Pain and fatigue in patients with rheumatic disorders
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The purpose of the study was to investigate whether fibromyalgia patients (n=50) differed from patients with rheumatoid arthritis (n=22) and ankylosing spondylitis (n=31) with respect to pain experience, pain coping and fatigue. A high general pain intensity level was recorded by the McGill Pain Questionnaire (p<0.01) and the visual analogue scale (p<0.01) in the fibromyalgia group compared to the other groups. The pain was of continuous duration in the fibromyalgia patients while the rheumatoid arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis patients experienced intermittent pain. A high correlation between sensory and affective pain rating indexes was determined in all patient groups (p<0.01). No statistically significant difference between the groups in pain coping was recorded. A high frequency of reported gastrointestinal problems (p<0.01) and high intensity of fatigue (p<0.01) were seen in the fibromyalgia group compared to the other groups. In the fibromyalgia group there was no correlation between the sleep problems and fatigue intensity. Thus, the fibromyalgia patients differed from the other groups in reporting frequently shoulder and upper arm pain, continuous pain, higher levels of fatigue and pain intensities as well as high frequency of gastrointestinal problems.
- Yunus, M., Masi, A.T., Calabro, J.J., Miller, K.A., Feigenbaum, S.L. Primary fibromyalgia (fibrositis): Clinical study of 50 patients with matched normal controls. Semin Arthr Rheum 1981, 11, 1, 151–171.
- Smuckler, N.M. Pain perception. Bull Rheum Dis 1985, 35, 1, 85–91.
- Smythe, H.A. “Fibrositis” as a disorder of pain modulation. Clin Rheum Dis 1979, 53, 823–832.
- Vaerøy, H., Helle, R., Førre, Ø., Kåss, E., Terenius, L. Elevated CFS levels of substance P and high incidence of Raynaud phenomenon in patients with fibromyalgia: new features for diagnosis. Pain 1988, 32, 21–26.
- Yunus, M.B. Towards a model of pathophysiology of fibromyalgia: Aberrant central pain mechanisms with peripheral modulation (editorial). J Rheumatol 1992, 19, 6, 846–850.
- Bennett, R.M. Physical fitness and muscle metabolism in the fibromyalgia syndrome. An overview. J Rheumatol 1989, (19) 16, 28–29.
- Bengtsson, A., Henriksson, K.G. The muscle in fibromyalgia - a review of Swedish studies. J Rheumatol 1989, (19) 16, 144–149.
- Vaerøy, H., Quiao, Z.G., Mørkrid, L., Førre, Ø. Altered sympathetic nervous system response in patients with fibromyalgia (fibrosistis syndrome). J Rheumatol 1989, 16, 11, 1460–1465.
- Fields, H. Pain. McGraw-Hill, NY 1987.
- Leawitt, F., Katz, R.S., Golden, H.E., Glickman, P.B., Layfer, L.F. Comparison of pain properties in fibromyalgia patients and rheumatoid arthritis patients. Arthr Rheum 1986, 29, 6, 775–781.
- Nolli, M., Ghirelli, L., Ferraccioli, G.F. Pain language in fibromyalgia, rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1988, 6, 27–33.
- Wagstaff, S., Smith, O.V., Wood, P.H.N. Verbal pain descriptors used by patients with arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis 1985, 44, 262–265.
- Hall, W. On ratio scales of sensory and affective verbal pain descriptors. Pain 1981, 11, 101–107.
- Gracely, R.H., Dubner, R. Pain assessment in humans — a reply to Hall. Pain 1981, 11, 109–120.
- Melzack, R., Torgersson, W.S. On the language of pain. Anesthesiology 1971, 34, 50–59.
- Melzack, R. The McGill Pain Questionnaire: Major properties and scoring methods. Pain 1975, 1, 277–299.
- Prieto, E.J., Hopson, L., Bradley, L.A., Byrne, M., Geisinger, K.F., Midax, D., Marchisello, P.J. The language of low back pain: factor structure of McGill Pain Questionnaire. Pain 1980, 8, 11–19.
- Reading, A.E. The internal structure of the McGill Pain Questionnaire in dysmennorhoea patients. Pain 1979, 7, 353–358.
- Graham, C., Bond, S.S., Gerkovich, M.M., Cook, M.R. Use of the McGill Pain Questionnaire in the assessment of cancer pain: repliciability and consistency. Pain 1980, 8, 377–387.
- Dubuisson, D., Melzack, R. Classification of clinical pain descripions by multiple group discriminant analysis. Exp Neurol 1976, 51, 480–487.
- Reading, A.E. A comparison of the McGill Pain Questionnaire in chronic and acute pain. Pain 1982, 13, 185–192.
- Huskisson, E.C. Measurement of pain. J Rheum 1982, 9, 5, 768–769.
- Crosby, L.J. Factors which contribute to fatigue associated with rheumatoid arthritis. J Adv Nurs 1991, 16, 974–981.
- Moldofski, H., Scarisbrick, P., England, R., Smythe, H. Musculoskeletal symptoms and non-REM sleep disturbance in patients with “fibrositis syndrome” and healthy subjects. Psychosom Med 1975, 37, 341–351.
- Mengshoel, A.M., Komnæs, H.B., Førre, Ø. Muscle strength and aerobic capacity in primary fibromyalgia. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1990, 8, 475–479.
- Keefe, F.J. Behavioral assessment and treatment of chronic pain: current status and future directions. J Consult Clin Psychol 1982, 50, 6, 896–911.
- Goldenberg, D.L. Management of fibromyalgia syndrome. Rheum Dis Clin North Am 1989, 15, 3, 499–512.
- Keefe, F.J., Dolan, E. Pain behavior and pain coping strategies in low back pain and myofascial pain dysfunction syndrome patients. Pain 1986, 24, 49–56.
- Parker, J.C., Frank, R.G., Beck, N.C., Smarr, K.L., Buescher, K.L., Phillips, L.R., Smith, E.I., Anderson, S.K., Walker, S.E. Pain management in rheumatoid arthritis patients. A cognitive-behavioral approach. Arthr Rheum 1988, 31, 5, 593–601.
- Basler, H.D., Rehfisch, H.P. Cognitive-behavioral therapy in patients with ankylosing spondylitis in a German self-help organization. J Psychosom Res 1991, 35, 2/3, 345–354.
- The American College of Rheumatology. Criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Report of the multicenter Criteria Committee. Arthr Rheum 1990, 33, 2, 160–172.
- Arnett, F.C., Edworthy, S.M., Bloch, D.A., McShane, D.J., Fries, J.F., Cooper, N.S., Healey, L.A., Kaplan, S.R., Liang, M.H., Luthra, H.S., Medseger, T.A. Jr., Mitchell, D.M., Neustadt, D.H., Pinals, R.S., Schaller, J.G., Sharp, J.T., Wilder, R.L., Hunder, G.G. The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthr Rheum 1988, 31, 315–324.
- Steinbrocker, O., Traeger, C.H., Batterman, R.C. Therapeutical criteria in rheumatoid arthritis. JAMA 1949, 140, 659–662.
- Moll, J.M.H., Wright, V. New York clinical criteria for ankylosing spondylitis. Ann Rheum Dis 1973, 32, 354–363.
- Strand, L.I., Wisnes, A.R. The development of a Norwegian pain questionnaire. Pain 1991, 46, 61–66.
- Price, D.D., McGrath, P.A., Rafii, A., Bucklingham, B. The validation of visual analogue scales as ratio scale measures for chronic and experimental pain. Pain 1983, 17, 45–56.
- Seymour, R.A., Simpson, J.M., Charlton, J.E., Phillips, M.E. An evaluation of length and end-phrase of visual analogue scales in dental pain. Pain 1985, 21, 177–185.
- Brown, G.K., Nicassio, P.M. Development of a questionnaire for the assessment of active and passive coping strategies in chronic pain patients. Pain 1987, 31, 53–64.
- Kendell, M., Stuart, A. The advanced theory of statetics. Vol I, Griffin et co. Ltd. London 1979.
- Grefti, A. Categorical data analysis. John Wiley & Sons, NY 1990.
- Burckhardt, C.S. The use of the McGill Pain Questionnaire in assessing arthritis pain. Pain 1984, 19, 305–314.
- Rollman, G.B. Measurement of pain in fibromyalgia in the clinic and laboratory. J Rheumatol 1989, (19 suppl.) 16, 113–119.
- Gaston-Johansson, F., Johansson, G., Felldin, R., Sanne, H. A comparative study of pain description, emotional discomfort and health perception in patients with chronic pain syndrome and rheumatoid arthritis. Scand J Rehabil Med 1985, 17, 109–119.
- Uveges, J.M., Parker, J.C., Smarr, K.L., McGowan, J.F., Lyon, M.G., Irvin, W.S., Meyer, A.A., Buckelew, S.P., Morgan, R.K., Delmonico, R.L., Hewett, J.E., Kay, D.R. Psychological symptoms in primary fibromyalgia syndrome: Relationship to pain, life stress, and sleep disturbance. Arthr Rheum 1990, 33, 8, 1279–1283.
- Hawley, D.J., Wolfe, F. Pain, disability, and pain/disability relationships in seven rheumatic disorders: A study of 1,522 patients. J Rheumatol 1991, 18, 10, 1552–1557.
- Price, D.D., Harkins, S.W., Baker, C. Sensory-affective relationships among different types of clinical and experimental pain. Pain 1987, 28, 297–307.
- Veilleux, S., Melzack, R. Pain in psychotic patients. Exp Rheumatol 1976, 52, 535–543.
- Keefe, F.J., Caldwell, D.S., Martinez, S., Nunley, J., Beckham, J., Williams, D.A. Analyzing pain in rheumatoid arthritis patients. Pain coping strategies in patients who have had knee replacement surgery. Pain 1991, 46, 153–160.
- Anderson, L.P., Rehm, L.P. The relationship between strategies of coping and perception of pain in three chronic pain groups. J Clin Psychol 1984, 40, 1170–1177.
- Mengshoel, A.M., Komnæs, H.B., Førre, Ø. The effects of 20 weeks of physical fitness training in female fibromyalgia patients. Clin Exp Rheumatol 1992, 10, 345–349.
- Mahowald, M.W., Mahowald, M.L., Bundlie, S.R., Ytterberg, S.R. Sleep fragmentation in rheumatoid arthritis. Arthr Rheum 1989, 32, 8, 974–983.
- Lavie, P., Epstein, R., Tzischinski, O., Gilad, D., Nahir, M., Lorber, M., Scharf, Y. Actigraphic measurements of sleep in rheumatoid arthritis: comparison of patients with low back pain and healthy controls. J Rheumatol 1992, 19, 362–365.
- Taylor, H.G., Wardle, T., Beswich, E.J., Dawes, P.T. The relationship of clinical and laboratory measurements to radiological change in ankylosing spondylitis. Br J Rheumatol 1991, 30, 330–335.
- Nicassio, P.M., Wallston, K.A. Longitudinal relationships among pain, sleep problems, and depression in rheumatoid arthritis. J Abnorm Psychol 1992, 101, 3, 514–520.
- Serbo, B., Jajic, I. Relationship of the functional status, duration of the disease and pain intensity and some psychological variables in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. Clin Rheumatol 1991, 10, 4, 419–422.1
- Pain and fatigue in patients with rheumatic disorders
Volume 12, Issue 4 , pp 515-521
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ankylosing Spondylitis
- Pain Assessment
- Pain Coping
- Industry Sectors