Chlorine and bromine contents in tobacco and tobacco smoke
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The chlorine and bromine contents in tobacco and tobacco smoke in both the particulate and gaseous phases were studied by neutronactivation analysis. Methyl chloride and methyl bromide concentrations were measured in the gaseous phase by gas-liquid chromatography — mass spectrometry. The chlorine and bromine contents in nine brands of cigarettes were on the average as follows: Tobacco—6600 ppm chlorine and 110 ppm bromine. Cigarette smoke, particulate phase—68 μg chlorine and 1 μg bromine per cigarette. Cigarette smoke, gaseous phase—90 μg chlorine and 5 μg bromine per cigarette. In the gaseous phase methyl chloride accounted for 60% of the total chlorine and methyl bromine for 80% of the total bromine.
- Tobacco Smoking. IARC Monographs on the Evaluation of the Carcinogenic Risk of Chemicals to Humans, Volume 38, Lyon, 1987, pp. 83–126.
- V.J. Feron, P.J. Groenen, Fl. de Vrijer, Evaluation of the Effects on Health from Tar, Nicotine and Other Noxious Constituents of Tobacco Smoke. Central Institute for Nutrition and Food Research /TNO/, Report No. R 6193. Zeist, Netherlands, 1980.
- L. Fishbein, Halocarbons in Indoor Environments. In Environmental Carcinogens—Selected Methods of Analysis. Vol. 7—Some Volatile Halogenated Hydrocarbons. /Ed. L. Fishbein, I.K. O'Neill./ IARC Publ. No. 68, Lyon 1985, pp. 91–106.
- R.J. Philippe, M.E. Hobbs,Anal. Chem., 28 /1956/ 2002. CrossRef
- G. Eklund, J.R. Pedersen, B. Stromberg,Chemosphere, 17 /1988/ 575. CrossRef
- R.W. Jenkins, R.H. Newman, G.F. Lester, A.F. Frisch, T.G. Williamson,Beitr. Tabakforsch., 11 /1982/ 195.
- F.F. Guthrie,Beitr. Tabakforsch., 4 /1968/ 229.
- H.J.M. Bowen, Environmental Chemistry of the Elements. Academic Press, London, 1979, p. 242.
- H.A. Sloot van der, P. Hoede, J. Zonderhuis, C. Meijer, Preparation of Very Pure Active Carbon, Netherlands Energy Research Foundation, ECN 80, 1980, p. 8.
- R.A. Nadkarni, W.D. Ehmann,Radiochem. Radioanal. Lett., 2 /1969/ 161.
- R.W. Jenkins, R.H. Newman, R.M. Ikeda, R.D. Carpenter,Anal. Lett., 4 /1971/ 451.
- S. Ahmad, M.S. Chaudry, I.H. Qureshi,J. Radioanal. Chem., 54 /1979/ 331.
- F.Y. Iskander, T.L. Bauer, D.E. Klein,Analyst, 111 /1986/ 107. CrossRef
- R.R. Baker,Nature, 247 /1974/ 405. CrossRef
- Chlorine and bromine contents in tobacco and tobacco smoke
Journal of Radioanalytical and Nuclear Chemistry
Volume 144, Issue 5 , pp 367-374
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Reactor Laboratory, Technical Research Centre of Finland, Otakaari 3 A, SF-02150, Espoo, Finland
- 2. Food Research Laboratory, Technical Research Centre of Finland, Biologinkuja 1, SF-02150, Espoo, Finland