Nitrogen fixation (acetylene reduction) and cross inoculation in 12 Prosopis (mesquite) species
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The leguminous tree mesquite (Prosopis spp) exists on millions of hectares of semi-arid regions of the world. No whole plant acetylene reductions for mesquite have been reported in the literature and nodulation has only been reported for three of the forty-four species. We report greenhouse studies in which 12Prosopis species representing African and North and South American germplasm (1) became nodulated when inoculated with rhizobia strain isolated from a North American mesquite, (2) grew on a nitrogen free nutrient media, (3) reduced acetylene to ethylene, and (4) had a positive significant correlation between the acetylene reduction rates and above ground dry matter. The capability of mesquite to fix nitrogen must now be considered firmly established.
- Alessi, J., Power, J. F. (1976) Water use by dryland corn as affected by maturity class and plant spacing. Agron. J. 68: pp. 547-550
- Bailey, A. W. (1976) Nitrogen fixation in honey mesquite seedlings. J. Range Manage. 29: pp. 479-481
- Balandreau, J., Dommergues, Y. (1973) Assaying nitrogenase (C2H2) activity in the field. Bull. Ecol. Res. Comm. Stockholm 17: pp. 247-254
- Basak, M. K., Goyal, S. K. (1975) Studies on tree legumes: Nodulation pattern and characterization of the symbiont. Ann. Arid Zone 14: pp. 367-370
- Burkart, A. (1976) A monograph of the genusProsopis (Leguminosae subfamMimosoideae). J. Arnold Arbo. Harv. Univ. 57: pp. 217-240
- Charreau, C., Vidal, P. (1965) Influence de l'Acacia albida sur le sol, nutrition minerale et rendements des milsPennisetum au Senegal. L'Agron. Trop. 20: pp. 600-626
- Corby, H. D. L. 1971 The shape of leguminous nodules and the colour of leguminous roots. Plant and Soil Spec. Vol. 305–314.
- Dancette, C., Poulain, J. F. (1969) Influence ofAcacia albida on pedoclimatic factors and crop yields. Afr. Soils 14: pp. 143-184
- Eskew, D. L., Ting, I. P. (1978) Nitrogen fixation by legumes and blue-green algal-lichen crusts in a Colorado desert environment. Am. J. Bot. 65: pp. 850-856
- Fischer, R. A., Turner, N. C. (1978) Plant productivity in the arid and semi-arid zones. Ann. Rev. Plant Physiol. 39: pp. 277-317 CrossRef
- Gillier, P. (1960) La reconstitution et le maintien de la fertilite des sols du Senegal et le probleme des jacheres. Oleagineux 15: pp. 637-704
- Griffith, A. L. (1961) Acacia andProsopis in the dry forests of the tropics. FAO, Rome
- Gupta, R. K. and Balera, S. G. 1972 Comparative studies on the germination, growth, and seedling biomass of two exotics in the Rajasthan desert. Indian For. 280–285.
- Huss-Daniel, K. (1978) Nitrogenase activity measurements in intact plants ofAlnus incana. Physiol. Plant. 43: pp. 372-376
- Mahon, J. D. (1977) Respiration and the energy requirement for nitrogen fixation in nodulated pea roots. Plant. Physiol. 60: pp. 817-821
- Meinzer, O. E. 1927 Plants as indicators of ground water. pp. 43–54. Water supply paper 577, U.S. Geol. Surv. Washington, D.C.
- Minchin, F. R., Huxley, P. A., Summerfield, R. J. (1976) Effect of root temperature on growth and seed yield in Cowpea (Vigna unguiculata). Exp. Agric. 12: pp. 279-288
- Parker, K. W. and Martin, S. G. 1952 The mesquite problem on the southern Arizona range. USDA Circ.968, 70 pages.
- Paul, E. A., Meyers, R. J. K. and Rice, W. A. 1971 Nitrogen fixation in grassland and associated cultivated ecosystems. Plant and Soil Spec. Vol. 495–507.
- Phillips, W. S. (1963) Depth of roots in Soil. Ecol. 44: pp. 424-424
- Summerfield, R. J., Huxley, P. A., Minchin, F. R. (1977) Plant husbandry and management techniques for growing grain legumes under simulated tropical conditions in controlled environments. Exp. Agric. 13: pp. 81-92
- Thibodeau, P. S., Jaworski, E. G. (1975) Patterns of nitrogen utilization in the soybean. Planta Berlin 127: pp. 133-147
- Tiedemann, A. R., Klemmedson, J. O. (1973) Nutrient availability in desert grassland soils under mesquite (Prosopis juliflora) trees and adjacent open areas. Soil. Sci. Am. Proc. 37: pp. 107-111
- Nitrogen fixation (acetylene reduction) and cross inoculation in 12 Prosopis (mesquite) species
Plant and Soil
Volume 57, Issue 2-3 , pp 177-186
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Drought-adapted legumes
- Leguminous trees
- Rangeland improvement
- Semi-arid soils
- Industry Sectors