Influence of age and environmental factors on burrow-making behavior of the short-tailed cricket,Anurogryllus muticus (De Geer) (Orthoptera: Gryllidae)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
For the short-tailed cricket, Anurogryllus muticus, burrow-making behavior is essential. All nymphal instars construct burrows, but in the adult stage the rate of burrowing behavior is age dependent. Increases in photophase and light intensity stimulate burrowing, and the explicit negative phototaxis is correlated with the cricket's inability to exist under dry conditions. Ingestion of substrate during burrow construction may serve to acquire additional moisture. There is no evidence of burrow recognition, and crickets can construct a burrow when needed. The natural distribution of burrows at the plot investigated on Moorea supports the notion thatA. muticus builds burrows where the preferred food plantAlysicarpus vaginalis is most abundant. By minimizing the traveling distance to food sources when foraging they can retreat to their burrow again.
- Beck, S. D. (1980).Insect Photoperiodism, 2nd ed., Academic Press, New York.
- Bell, P. D. (1979). The thermoregulatory burrow of the fast-calling short-tailed cricket,Anurogryllus celerinictus (Orthoptera: Gryllidae),Ann. Entomol. Soc. Am. 72: 596–598.
- Bennet-Clark, H. C. (1970). The mechanism and efficiency of sound production in mole crickets.J. Exp. Biol. 52: 619–652.
- Bernays, E. A., and Simpson, S. J. (1982). Control of food intake.Adv. Insect Physiol. 16: 59–118.
- Bradshaw, J. W. S., and Howse, P. E. (1984). Sociochemicals of ants. In Bell, W. J., and Carde, R. T. (eds.),Chemical Ecology of Insects, Chapman and Hall, London, pp. 429–473.
- Brian, M. V. (1983).Social Insects, Ecology and Behavioral Biology, Chapman and Hall, London.
- Evans, H. E., and West Eberhard, M. J. (1970).The Wasps, University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor.
- Hölldobler, B., and Wilson, E. O. (1990).The Ants, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Lee, H.-J., and Loher, W. (1993). The mating strategy of the male short-tailed cricketAnurogryllus muticus deGeer.Ethology 95: 327–344.
- Lee, H.-J., and Loher, W. (1995). Changes in the behavior of the female short- tailed cricketAnurogryllus muticus (de Geer) (Orthoptera: Gryllidae) following mating.J. Insect Behav. 8: 547–562.
- Lin, N., and Michener, C. D. (1972). Evolution of sociality in insects.Q. Rev. Biol. 47: 131–159.
- Loher, W., and Dambach, M. (1989). Reproductive behavior. In Huber, F., Moore, T. E., and Loher, W. (eds.),Cricket Behavior and Neurobiology, Cornell University Press, Ithaca, NY, pp. 43–82.
- Loher, W., and Orsak, L. J. (1985). Circadian patterns of premating behavior inTeleogryllus oceanicus Le Guillou under laboratory and field conditions.Behav. Ecol. Sociobiol. 16: 223–231.
- Loher, W., and Rence, B. (1978). The mating behavior ofTeleogryllus commodus and its central and peripheral control.Z. Tierpsychol. 46: 225–259.
- Lys, J.-A., and Leuthold, R. H. (1991). Morphology of the gallery system around the nest and gallery development under experimental conditions in the termiteMacrotermes bellicosus (Smeathman).Insects Soc. 38: 63–76.
- Packer, L., and Knerer, G. (1986). An analysis of variation in the nest architecture ofHalictus ligatus in Ontario.Insects Soc. 33: 190–205.
- Peterson, A. (1964).Entomological Techniques, How to Work with Insects, 10th ed., Edwards Brothers, Ann Arbor, MI.
- Starr, C. K. (1991). The nest as the locus of social life. In Ross, K. G., and Matthews, R. W. (eds.),The Social Biology of Wasps, Comstock, Ithaca, NY, pp. 520–539.
- Tschinkel, W. R. (1987). Seasonal life history and nest architecture of a winter-active ant,Prenolepis imparis, Insects Soc. 34: 143–164.
- Walker, T. J., and Whitesell, J. J. (1982). Singing schedules and sites for a tropical burrowing cricket,Anurogryllus muticus.Biotropica 14: 220–227.
- West, M. J., and Alexander, R. D. (1963). Sub-social behavior in a burrowing cricket,Anurogryllus muticus (DeGeer).Ohio J. Sci. 63: 19–24.
- Wilson, E. O. (1971).The Insect Societies, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA.
- Influence of age and environmental factors on burrow-making behavior of the short-tailed cricket,Anurogryllus muticus (De Geer) (Orthoptera: Gryllidae)
Journal of Insect Behavior
Volume 9, Issue 5 , pp 819-834
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- burrow-making behavior
- environmental factors
- short-tailed cricket
- Anurogryllus muticus