Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The study aimed to identify families with endometriosis and to document disease seventy within the families and the clinical characteristics of the affected women.
Two hundred and thirty women with surgically confirmed endometriosis in 100 families were identified. The families consisted of 19 mother-daughter pairs, 1 set of cousins and 56 sister pairs. There were 5 families with 3 affected sisters, 1 family with 5 affected sisters, and 18 families with ≥3 affected members in more than one generation. The mean age at the onset of symptoms and the mean age at surgical diagnosis was 22.1±8.8 SD (range 10–46) and 31.8±7.9 SD (range 15–56) years respectively. Seventy-nine women (34.3%) had revised AFS Stage I–II disease, and 151 (65.7%) had revised AFS Stage III–IV disease.
The study confirms a familial tendency for endometriosis and supports the hypothesis that endometriosis has a genetic basis.
- Haupt BJ: Utilization of short-stay hospitals: annual summary for the United States, 1980. Vital Health Stat 1982;13(64):1–60
- Houston DE, Noller KL, Meltson LJ III,et al: Incidence of pelvic endometriosis in Rochester Minnesota, 1970–1979. Am J Epidemiol 1987;125:959–962
- Simpson JL, Elias S, Malinak LR, Buttram VC: Heritable aspects of endometriosis. I: Genetic studies. Am J Obstet Gynecol 1980;137:327–331
- Coxhead D, Thomas EJ: Familial inheritance of endometriosis in a British population. A case control study. J Obstet Gynaecol 1993;13:42–44
- Moen MH, Magnus P: The familial risk of endometriosis, Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1993;72:560–564
- Moen MH: Endometriosis in monozygotic twins. Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand 1994;73:59–62
- American Fertility Society: Revised American Fertility Society classification of endometriosis. Fertil Steril 1985;43:351–352
- Suarez BK: The affected sib pair IBD distribution for HLA-linked disease susceptibility genes. Tissue Antigens 1978;12:87–93
- Familial endometriosis
Journal of Assisted Reproduction and Genetics
Volume 12, Issue 1 , pp 32-34
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors