1988a. The politics of dying forests.Interdisciplinary Science Review,13(1).
- Boehmer-Christiansen, S.A. 1988b. Pollution control or Umweltschutz.European Environment Review, March.
- Boehmer-Christiansen, S.A. 1988c. Black mist and acid rain: sciences as fig-leaf of policy.The Political Quarterly, April– June.
- Boehmer-Christiansen, S.A. 1989. The politics of environment and acid rain in the Federal Republic of Germany: forests versus fossil fuels?SPRU occasional paper No.29, Brighton, October 1990
- Caroll, L. 1988.International Environmental Diplomacy. Cambridge University Press.
- Freestone, D. and Ijlshra (eds), 1989. The North Sea: Perspectives on Regional Environmental Cooperation, Graham and Trotman, Marsiuus Nijhofff.
- HMSO. 1974.Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships. Cmnd 3748. HMSO, London.
- Macrory, R. 1986. Environmental Policy in Britain: Reaffirmation or Reform? IIUG discussion paper 86–4. Berlin.
- von Moltke. K. 1987. The Vorsorgeprinzip in West German Environmental Policy. Paper submitted to the Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution for its 12th Report (mimeo).
- Lord Nathan. 1988.Fencing Our Eden. 1987 Garner Lecture. UK Environmental Law Association Publications, London.
- NGO. 1988. The Changing Atmosphere. Statement at the Toronto Conference. 27–30 June (mimeo).
- Oslo and Paris Commission. 1985.The first Decade. Published by the Commission, London.
- O'Riordan, T. 1985. Approaches to regulation. In: Otway, H. and Peltu, M. (eds.),Regulating Industrial Risks, pp.20–39. Butterworth, London.
- O'Riordan, T. 1988. Nuclear power and the political controversy.The Political Quarterly, April–June.
- Pearce, F. 1988.Acid Rain. Penguin Special, London.
- Roqueplo. P 1988.Pluies Acides: Menaces pour l'Europe. Economica, Paris.
- RCEP (Royal Commission on Environmental Pollution). 1988.Best Practicable Environmental Option. Twelfth Report, February. HMSO, London.
- Saetavik, S. 1988.Environmental Cooperation between North Sea States. Belhaven Press, London.
- Skea, J.F. 1988. Abating SO2 in Britain: The New Agenda. Paper presented to the Beijer Institute Meeting on Air Pollution in Europe, Stockholm, September (mimeo; to be published).
- Skea, J.F. 1990. Environmental Legislation. Paper presented at the Conference on European Electricity: Business Opportunities in the 1990s (mimeo; to be published).
- Skea, J.F. and Boehmer-Christiansen, S.A. 1990. Acid Politics in Britain and West Germany. (book to be published by Belhaven).
- Sagoff, M. 1988.The Economy of the Earth. Cambridge University Press, UK.
- Troman, S. and Hawkins, R. (eds.) 1988.BPEO — A New Jerusalem? UK Environmental Law Association Publications, London.
- Turner, I. 1988. Uniformity or Diversity, Centre for Economic and Environmental Development Discussion Paper No. 7., March. CEED, London.
- UK Terrestrial Effects Review Group. 1988.The Effects of Acid Deposition on the Terrestrial Environment in the UK. HMSO, London.
- Weidner, H. 1988.Pollution Control in the UK. Campus, Berlin.
- Wetstone, G.S. and Rosencranz, A. 1984.Acid Rain in Europe and North America. Environmental Law Institute Publication, Washington, DC.
- World Commission on Environment and Development. 1987.Our Common Future, Chap.8 (The Brundtland Report). Oxford University Press, UK.
- Woods, C. 1988. EIA and BPED: acronyms for good environmental planning?J. Planning and Environmental Law, July.
- Emerging international principles of environmental protection and their impact on Britain
Volume 10, Issue 2 , pp 95-113
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. University of Sussex, BN1 9RF, Falmer, Brighton, UK