Effect of nitrate nutrition on iron utilization by an Fe-efficient and an Fe-inefficient soybean cultivar
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The effects of increasing amount of nitrate nitrogen on the growth, dry matter production, ionic balance and the appearance of iron chlorosis in two soybean cultivars were studied. More nitrogen increased the dry matter production of the Fe-efficient cultivar Hawkeye and decreased that of the Fe-inefficient cultivar T-203. The plants of Hawkeye showed no iron deficiency symptoms whereas all the plants of the Fe-inefficient cultivar T-203 developed Fe deficiency after about one week following emergence. The degree of chlorosis in the cultivar T-203 was more pronounced as the amount of nitrate applied increased.
- Ambler, J. R., Brown, J. C. and Gauch, H. G. 1971 Sites of iron reduction in soybean plants. Agron. J.63, 95–97.
- Breteler, H. 1973 A comparison between ammonium and nitrate nutrition of young sugar-beet plants grown in nutrient solutions at constant acidity, 1. Production of dry matter, ionic balance and chemical composition. Neth. J. Agric. Sci.21, 227–244.
- Bromfield, S. M. 1958 The solution of j-MnO2 by substances released from soil and from the roots of oats and vetch in relation to Mn availability. Plant and Soil10, 147–160. CrossRef
- Brown, J. C. 1963 Iron chlorosis in soybeans as related to the genotype of rootstock. Soil Sci.96, 387–396.
- Brown, J. C. 1966 Fe and Ca uptake as related to root-sap and stem-exudate citrate in soybeans. Physiol. Plant.19, 968–976
- Brown, J. C. 1972 Competition between phosphate and the plant for Fe from Fe2+ ferrozine. Agron. J.64, 240–243.
- Brown, J. C., Ambler, J. E., Chaney, R. D. and Foy, C. D. 1972 Differential responses of plant genotypes to micronutrients.In J. J. Mortvedt, P. M. Giordano and W. L. Lindsay (Ed.) Micronutrients in Agriculture. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Inc. Madison, Wisconsin 389–418.
- Brown, J. C. and Chaney, R. L. 1971 Effect of iron on the transport of citrate into xylem of soybeans and tomatoes. Plant Physiol.47, 836–840
- Brown, J. C., Holmes, R. S. and Tiffin, L. O. 1961 Iron chlorosis in soybeans as related to the genotype of rootstalk: 3. Chlorosis susceptibility and reductive capacity at the root. Soil Sci.91, 127–132.
- Brown, J. C. and Jones, W. E. 1962 Absorption of Fe, Mn, Zn, Ca, Rb and phosphate ions by soybean roots that differ in their reductive capacity. Soil Sci.94, 173–179.
- Brown, J. C. and Jones, W. E. 1976 A technique to determine iron efficiency in plants. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J.40, 398–405.
- Brown, J. C. and Tiffin, L. O. 1965 Iron stress as related to the iron and citrate occurring in stem exudate. Plant Physiol.40, 395–400.
- Brown, J. C., Weber, C. R. and Caldwell, B. E. 1967 Efficient and inefficient use of iron by two soybean genotypes and their isolines. Agron. J.59, 459–462.
- Chaney, R. L., Brown, J. C. and Tiffin, L. O. 1972 Obligatory reduction of ferric chelates in iron uptake by soybeans. Plant Physiol.50, 208–213.
- Christ, R. A. 1974 Iron requirement and iron uptake from various iron compounds by different plant species. Plant Physiol.54, 582–585.
- Cox, F. R. and Kamprath, E. J. 1972 Micronutrient soil tests.In J. J. Mortvedt, A. M. Giordano and W. L. Lindsay (Ed.) Micronutrients in Agriculture. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Inc. Madison, Wisconsin 289–317.
- De Kock, P. C. 1955 Iron nutrition of plants at high pH. Soil Sci.79, 167–175.
- Diest, A. van 1976 Ammonium en nitraatvoeding van cultuurgewassen. Stikstof7, 389–394.
- Dijkshoorn, W., Lathwell, D. J. and Wit, C. T. de 1968 Temporal changes in carboxylate content of ryegrass with stepwise changes in nutrition. Plant and Soil29, 369–390. CrossRef
- Egmond, F. van 1975 The ionic balance of the sugar-beet plant. Thesis Wageningen, also: Agric. Res. Rep.832.
- Egmond, F. van and Aktaş, M. 1977 Iron-nutritional aspects of the ionic balance of plants. Plant and Soil48, 685–703. CrossRef
- Houba, V. J. G., Egmond, F. van and Wittich, E. M. 1971 Changes in production of organic nitrogen and carboxylates (C-A) in young sugar-beet plants grown in nutrient solutions of different nitrogen composition. Neth. J. Agric. Sci.19, 39–47.
- Kashirad, A. and Marschner, H. 1974 Iron nutrition of sunflower and corn plants in mono and mixed culture. Plant and Soil41, 91–101. CrossRef
- Kirkby, E. A. 1974 Recycling of potassium in plants considered in relation to ion uptake and organic acid accumulation.In J. Wehrman (Ed.) Proc. 7th Int. Coll. Plant Anal. Fertilizer Problems, Hannover 557–568.
- Kliman, S. 1937 The importance of ferrous iron in plants and soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. Proc.2, 385–392.
- Marschner, H., Kalisch, A. and Römheld, V. 1974 Mechanism of iron uptake in different plant species.In J. Wehrmann (Ed.) 7th Int. Coll. Plant Anal. Fertilizer Problems, Hannover 273–281.
- Schouwenburg, J. Ch. van and Walinga, I. 1975 Methods of analysis for plant material. Syllabus for MSc. course. Wageningen.
- Slangen, J. H. G. and Hoogendijk, A. W. 1970 Voorschriften voor chemische analyse van gewasmonsters. Afdeling Landbouwscheikunde, Landbouwhogeschool, Wageningen.
- Venkat Raju, K. and Marschner, H. 1972 Regulation of iron uptake from relatively insoluble iron compounds by sunflower plants. Z. Pflanzenernaehr Dueng. Bodenkd.133, 227–241.
- Venkat, Raju K., Marschner, H. and Römheld, V. 1972 Effect of iron nutritional status on iron uptake, substrate pH and production and release of organic acid and riboflavin by sunflower plants. Z. Pflanzenernaehr. Dueng. Bodenkd.132, 177–190.
- Effect of nitrate nutrition on iron utilization by an Fe-efficient and an Fe-inefficient soybean cultivar
Plant and Soil
Volume 51, Issue 2 , pp 257-274
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Fe nutrition
- Fe efficiency
- Soybean cultivars
- Industry Sectors