Effect of zopiclone on sleep quality, morning stiffness, widespread tenderness and pain and general discomfort in primary fibromyalgia patients. A double-blind randomized trial
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Thirty-three patients fulfilling the diagnostic criteria for primary fibromyalgia completed an eight-week double-blind treatment trial with the drug zopiclone. Of outcome measures studied a score expressing subjective sleep quality showed improvement in more than ninety percent of zopiclone patients at 4 weeks and nearly eighty percent at 8 weeks, but similar improvement was also reported by more than sixty percent of the patients on placebo. Patient self-assessment of a treatment effect also showed an advantage for zopiclone, with most patients in the placebo group considering their state as unchanged at 8 weeks. According to examiner assessment, however, half the patients in both groups showed improvement at 8 weeks. For other assessment variables, e.g. dolorimeter assessment of widespread tenderness, visual analogue scales and pain drawings for pain and other subjective feelings of discomfort, the effects of zopiclone treatment were at the same level as those of placebo.
- Moldofsky, H., Scarisbrick, P., England, R., Smythe, H. Musculoskeletal symptoms and nonREM sleep disturbance in patients with “fibrositis” syndrome and healthy subjects. Psychosom Med 1975, 37, 341–351.
- Yunus, M.B., Masi, A.T., Calabro, J.J., Miller, K.A., Feigenbaum, S.L. Primary fibromyalgia (fibrositis): clinical study of 50 patients with matched normal controls. Semin Arthritis Rheum 1981, 11, 151–171.
- Wolfe, F., Smythe, H.A., Yunus, M.B. et al. The American College of Rheumatology 1990 criteria for the classification of fibromyalgia. Report of a multicenter criteria committee. Arthritis Rheum 1990, 33, 160–172.
- Nicholson, A.N., Stone, B.M. Zopiclone: sleep and performance studies in healthy man. Pharmacology 1983, 27(S2), 92–98.
- Drewes, A.M., Andreasen, A., Jennum, P., Nielsen, K.D. Zopiclone in the treatment of sleep abnormalities in fibromyalgia. Scand J Rheumatol 1991, 20, 288–293.
- Wolfe, F. Fibromyalgia. Rheum Dis Clin N Am 1990, 16, 681–698.
- Campbell, S.M. Is the tender point concept valid? Am J Med 1986, 81(3A), 33–37.
- Huskisson, E.C. Measurement of pain. J Rheumatol 1982, 9, 768–769.
- Grönblad, M., Lukinmaa, A., Konttinen, Y.T. Chronic low-back pain: interrelation of repeated measures for pain and disability. Scand J Rehabil Med 1990, 22, 73–77.
- Carette, S., McCain, G.A., Bell, D.A. et al. Evaluation of amitriptyline in primary fibrositis. Arthritis Rheum 1986, 29, 655–659.
- Jaeschke, R., Adachi, J., Guyatt, G., Keller, J., Wong, B. Clinical usefulness of amitriptyline in fibromyalgia: the results of 23 N-of-1 randomized controlled trials. J Rheumatol 1991, 18, 447–451.
- Reynolds, W.J., Moldofsky, H., Saskin, P., Lue, F.A. The effects of cyclobenzaprine on sleep physiology and symptoms in patients with fibromyalgia. J Rheumatol 1991, 18, 452–454.
- Smythe, H.A., Sheon, R.P. Fibrositis/fibromyalgia: a difference of opinion. Bull Rheum Dis 1990, 39, 1–8.
- Russell, I.J., Fletcher, E.M., Michalek, J.E., McBroom, P.C., Hester, G.G. Treatment of primary fibrositis/fibromyalgia syndrome with ibuprofen and alprazolam. Arthritis Rheum 1991, 34, 552–560.
- Stratz, T., Mennet, P., Beun, H.-P., Muller, W. Blockierung der S2-Rezeptoren — Ein neues Behandlungsprinzip der generalisierten Tendomyopathie (Fibromyalgie)? Z Rheumatol 1991, 50, 21–22.
- Mamelak, M., Scima, A., Price, V. Effects of zopiclone on the sleep of chronic insomniacs. Pharmacology 1983, 27(S2), 156–165.
- Simms, R.W., Felson, D.T., Goldenberg, D.L. Development of preliminary criteria for response to treatment in fibromyalgia syndrome. J Rheumatol 1991, 18, 1558–1563.
- Effect of zopiclone on sleep quality, morning stiffness, widespread tenderness and pain and general discomfort in primary fibromyalgia patients. A double-blind randomized trial
Volume 12, Issue 2 , pp 186-191
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Helsinki University Hospital, Haartmaninkatu 4, SF-00290, Helsinki, Finland
- 2. Finnish Academy, Helsinki
- 3. Institute of Occupational Health, Helsinki
- 4. Department of Internal Medicine, Kivelä City Hospital, Helsinki, Finland