Nitrogen fixation (acetylene reduction) and cross inoculation in 12 Prosopis (mesquite) species
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The leguminous tree mesquite (Prosopis spp) exists on millions of hectares of semi-arid regions of the world. No whole plant acetylene reductions for mesquite have been reported in the literature and nodulation has only been reported for three of the forty-four species. We report greenhouse studies in which 12Prosopis species representing African and North and South American germplasm (1) became nodulated when inoculated with rhizobia strain isolated from a North American mesquite, (2) grew on a nitrogen free nutrient media, (3) reduced acetylene to ethylene, and (4) had a positive significant correlation between the acetylene reduction rates and above ground dry matter. The capability of mesquite to fix nitrogen must now be considered firmly established.
- Alessi, J. and Power, J. F. 1976 Water use by dryland corn as affected by maturity class and plant spacing. Agron. J.68, 547–550.
- Bailey, A. W. 1976 Nitrogen fixation in honey mesquite seedlings. J. Range Manage.29, 479–481.
- Balandreau, J. and Dommergues, Y. 1973 Assaying nitrogenase (C2H2) activity in the field. Bull. Ecol. Res. Comm. Stockholm17, 247–254.
- Basak, M. K. and Goyal, S. K. 1975 Studies on tree legumes: Nodulation pattern and characterization of the symbiont. Ann. Arid Zone14, 367–370.
- Burkart, A. 1976 A monograph of the genusProsopis (Leguminosae subfamMimosoideae). J. Arnold Arbo. Harv. Univ.57, 217–240 and57, 450–525.
- Charreau, C. and Vidal, P. 1965 Influence de l'Acacia albida sur le sol, nutrition minerale et rendements des milsPennisetum au Senegal. L'Agron. Trop.20, 600–626.
- Corby, H. D. L. 1971 The shape of leguminous nodules and the colour of leguminous roots. Plant and Soil Spec. Vol. 305–314.
- Dancette, C. and Poulain, J. F. 1969 Influence ofAcacia albida on pedoclimatic factors and crop yields. Afr. Soils14, 143–184.
- Eskew, D. L. and Ting, I. P. 1978 Nitrogen fixation by legumes and blue-green algal-lichen crusts in a Colorado desert environment. Am. J. Bot.65, 850–856.
- Fischer, R. A. and Turner, N. C. 1978 Plant productivity in the arid and semi-arid zones. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol.39, 277–317. CrossRef
- Gillier, P. 1960 La reconstitution et le maintien de la fertilite des sols du Senegal et le probleme des jacheres. Oleagineux15, 637–704.
- Griffith, A. L. 1961Acacia andProsopis in the dry forests of the tropics. Mimeo, 149 pages FAO, Rome.
- Gupta, R. K. and Balera, S. G. 1972 Comparative studies on the germination, growth, and seedling biomass of two exotics in the Rajasthan desert. Indian For. 280–285.
- Huss-Daniel, K. 1978 Nitrogenase activity measurements in intact plants ofAlnus incana. Physiol. Plant.43, 372–376.
- Mahon, J. D. 1977 Respiration and the energy requirement for nitrogen fixation in nodulated pea roots. Plant. Physiol.60, 817–821.
- Meinzer, O. E. 1927 Plants as indicators of ground water. pp. 43–54. Water supply paper 577, U.S. Geol. Surv. Washington, D.C.
- Minchin, F. R., Huxley, P. A. and Summerfield, R. J. 1976 Effect of root temperature on growth and seed yield in Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata). Exp. Agric.12, 279–288.
- Parker, K. W. and Martin, S. G. 1952 The mesquite problem on the southern Arizona range. USDA Circ.968, 70 pages.
- Paul, E. A., Meyers, R. J. K. and Rice, W. A. 1971 Nitrogen fixation in grassland and associated cultivated ecosystems. Plant and Soil Spec. Vol. 495–507.
- Phillips, W. S. 1963 Depth of roots in Soil. Ecol.44, 424.
- Summerfield, R. J., Huxley, P. A. and Minchin, F. R. 1977 Plant husbandry and management techniques for growing grain legumes under simulated tropical conditions in controlled environments. Exp. Agric.13, 81–92.
- Thibodeau, P. S. and Jaworski, E. G. 1975 Patterns of nitrogen utilization in the soybean. Planta Berlin127, 133–147.
- Tiedemann, A. R. and Klemmedson, J. O. 1973 Nutrient availability in desert grassland soils under mesquite (Prosopis juliflora) trees and adjacent open areas. Soil. Sci. Am. Proc.37, 107–111.
- Nitrogen fixation (acetylene reduction) and cross inoculation in 12 Prosopis (mesquite) species
Plant and Soil
Volume 57, Issue 2-3 , pp 177-186
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Drought-adapted legumes
- Leguminous trees
- Rangeland improvement
- Semi-arid soils
- Industry Sectors