Screening of some essential oils for their activities on dermatophytes
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fifty-three essential oils were tested against three frequently occurring dermatophytes (Epidermophyton floccosum, Trichophyton mentagrophytes var.interdigitale, T. rubrum) by means of an agar dilution technique. The oils were selected at random and not on the basis of a supposed activity. A number of oils showed interesting activities, expressed as maximum inhibitory dilution values, against the dermatophytes used. At the highest dilution tested (1:3,200, vol/vol), one out of six oils was active againstT. mentagrophytes var.interdigitale, and one out of three to four oils was active against the other dermatophytes.
- Janssen AM, Chin NLJ, Scheffer JJC, Baerheim Svendsen A. Screening for antimicrobial activity of some essential oils by the agar overlay technique. Statistics and correlations. Pharm Weekbl [Sci] 1986;8:289–92.
- Botter AA. Dermatophytic infections and their treatment. J Drug Ther Res 1984;9:357–63.
- Manten A. Antimycotica. In: Lammers W, Nelemans FA, Bouwman ThJ, Van Noordwijk J, Rosinga WM, eds. Algemene farmacotherapie. Het geneesmiddel in theorie en praktijk. 3rd ed. Leiden: Stafleu's Wetenschappelijke Uitgeversmaatschappij, 1975:214–20.
- Klokke AH. Spectrum of human mycoses. J Drug Ther Res 1984;9:328–9.
- Samson R. Biology of pathogen fungi. J Drug Ther Res 1984;9:347–51.
- Weinberg ED. Antifungal agents. In: Wolff ME, ed. Burger's medicinal chemistry. 4th ed. Part 11. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons, 1979:531–41.
- Van Bronswijk JEMH. Laboratory diagnostics of fungal skin diseases. J Drug Ther Res 1984;9:353–6.
- Funder S. Practical mycology. Oslo: Brøggers Boktr. Forlag, 1953:77–90.
- Wade A, ed. Martindale. The Extra Pharmacopoeia. 27th ed. London: The Pharmaceutical Press, 1977: 635.
- Van Joost Th, Stolz E, Van der Hoek JCS, Clermonts E. Sensitization to perfume-compounds: clinical and statistical studies. J Drug Ther Res 1984;9:303–5.
- Bronaugh RL, Stewart RF, Wester RC, Bucks D, Maibach HI, Anderson J. Comparison of percutaneous absorption of fragrances by humans and monkeys. Food Chem Toxicol 1985;23:111–4.
- Abramovici A, Rachmuth-Roizman P. Molecular structure-teratogenicity relationships of some fragrance additives. Toxicology 1983;29:143–56.
- Screening of some essential oils for their activities on dermatophytes
Volume 10, Issue 6 , pp 277-280
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Agar dilution technique
- Drug screening
- Essential oils
- Industry Sectors