Psychometric characteristics of a multidimensional measure to assess impairment: The Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale (CAFAS) is a multidimensional measure of degree of impairment in functioning. Interrater reliability data are presented for lay raters, graduate students, and frontline staff. Reliability was high for the total score and behaviorally-oriented scales. Construct, concurrent, and discriminant validity were assessed with the sample of children and adolescents evaluated at the Fort Bragg Demonstration Evaluation Project. Youth and their caregivers were evaluated via interview and selfcompleted instruments at four time points. Significant correlations were found between the CAFAS and other related constructs. Concurrent validity was demonstrated by logistic regression analyses examining the relationship between CAFAS ratings and problematic behaviors endorsed on measures completed by parents, teachers, or the youth. Youth with higher CAFAS total scores were much more likely to have poor social relationships, difficulties in school, and problems with the law. Discriminant validity was assessed with a repeated measures analysis of variance with intensity of care at intake and time as factors. Youth who were inpatients or in residential treatment centers at intake had higher CAFAS scores than those who were outpatients. These findings provide strong evidence for the reliability and validity of the CAFAS.
- Achenbach, T. (1991).Manual checklist/4-18 and 1991 profile. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry.
- Achenbach, T. M., & Edelbrock, C. (1983).Manual for the Child Behavior Checklist and Revised Child Behavior Profile. Burlington, VT: University of Vermont, Department of Psychiatry.
- Almeida, D. M., & Kessler, R. C. (1994).Daily life events as mediators of the gender-distress relationship. Unpublished manuscript, Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1994).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (4th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
- Bickman, L., Guthrie, P., Foster, E. M., Lambert, E. W., Summerfelt, W. T., Breda, C. S., & Heflinger, C. A. (1994).Final report of the outcome and cost/utilization studies of the Fort Bragg Evaluation Project. Unpublished manuscript, Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt University Center for Mental Health Policy.
- Bird, H., Canino, G., Rubio-Stipec, M., & Ribera, J. C. (1987). Further measures of the psychometric properties of the Children's Global Assessment Scale (CGAS).Archives of General Psychiatry.44, 821–824.
- Brannan, A. M., Heflinger, C. A., & Bickman, L. (1995).The Burden of Care Questionnaire: Measuring the impact on the family of living with a child with serious emotional problems. Unpublished manuscript, Nashville, TN: Center for Mental Health Policy, Vanderbilt University.
- Breda, C. S. (1996). Methodological issues in evaluating mental health outcomes of a children's mental health managed care demonstration.The Journal of Mental Health Administration, 23, 40–50.
- Edelbrock, C., & Achenbach, T. M. (1984). The teacher version of the Child Behavior Profile: I. Boys aged 6–11.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 52, 207–217. CrossRef
- Edelbrock, C., Costello, A. J., Dulcan, M. K., Conover, N. C., & Kalas, R. (1986). Parent-child agreement on child psychiatric symptoms assessed via structured interview.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 27, 181–190.
- Eme, R. F., & Kavanaugh, L. (1995). Sex differences in conduct disorder.Journal of Clinical Child Psychology, 24, 406–426.
- Federal Register. Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration: Center for Mental Health Services. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, Office of Human Development Services, May 20, 1993.
- Freeman, M. A., & Trabin, T. (1994).Managed behavioral healthcare: History. models. key issues and future course. Report prepared for the U.S. Center for Mental Health Services. Rockville, MD: Department of Health & Human Services, Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Garber, J., Kriss, M. R., Koch, M., & Lindholm, L. (1988). Recurrent depression in adolescents: A follow-up study.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 27, 49–54.
- Herman, S. E., & Mowbray, C. T. (1991). Client typology based on functioning level assessments: Utility for service planning and monitoring.The Journal of Mental Health Administration, 18, 101–115.
- Hodges, K. (1989).Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale. Unpublished manuscript, Ypsilanti, MI: Eastern Michigan University.
- Hodges K. (1990a):Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale Self-Training Manual. Unpublished manuscript, Ypsilanti, MI: Eastern Michigan University.
- Hodges, K. (1990b).Child Assessment Schedule. Unpublished manuscript (3rd ed.), Ypsilanti, MI: Eastern Michigan University.
- Hodges, K. (1990c).Child Assessment Schedule-Parent Form. Unpublished manuscript (3rd ed.), Ypsilanti, MI: Eastern Michigan University.
- Hodges, K. (1993). Structured interviews for assessing children.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 34, 49–68.
- Hodges, K. (1994).Measures for assessing impairment in children and adolescents. Paper prepared for the U.S. Center for Mental Health Services. Rockville, MD: Department of Health & Human Services, Substance Abuse, and Mental Health Services Administration.
- Hodges, K., Bickman, L., Kurtz, S., & Reiter, M. (1991). A multi-dimensional measure of level of functioning for children and adolescents. In A. Algarin & R. M. Friedman (Eds.),Proceedings of the fourth annual research conference on a system of care for children's mental health (pp. 149–154). Tampa, FL: Research and Training Center for Children's Mental Health, University of South Florida.
- Hodges, K., Gordon, Y., & Lennon, M. (1990). Parent-child agreement on symptoms assessed via a clinical research interview for children: The Child Assessment Schedule (CAS).Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 31, 427–436.
- Hodges, K., & Gust, J. (1995). Measures of impairment for children and adolescents.Journal of Mental Health Administration, 22, 403–413.
- Hodges, K., Kline, J., Stern, L., Cytryn, L., & McKnew, D. (1982). The development of a child assessment interview for research and clinical use.Journal of Abnormal Child Psychology, 10, 173–189. CrossRef
- Hodges, K., & Wong, M. M. (1996).Use of the Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale to predict service utilization and cost. Manuscript submitted for publication.
- Mirowsky, J., & Ross, C. E. (1989).Social causes of psychological distress. New York: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Newman, F. L., Burwell, B. A., & Underhill, W. R. (1978). Program analysis using the client oriented cost outcome system.Journal of Evaluation and Program Planning, 1, 19–30. CrossRef
- Newman, F. L., Griffin, B. P., Black, R. W., & Page, S. E. (1989). Linking level of care to level of need: Assessing the need for mental health care for nursing home residents.American Psychologist, 44, 1315–1324. CrossRef
- Newman, F. L., & Hodges, K. (1995).Developing outcome assessment measures for children, adolescents. and adults to support a provider profile in Indiana. Paper presented at the meeting of the Second Annual Florida Conference on Behavioral Healthcare Evaluation, Orlando, FL.
- Pokorny, L. J. (1991). A summary measure of client level of functioning: Progress and challenges for use within mental health agencies.The Journal of Mental Health Administration, 18, 80–87.
- Shaffer, D., Gould, M. S., Brasic, J., Ambrosini, P., Fisher P., Bird, H., & Aluwahlia, S. (1983). A Children's Global Assessment Scale (CGAS).Archives of General Psychiatry, 40, 1228–1231.
- Spitzer, R. L., Fleiss, J. L., & Endicott, J. (1978). Problems of classification: Reliability and validity. In M. A. Lipton, A. DiMascio, & K. F. Killam (Eds.),Psychopharmacology: A generation of progress (pp. 857–869). New York: Raven Press.
- Steinhausen, H. (1987). Global assessment of child psychopathology.Journal of the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, 26, 203–206.
- Psychometric characteristics of a multidimensional measure to assess impairment: The Child and Adolescent Functional Assessment Scale
Journal of Child and Family Studies
Volume 5, Issue 4 , pp 445-467
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- multidimensional measures