The effect of a modified etidronate cyclical regimen on postmenopausal osteoporosis: A four-year study
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
To develop an improved treatment schedule for osteoporosis, a study was undertaken in 100 postmenopausal women using a modified ADFR 90-day cyclical regimen with etidronate. After one year of treatment, the etidronate-treated group showed a significant increase in bone density of the spine, which continued over the following 2 years of treatment and remained stable during the fourth year. In contrast, in the non-etidronate group, bone density decreased significantly after four years. In addition, the fracture rate was significantly lower in the etidronate group than in the non-etidronate group. Side effects were minimal in both groups and no serious adverse reactions were reported. In conclusion, it appears that a cyclical regimen using 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3, etidronate and calcium increases bone mass and reduces fractures with no significant side effects, thus making a useful contribution in the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis.
- Arlot ME, Delmas PE, Meunier PJ. Trabecular and cortical bone remodeling in postmenopausal osteoporosis: Comparison with normal postmenopausal women. Osteoporosis Int 1990; 1: 41–9.
- Watts N, Harris ST, Genant HK, Wasnich RD, Miller PD, Jackson RD, Licata Ross P, Woodson III GC, Yanover MJ, Misiw WJ, Kohse L, Rao MB, Steiger P, Richmond B, Chestnut III CH. Intermittent cyclical etidronate treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 1990; 323: 73–9.
- Rico H, Hernandez ER, Revilla M, Gomez-Castrasana F. Salmon calcitonin reduces vertebral fracture rate in postmenopausal crush fracture syndrome. Bone Miner 1992; 16: 131–8.
- Kanis JA, Johnell O, Guilberg B, Allander E, Dilsen G, Gennari C, Vaz AAL, Lyritis GP, Mazzuoli G, Miravet L, Passeri M, Cano RP, Rapado A, Ribot C. Evidence for efficacy of drugs effecting bone metabolism in preventing hip fracture. Br Med J 1992; 305: 1124–8.
- Lyritis G, Marketou H, Magiasis B, Dracopoulos D, Tsekoura M, Tsakalakos N, Yiatzides A. Estimation of postmenopausal bone loss with the use of biochemical bone markers. Bone Miner 1992; 17, Suppl. 1: 154.
- Garnero P, Sornan-Rendu E, Chapuy MC, Delmas P. Increased bone turnover in late postmenopausal women. Is a major determonant of osteoporosis? J Bone Miner Res 1996; 11: 337–49.
- Civitelli R, Gonelli S, Zacchei F, Bigazzi S, Vattimo A, Avioli LV, Gennari C. Bone turnover in postmenopausal osteoporosis. Effects of calcitonin treatment. J Clin Invest 1988; 82: 1268–74.
- Frost HM. The ADFR concept and monitoring it. Metab Bone Dis Related Res 1980; 2, Suppl: 317–21.
- Hodsman AB. Effects of cyclical therapy for osteoporosis using an oral regimen of inorganic phosphate and sodium etidronate: a clinical and bone histomorphometric study. Bone Miner 1989; 5: 201–12.
- Lyritis GP, Tsakalakos N, Karachalios T, Magiasis B, Athanasopoulou E, Androulakis K, Tsekoura M, Hatziolou E, Yatzides A, Gazi S. Treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis with the ADFR regimen. Calcif Tissue Int 1989, 44 Suppl. 1: 68.
- Pacifici R, McMurthy C, Veder I, Rupich R, Avioli LV. Coherence therapy does not prevent axial bone loss in osteoporotic women: a preliminary comparative study. J Clin Endocrinol Metabol 1988; 66: 747–53.
- Passeri M, Palumeri E, Barbagallo M, Buttirini L, Pedrazzoni M, Davoli L, Pioli G, Benassi L, Girasole G, Ciotti G. Sequential calcitriol-calcitonin in the therapy of osteoporosis. Minerva Endocrinol 1989; 14: 57–62.
- Behrens-Stevens ML, Wagenknecht R, Haberey M. The effects of high dose calcitriol on rat bone. Bone Miner 1992; 17, Suppl. 1: 109.
- Storm T, Thamsborg G, Dteinich T, Genant HK, Sorensen OH. Effect of intermittent cyclical etidronate therapy on bone mass and fracture rate in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis. N Engl J Med 1990; 322: 1265–71.
- Harris ST, Watts NB, Jackson RD, Genant HK, Wasnich RD, Ross P, Miller PD, Licata AA, Chstnut III CH. Four-year study of intermittent cyclic etidtronate treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis: three years of blinded therapy followed by one year of open therapy. Am J Med 1993; 95: 557–67.
- Aloia JF, Waswani A, Yeh JK et al. Calcitriol in the treatment of postmenopausal osteoporosis. Am J Med 1988; 84: 4018.
- The effect of a modified etidronate cyclical regimen on postmenopausal osteoporosis: A four-year study
Volume 16, Issue 4 , pp 354-360
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Bone Mineral Density
- 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3
- Postmenopausal Osteoporosis
- Industry Sectors