Correlative study of hydrochloric acid, pepsin, and intrinsic factor secretion in newborns and infants
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The developmental patterns of secretion of hydrochloric acid, pepsin, and intrinsic factor were studied, following Histalog stimulation, in gastric juice of infants 12 hr to 3 months old. In the first day of life, the outputs of hydrochloric acid, intrinsic factor, and pepsin were very low, but in no instance was achlorhydria found. The outputs of these three glandular secretory components then showed a gradual increase until the third week after birth, followed by a short decline in the third to fourth week, and a second sustained rise continuing into the second and third month of life.
A good correlation was observed between the outputs of hydrochloric acid and intrinsic factor in gastric juice of the neonate following Histalog stimulation; and a somewhat poorer correlation between that of intrinsic factor and pepsin.
When secretory outputs were recalculated for body weight, those of intrinsic factor in infants 2–3 months old were at levels comparable to that observed in older children and adults; those of hydrochloric acid, at the lower range of normal, or slightly below adult levels; and that of pepsin, well below adult values.
On serial determinations, one infant showed intrinsic-factor activity, throughout the period of study, that was well below that of other infants of comparable age. The possible relationship of this case to juvenile pernicious anemia is discussed.
- Hess, A. F. The gastric secretion of infants at birth.Amer J Dis Child 6:264, 1913.
- Miller, R. A., Observations on the gastric acidity during the first month of life.Arch Dis Child 16:22, 1941.
- Ebers, D. W., Smith, D. I., andGibbs, G. E. Gastric acidity on the first day of life.Pediatrics 18:800, 1956.
- Avery, G. B., Randolph, J. G., andWeaver, T. Gastric acidity in the first day of life.Pediatrics 37:1005, 1966.
- Luhby, A. L. Studies of extrinsic-intrinsic factor relationships in megaloblastic anemia of infancy.Ohio State Health Center J 2:35, 1948.
- Luhby, A. L. Megaloblastic anemia of infancy.J Pediat 54:617, 1959.
- Luhby, A. L., Glass, G. B. J., andSlobody, L. B. Studies of the gastric mucoprotein secretion in infants and children.AMA J Dis Child 88:517, 1954.
- Grayzel, H. G., Elkan, B., Moghazeh, M., Schneck, L., andGarza, S. Plasma pepsinogen levels in the newborn.Amer J Dis Child 103:759, 1962.
- Rodbro, P., Krasilnikoff, P. A., andChristiansen, P. M. Parietal cell secretory function in early childhood.Scand J Gastroent 2:209, 1967.
- Rodbro, P., Krasilnikoff, P. A., andBitsch, V. Gastric secretion of pepsin in early childhood.Scand J Gastroent 2:257, 1967.
- Hoedemaeker, P. J. Investigations of the Site of Production of Castle's Gastric Intrinsic Factor. Thesis, University of Groningen, 1965.
- Glass, G. B. J. Gastric intrinsic factor and its function in the metabolism of vitamin B12.Physiol Rev 43:529, 1963.
- Spurling, C. L., Sacks, M. S., andJiji, R. M. Juvenile pernicious anemia.New Eng J Med 271:995, 1964.
- Kirsner, J. B., andFord, H. The gastric secretory response to Histalog.J Lab Clin Med 46:307, 1955.
- Ardeman, S., andChanarin, I. A method for the assay of human gastric intrinsic factor and for the detection and titration of antibodies against intrinsic factor.Lancet 2:1350, 1963. CrossRef
- Gottlieb, C., Lau, K. S., Wasserman, L. R., andHerbert, V. Rapid charcoal assay for intrinsic factor (IF), gastric juice unsaturated B12 binding capacity, antibody to IF, and serum unsaturated B12 binding capacity.Blood 25:875, 1965.
- Yamaguchi, N., andGlass, G. B. J. The determination of intrinsic factor in gastric secretory analysis.Ann NY Acad Sci 140:924, 1967.
- Sullivan, L. W., Herbert, V., andCastle, W. B. In vitro assay for human intrinsic factor.J Clin Invest 42:1443, 1963.
- Castro-Curel, Z., andGlass, G. B. J. Assay of intrinsic factor activity on guinea pig intestinal mucosa homogenate.Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 112:715, 1963.
- Castro-Curel, Z., andGlass, G. B. J. Comparative study of IF activity of gastric materials by urinary excretion testin vivo and on guinea pig intestinal mucosa homogenatesin vitro.Clin Chim Acta 9:317, 1964. CrossRef
- Klotz, A. P., andDuvall, M. R. The laboratory determination of pepsin in gastric juice with radio-iodinated albumin.J Lab Clin Med 50:753, 1957.
- Ardeman, S., Chanarin, I., andDoyle, J. C. Studies on secretion of gastric intrinsic factor in man.Brit Med J 2:600, 1964.
- Rodbro, P., andChristiansen, P. M. Quantitative estimation of parietal cell secretory function in man.Scand J Gastroent 1:292, 1966.
- Crean, G. P. Experimental hyperplasia of the gastric mucosa. British Society of Gastroenterology, Dublin, November 1967.
- Ghai, P., Singh, M., Walia, B. N. S., andGadekar, N. G. An assessment of gastric acid secretory response with ‘maximal’ augmented histamine stimulation in children with peptic ulcer.Arch Dis Child 40:77, 1965.
- Crean, G. P. “Observations on the Regulation of the Growth of the Gastric Mucosa.” InGastric Secretion: Mechanisms and Control (Proceedings of a Symposium, University of Alberta, Canada), Shnitka, T. K., Gilbert, J. A. L. and Harrison, R. C., Eds. Pergamon, New York, 1967, p. 33.
- McIntyre, P. A., Hahn, R., Conley, C. L., andGlass, G. B. J. Genetic factors in predisposition to pernicious anemia.Bull Hopkins Hosp 104:309, 1959.
- Castle, W. B. Observations on the etiologic relationship of achylia gastrica to pernicious anemia. I. The effect of the administration in patients with pernicious anemia of the contents of the normal human stomach recovered after the ingestion of beef muscle.Amer J Med Sci 178:748, 1929.
- Glass, G. B. J. Current status of the “glandular mucoprotein” and “mucoproteose” fractions of the gastric mucin: A review of 15 years' progress in this area.Ann NY Acad Sci 140:804, 1967.
- Correlative study of hydrochloric acid, pepsin, and intrinsic factor secretion in newborns and infants
The American Journal of Digestive Diseases
Volume 14, Issue 6 , pp 400-414
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors