Youth and the transition to adult status: Uganda
- Sheldon G. Weeks
- … show all 1 hide
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
This paper examines the transition to adult status in four ethnic groups in Uganda, including one with circumcision and one with age-sets. The formal status hierarchies and the recognized points of transition are described. Then the variations from these norms are examined to show that when one functionally becomes an adult may differ from the stated points of transition.
- Armer, M. (1970) Formal education and psychological malaise in an African Society. Sociol. Educ. 43: pp. 143-158
- Brown, J. Adolescent initiation rites among preliterate peoples. In: Grinder, E. E. eds. (1963) Studies in Adolescence. Macmillan, New York
- Cain, L. D. Life course and social structure. In: Faris, R. E. L. eds. (1964) Handbook of Modern Sociology. Rand-McNally, Chicago
- Dyson-Hudson, N. (1966) Karimojong Politics. Clarendon Press, London
- Eisenstadt, S. N. (1956) From Generation to Generation: Age Groups and Social Structure. Routledge and Kegan Paul, London
- Elder, G. H. (1969) Age Groups, Status Transition, and Socialization. National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, Washington, D.C.
- Erikson, E. H. (1968) Indentity: Youth and Crisis. Norton, New York
- Group for the Advancement of Psychiatry (1968).Normal Adolescence: Its Dynamic and Impact, New York.
- Gulliver, P. (1955) Family Herds. Routledge and Kegan paul, London
- Kisekka, M. Traditional beliefs and practices relevant to family planning among the Baganda. In: Molnos, A. eds. (1973) Anthology of Traditional Beliefs in East Africa. University of Nairobi, Kenya
- Kizza-SSali, J. (1972). Unpublished memorandum to the author on age and status in Buganda.
- LaFontaine, J. S. (1959) The Gisu of Uganda. International African Institute, London
- Mair, L. (1934) An African People in the Twentieth Century. Routledge and Kegan Paul, London
- Matza, D. Position and behavior patterns of youth. In: Faris, R. E. L. eds. (1964) Handbook of Modern Sociology. Rand-McNally, Chicago
- McQueen, A. J. (1969) Unemployment and the future orientations of Nigerian schoolleavers. Can. J. Afr. Stud. 3: pp. 441-461
- Middleton, J. (1965) The Lugbara of Uganda. Holt, New York
- Molli, G. (1969) Circumcision and marriage among the Bagisu. Nanga (Kampala) 2: pp. 35-42
- Nagashima, N. (1970) Itesot customs. Makerere University, Kampala
- Omwony-Ojwok (1970). Education and social change in Labwor. In Conference Papers, Nabugabo Conference, Makerere Institute of Social Research, Kampala.
- Roscoe, J. (1965) The Baganda. Cass, London
- Wallace, T. (1970). Man in Modern Africa: Alienated or integrated? in Conference Papers, Nabugabo Conference, Makerere Institute of Social Research, Kampala.
- Wallace, T. and Weeks, S. G. (1970). The methodology of the Uganda Youth Survey. Seventh World Congress of Sociology (Youth Sessions), Varna, Bulgaria.
- Wallace, T., Weeks, S. G. (1972) Youth in uganda: some teoretical perspectives. Internat. Soc. Sci. J. 24: pp. 354-365
- Whiting, J. W. M., Kluckhohn, R., Anthony, A. S. The function of male initiation ceremonies at puberty. In: Maccoby, E. E., Newcomb, T. M., Hartley, E. L. eds. (1958) Readings in Social Psychology. Holt, New York
- Zolberg, A. R. (1969) Youth as a phenomenon in Africa. Youth and Society 1: pp. 199-218
- Youth and the transition to adult status: Uganda
Journal of Youth and Adolescence
Volume 2, Issue 3 , pp 259-270
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors
- Sheldon G. Weeks (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Sociology Department, University of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania