Antibodies to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) in autoimmune diseases: Primary Sjögren's syndrome, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune thyroid diseases
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The aetiology of autoimmune diseases remains unknown. The relationship between virus, and more recently retrovirus, has been suggested with this group of diseases. Immunoblotting is a useful method for determining the presence of proteins coded by different retrovirus genes. Since the prevalence of these types of proteins in patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome (SS), systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE), rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and autoimmune thyroid diseases has not been fully established, the aim of this work was to determine the prevalence of antibodies to immunodeficiency human virus type 1 (HIV-1) proteins in these diseases and their possible relationship with the presence of anti-nuclear, anti-DNA, anti-SSA (Ro) and anti-SSB (La) autoantibodies. Antibodies to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) were studied in a group of 341 patients with autoimmune diseases (77 SS, 98 SLE, 75 RA, 91 autoimmune thyroid diseases) and 126 blood donors as a control group. A Western blot was used to detect antibodies to HIV-1, and a double polymerase chain reaction (PCR) using nested primers in the gag and pol gene of HIV-1. Antinuclear antibodies, anti-DNA, anti-SSA (Ro) and anti-SSB (La) were determined by enzyme-linked immunosorbent assays.
At least one band was shown on immunoblotting in 26% of patients with autoimmune diseases and 35% of controls. The presence of antibodies to p55 or p68 proteins in patients with SS or SLE proved to be the only statistically significant difference between the other autoimmune diseases studied and the control group. These antibodies were not associated with autoantibodies, ANA, DNA, SSA (Ro) or SSB (La). Initially, PCR assay was performed to rule out the presence of HIV-1 virus; results were always negative, as expected. Our results suggest that the presence of p55 and p68 in Western blot for HIV-1 helps differentiate patients with SS or SLE, from those with RA or autoimmune thyroid disease and from a control group.
- Pincus, T. Studies regarding a possible function for viruses in the pathogenesis of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 1982, 25, 847–856.
- Krieg, A.M., Steinberg, A.D. Retroviruses and autoimmunity. J Autoimmun 1990, 3, 137–166.
- Flescher, E., Talal, N. Do viruses contribute to the development of Sjögren's syndrome? Am J Med 1991, 90, 283–284.
- Tan, E.M. Autoantibodies to nuclear antigens (ANA): their immunology and medicine. Adv Immunol 1983, 33, 167–240.
- East, J., Prosser, P.R., Holborow, E.J., Jaquet, H. Autoimmune reactions and virus-like particles in germ-free NZB mice. Lancet 1967, i, 755–757.
- Yoshiki, T., Mellors, R.C., Strand, M., August, J.T. The viral envelope glycoprotein of murine leukemia virus and the pathogenesis of immune complex glomerulonephritis of New Zealand mice. J Exp Med 1974, 140, 1011–1027.
- Green, J.E., Hinrichts, S.H., Vogel, J., Jay, G. Exocrinopathy resembling Sjögren's syndrome in HTLV-1 tax transgenic mice. Nature 1989, 341, 72–74.
- Roucheton, M., Graafland, H., Fanton, H., Ursule, L., Ferrier, P., Larseu, C.J. Presence of circulating antibodies against gag-gene MuLv proteins in patients with autoimmune connective tissue disorders. Virology 1985, 144, 468–480.
- Query, C.C., Keene, J.D. A human autoimmune protein associated with U1 RNA contains a region of homology that is crossreactive with retroviral p30 gag antigen. Cell 1987, 51, 211–220.
- Talal, N., Dauphinée, M.J., Dang, H., Alexander, S.S., Hart, D.J., Garry, R.F. Detection of serum antibodies to retroviral proteins in patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome (autoimmune exocrinopathy). Arthritis Rheum 1990, 33, 774–781.
- Talal, N., Garry, R.F., Shur, P.H., et al. A conserved idiotype and antibodies to retroviral proteins in systemic lupus erythematosus. J Clin Invest 1990, 85, 1866–1871.
- Ciampolillo A., Mirakiao, R., Shulz, T., et al. Retrovirus-like sequences in Graves' disease: implications for human autoimmunity. Lancet 1989, i, 1096–1100.
- Tan, E.M., Cohen, A.S., Fries, J.F., et al. The 1982 revised criteria for the classification of systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 1982, 25, 1271–1277.
- Arnet, F.C., Edworthy, S.M., Bloch, D.A. et al. The American Rheumatism Association 1987 revised criteria for the classification of rheumatoid arthritis. Arthritis Rheum 1988, 31, 315–324.
- De Groot, L.J., Larsen, P.E., Refetoff, S., Stanbury, J.B. In: The Thyroid and Its Diseases. John Wiley & Sons, New York. 1984, 399–609.
- Coll, J., Porta, M., Rubiés-Prat, J., Gutierrez-Cebollada, J., Tomás, S. Sjögren's syndrome: a stepwise approach to the use of diagnostic tests. Ann Rheum Dis 1992, 51, 607–610.
- Towbin, H., Stachelin, T., Gordon, J. Electrophoretic transfer of proteins from polyacrylamide gels to nitrocellulose sheets: procedure and some applications. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 1979, 76, 4350–4354.
- Higuchi, R. Simple and rapid preparation of samples for PCR. In: PCR Technology, Ed.: H.A. Erlich. Stockton Press, New York, 1989.
- Simmonds, P., Balfe, P., Pentherer, J.F., Ludlam, C.A., Bishop, J.O., Leigh-Brown, A.J. Human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals contain provirus in small numbers of peripheral mononuclear cells and low copy numbers. J Virol 1990, 64, 864–872.
- Everitt, B.S. The analysis of contingency tables. London. Chapman and Hall 1977.
- Bartels, P.H. Concepts in multivariate data analysis. In: Environmental Pathology. An Evolving Field. Eds.: Hill, R.B. and Terzian, J.A. Alan Riss, 1982, 321–341.
- Genesca, J., Jett, B.W., Epstein, J.S., Shih, J.W., Hewlett, I.K., Alter, H.J. What do Western Blot indeterminate patterns for human immunodeficiency virus mean in EIA-negative blood donors? Lancet. 1989, ii, 1023–25.
- Problems created by heat-inactivation of serum specimens before HIV-1 antibody testing. MMWR 1989, 38, 407–413.
- Detection of antibodies to HIV (Biotech/Dupont HIV Western blot kit insert). Wilmington, Del.: Dupont Company, 1987.
- Jackson, J.B., MacDonald, K.L., Cadwell, J. et al. Absence of HIV infection in blood donors with indeterminate Western blot test for antibody to HIV-1. N Engl J Med 1990, 322, 217–222.
- Garry, R.F., Fermin, C.D., Hart, D.J., Alexander, S.S., Donehower, L.A., Luo-Zhang, H. Detection of human intracisternal A-type retroviral particle antigenically related to HIV. Science 1990, 250, 1127–1129.
- Coudere, L.J., D'Agay, M.F., Danon, F., Harzic, M., Brocheniou, C., Cauvel, J.P. Sicca complex and infection with human immunodeficiency virus. Arch Intern Med 1987, 147, 898901.
- Ulirsch, R.C., Jaffee, E.S. Sjögren's syndrome-like illness associated with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome-related complex. Human Pathol 1987, 18, 1063–1068.
- De Clerck, L.S., Couttenye, M.M., De Broe, M.E., Stevens, W.J. Acquired immunodeficiency syndrome mimicking Sjögren's syndrome and systemic lupus erythematosus. Arthritis Rheum 1988, 31, 272–275.
- Coll, J., Tomás, S., Corominas, J., Gutiérrez, J. Sicca syndrome associated with human immunodeficiency virus infection: an immununohistochemical study. Arthritis Rheum 1993, 36, 875–876.
- Itescu, S., Brancato, L.J., Winchester, R. A sicca syndrome in HIV infection: association with HLA-DR5 and CD8 lymphocytosis. Lancet 1989, ii, 466–468.
- Itescu, S., Brancato, L.J., Buxbaum, J. et al. A diffuse infiltrative CD8 lymphocytosis syndrome in human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection: a host immune response associated with HLA-DR5. Ann Intern Med 1990, 112, 3–10.
- Norman, G.L., Barker, S.S., Rasheed, S. Immunoblot reactivity of a non-HIV protein with human sera. J Clin Lab Anal 1989, 3, 148–151.
- Humphrey, M., Mosca, J., Baker, J.R. et al. Absence of retroviral sequences in Graves' disease. Lancet 1991, i, 1718.
- Youinou, P., Garré, M., Mottier, D., Lamour, A., Dueymes, M. Autoimmunité et SIDA. Ann Med Interne 1993, 144, 43–44.
- Friedman, S.M., Posnett, D.N., Tumang, J.R., Cole, B.C., Crow, M.K. A potential role for microbial superantigens in the pathogenesis of systemic autoimmune disease. Arthritis Rheum 1991, 34, 468–480.
- Papadopoulos, G.K., Moutsopoulos, H.M. Slow viruses and immune system in the pathogenesis of focal tissue damage in Sjögren's syndrome. Ann Rheum Dis 1992, 51, 136–138.
- Venables, P., Brookes, S. Retroviruses: potential aetiological agents in autoimmune rheumatic disease. Br J Rheumatol 1992, 31, 841–846.
- Brookes, S.M., Pandolfino, Y.A., Mitchell, T.J., Venables, P.J.W., Shattles, W.G., Clark, D.A., Entwistle, A., Maini, R.N. The immune response to and expression of cross-reactive retroviral gag sequences in autoimmune disease. Br J Rheumatol 1993, 31, 735–742.
- Antibodies to human immunodeficiency virus (HIV-1) in autoimmune diseases: Primary Sjögren's syndrome, systemic lupus erythematosus, rheumatoid arthritis and autoimmune thyroid diseases
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 451-457
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Autoimmune Diseases
- Sjögren's syndrome
- Industry Sectors
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Medicine, Hospital del Mar, Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona, Paseo Maritimo 25-29, 08003, Barcelona, Spain
- 2. Immunology Laboratory, Reference Laboratory of Catalonia, Barcelona, Spain
- 3. Service of Rheumatology, Hospital del Mar, Barcelona, Spain
- 4. Department of Connective Tissue Diseases, Institute of Rheumatology, Warsaw, Foland
- 5. Instituto Municipal de Investigación Médica, Barcelona, Spain
- 6. Service of Endocrinology, Hospital Mutua de Terrassa, Terrassa, Spain
- 7. Department of Medicine. Hospital Clínico, Universidad de Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain