Anabolic steroid therapy as an adjunct to diet in alcoholic hepatic steatosis
- Charles L. Mendenhall M.D.
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Nine patients with severe alcoholic fatty livers were studied to evaluate the effects of aqueous testosterone and norethandrolone on the rate of fat removal from the liver. Serial liver biopsies showed that the addition of either of these anabolic steroids to a diet high in calories and protein reversed hepatic steatosis at a rate three to five times faster than that observed with diet alone. The relationship of this therapeutic effect to their actions on serum lipoproteins is discussed, but as yet no definite conclusions can be drawn.
- Goldberg, M., andThompson, C. M. Acute fatty metamorphosis of the liver.Ann Intern Med 55:416, 1961.
- Leevy, C. M. Fatty liver: A study of 270 patients with biopsy proven fatty liver and a review of the literature.Medicine (Balt) 41:249, 1962.
- Zieve, L. Jaundice, hyperlipidemia and hemolytic anemia: A heretofore unrecognized syndrome associated with alcoholic fatty liver and cirrhosis.Ann Intern Med 48:471, 1958.
- Keefer, C. S., andFries, E. D. Fatty liver: Its diagnosis and clinical course.Trans Ass Amer Physicians 57:283, 1942.
- Hartroft, W. S., andRidont, J. H. Pathogenesis of cirrhosis produced by choline deficiency.Amer J Path 27:951, 1951.
- Hill, R. B. Fatal fat emboli from steroid induced fatty liver.New Eng J Med 265:318, 1961.
- Connor, C. L. Fatty infiltration of liver and development of cirrhosis in diabetes and chronic alcoholism.Amer J Path 14:347, 1938.
- Hartroft, W. S. “Experimental Reproduction of Human Hepatic Disease.” InProgress in Liver Disease, Popper, H., and Schaffner, F., eds.. Grune, New York, 1961, p. 68.
- Schiff, L., Gall, E. A., andYoung, P. C. Serial needle hepatic biopsies in a patient with fatty liver.Gastroenterology 34:135, 1958.
- Galletti, F., andFalconi, G. Inhibition of the hepatic steatosis from ethionine by the hexyl enolic ether or methyltestosterone.Bull Soc Ital Biol Sper 36:1615, 1960.
- Ranney, R. E., andDrill, V. A. The ability of 17-ethyl-19-nortestosterone to block ethionine-induced fatty liver in rats.Endocrinology 61:476, 1957.
- Leevy, C. M., Zinke, M. R., White, T. J., andGnassi, A. M. Clinical observations on the fatty liver.Arch Intern Med (Chicago) 92:527, 1953.
- Koch-Weser, D., Farber, E., andPopper, H. Fatty liver with and without necrosis.Arch Path (Chicago) 51:498, 1951.
- Rosenak, B. D., Moser, R. H., andKilgore, B., Jr. Treatment of cirrhosis of the liver with testosterone propionate.Gastroenterology 9:695, 1947.
- Kinsell, L. W. Factors affecting protein balance in the presence of chronic viral liver damage.Gastroenterology 11:672, 1948.
- Girolami, M. “Treatment of Ascitic Atrophic Cirrhosis of the Liver with High Dosages of Testosterone Propionate.” InProceedings of the World Congress on Gastroenterology (Vol. 2). 1958, p. 877.
- Wells, R. Prednisolone on testosterone propionate in cirrhosis of the liver: A controlled trial.Lancet 2:1416, 1960. CrossRef
- Fenster, F. The nonefficacy of short-term anabolic steroid therapy in alcoholic liver disease.Ann Intern Med 65:738, 1966.
- Sidranski, H., andFarber, E. Sex difference in induction of periportal fatty liver by methionine deficiency in the rat.Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 98:293, 1958.
- Massei, G., Vallani, C., andCaturegli, G. Effects of high doses of testosterone propionate on liver damage produced with carbon tetrachloride.Arch Sci Med (Torino) 108:811, 1959.
- Mallov, S. Effect of sex hormones on ethanol induced fatty infiltration of liver in rats.Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 97:226, 1958.
- Lombardi, B., andUgazio, G. Serum lipoproteins in rats with carbon tetrachloride-induced fatty liver.J Lipid Res 6:498, 1965.
- Robinson, D. S., andSeakins, A. The effect of the administration of carbon tetrachloride on the formation of plasma lipoproteins in the rat.Biochem J 86:401, 1963.
- Olivecrona, T. The metabolism of 1-C14-palmitic acid in rats with ethionine-induced fatty livers.Acta Physiol Scand 54:287, 1962.
- Robinson, D. S., andSeakins, A. The development in the rat of fatty livers associated with reduced plasma lipoprotein synthesis.Biochem Biophys Acta 62:163, 1962. CrossRef
- Creasey, W. A., Hankins, L., andHandschumacher, R. E. Fatty liver produced by orotic acid: I. Accumulation and metabolism of lipids.J Biol Chem 236:2064, 1961.
- Standerfer, S. B., andHandler, P. Fatty liver induced by orotic acid feeding.Proc Soc Exp Biol Med 90:270, 1955.
- Seakins, A., andRobinson, D. S. Changes associated with the production of fatty livers by white phosphorus and by ethanol in the rat.Biochem J 92:308, 1964.
- Jabbari, M., andLeevy, C. M. Protein anabolism and fatty liver of the alcoholic.Medicine (Balt) 46:131, 1967.
- Furman, R. H., Howard, R. P., Norcia, L. N., andKeaty, C. The influence of androgens, estrogens and related steroids on serum lipids and lipoproteins.Amer J Med 24:80, 1958. CrossRef
- Howard, R. P., andFurman, R. H. Metabolic and serum lipid effects of methylandrostane and methylandrostene pyrazoles.J Clin Endocr 22:43, 1962.
- Furman, R. H., Howard, R. P., andAlaupovic, P. Reduction in serum lipid levels during oral administration of C-17-alkylated steroids, methyl-testosterone and methylandrostanopyrazole, to hyperlipemic subjects.J Lab Clin Med 60:876, 1962.
- Anabolic steroid therapy as an adjunct to diet in alcoholic hepatic steatosis
The American Journal of Digestive Diseases
Volume 13, Issue 9 , pp 783-791
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. From the Division of Gastroenterology, Hepatic Research Laboratory, Indiana University School of Medicine, Indianapolis, Ind.