Family characteristics of autistic children: A further report
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The personality features of parents of a group of 21 well-functioning autistic children have been described previously. The main characteristics of these parents were social gaucheness and a tendency towards the single-minded pursuit of special, often intellectual, interests. We now present the agreement between research interviewers and clinician in the diagnosis of these parents as schizoid, together with clinical details of those parents rated by both as having definite schizoid traits. The educational functioning of the siblings of the autistic children compared with that of siblings of a matched control group is also reported.
- August, G. J., Stewart, M. A., and Tsai, L. (1981). The incidence of cognitive disabilities in the siblings of autistic children.British Journal of Psychiatry, 138, 416–422.
- Baird, T. D., & August, G. J. (1985). Familial heterogeneity in infantile autism.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 15, 315–321.
- Cox, A., Rutter, M., Newman, S., & Bartak, L. (1975). A comparative study of infantile autism and specific developmental receptive language disorder: II. Parental characteristics.British Journal of Psychiatry, 126, 146–159.
- DeLong, G. R., & Dwyer, J. T. (1988). Correlation of family history with specific autistic subgroups: Asperger's syndrome and bipolar affective disease.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18, 593–600.
- Folstein, S. E., & Rutter, M. L. (1988). Autism: Familial aggregation and genetic implications.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 18, 3–30.
- Goodman, R. (1989). Infantile autism: A syndrome of multiple primary deficits?Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 19, 409–424.
- Grove, W. M., Andreasen, N. C., McDonald Scott, P., Keller, M. B., & Shapiro, R. W. (1981). Reliability studies of psychiatric diagnosis: Theory and practice.Archives of General Psychiatry, 38, 408–413.
- Lotter, V. (1966). Epidemiology of autistic conditions in young children: I Prevalence.Social Psychiatry, 1, 124–137.
- Robins, L. N. (1985). Epidemiology: Reflections on testing the validity of psychiatric interviews.Archives of General Psychiatry, 42, 918–924.
- Rutter, M., & Schopler, E. (1987). Autism and pervasive developmental disorders: Concepts and diagnostic issues.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 17, 159–186.
- Wolff, S., & Chick, J. (1980). Schizoid personality in childhood: a controlled follow-up study.Psychological Medicine, 10, 85–100.
- Wolff, S., Narayan, S., & Moyes, B. (1988). Characteristics of parents of autistic children: A controlled study.Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry, 29, 143–153.
- Family characteristics of autistic children: A further report
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 20, Issue 4 , pp 523-535
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors