The role of case management within a community support system: Partnership with psychosocial rehabilitation
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
The Strengths model of team case management was assessed relative to an existing high quality psychosocial rehabilitation program that informally provided many services typical of case management (e.g., service linkage, monitoring, and consumer advocacy). The experimental evaluation triangulated consumer and family member responses with mental health professional reports and consumer records of hospitalization and crisis center contacts. An analysis of data from these four sources revealed that one year after full program implementation, consumers who received case management in conjunction with psychosocial rehabilitation functioned at a higher level of competency and experienced significantly lower psychiatric symptomatology than consumers who received only psychosocial rehabilitation. Implications for the successful integration of case management into an existing community support program are discussed.
- Bigelow, D.A. & Young, D.J. (1991). Effectiveness of a case management program.Community Mental Health Journal, 27(2), 115–123.
- Bond, G.R., Miller, C.D., Krumwied, R.D., & Ward, R.S. (1988). Assertive case management in three CMHCs: A controlled study.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 39(4), 411–418.
- Bond, G.R., Witheridge, T.F., Dincin, J., Wasmer, D., Webb, J., & De Graaf-Kaser, R. (1990). Assertive community treatment for frequent users of psychiatric hospitals in a large city: A controlled study.American Journal of Community Psychology, 18, 865–891.
- Bond, G.R., Pensec, M., Dietzen, L., McCafferty, D., Giemza, R., & Sipple, H.W. (1991). Intensive case management for frequent users of psychiatric hospitals in a large city: A comparison of team and individual caseloads.Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 15(1), 90–98.
- Bush, C., Langford, M.W., Rosen, P., & Gott, W. (1990). Operation outreach: Intensive case management for severely psychiatrically disabled adults.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 40, 647–649.
- Carter, C., Heugly, B., Jackson, R., Kirkman, D., Macias, C., & Saderholm, Z. (1990).The Utah Case Management Consumer Assessment Record (Utah CCAR).
- Chamberlain, R., & Rapp, C.A. (1991). A decade of case management: A methodological review of outcome research.Community Mental Health Journal, 27(3), 171–188.
- Cutler, D.L., Tatum, E., & Shore, J. (1987). A comparison of schizophrenic patients in different community support treatment approaches.Community Mental Health Journal, 23(2), 103–112.
- Dupuy, H.J. (1984). The Psychological General Well-Being (PGWB) Index. In N.K. Wenger, M.E. Mattson, C.D. Furberg, & J. Elinson (Eds.),Assessment of quality of life. Le Jacq Publishers.
- Ellis, R.H., Wilson, N.Z., & Foster, F.M. (1984). Statewide Treatment Outcome Assessment in Colorado: The Colorado Client Assessment Record (CCAR).Community Mental Health Journal, 20, 72–89.
- Franklin, J.L., Solovitz, B., Mason, M., Clemons, J.R., & Miller, G.E. (1987). An Evaluation of Case Management.American Journal of Public Health, 77, 674–678.
- Goering, P.N., Farkas, M., Wasylenki, D.A., Lancee, W.J. & Ballantyne, R. (1988a). Improved functioning for case management clients.Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 12, 3–17.
- Goering, P.N., Wasylenki, D.A., Farkas, M., Lancee, W.J. & Ballantyne, R. (1988b). What Difference Does Case Management Make?Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 39, 272–276.
- Macias, C., & Jackson, R. (1990).The Self-Report Inventory An Interview Schedule for Adults with Serious Mental Illness.
- Macias, C., & Kinney, R. (1990).The Brief Psychological Well-Being Scale.
- Macias, C., Kinney, R., & Vos, B. (1991).The Utah Family Burden Scale.
- Marx, A.J., Test, M.A., & Stein, L.I. (1974). Extrohospital management of severe mental illness.Archives of General Psychiatry, 29, 505–511.
- Modrcin, M., Rapp, C.A., & Poertner, J. (1988). The evaluation of case management services with the chronically mentally ill.Evaluation and Program Planning, 11, 307–314.
- Moos, R.H., Cronkite, R.C., & Finney, J.W. (1984).Health and Daily Living Form: Palo Alto, CA: Department of Veterans Affairs and Stanford University Medical Centers.
- Morse, G., Muether, R., Harmann, L., Calsyn, R., & Dannelet, M. (1988). Community services for the homeless: Preliminary experimental results. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Psychiatric Association, Montreal, Canada.
- Mowbray, C.T. (1990). Community treatment for the seriously mentally ill: Is this community psychology?American Journal of Community Psychology, 18(6), 893–902.
- Olfson, M. (1990). Assertive community treatment: An evaluation of the experimental evidence.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 41(6), 634–641.
- Platt, S. (1985). Measuring the burden of psychiatric illness on the family: An evaluation of some rating scales.Psychological Medicine, 15, 383–393.
- Potasznik, H., & Nelson, G. (1984). Stress and social support: The burden experienced by the family of a mentally ill person.American Journal of Community Psychology, 12(5), 589–607.
- Rapp, C.A., & Wintersteen, R. (1989). The Strengths model of case management: Results from twelve demonstrations.Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 13(1), 23–32.
- Solomon, P. (1992). The efficacy of case management services for severely mentally disabled clients.Community Mental Health Journal, 28(3), 163–180.
- Stein, L., & Test, M.A. (1980). Alternative to mental hospital treatment. I. Conceptual model, treatment program, and clinical intervention.Archives of General Psychiatry, 37, 392–397.
- Sullivan, W.P. (1992). Reclaiming the community: The Strengths perspective and deinstitutionalization.Social Work, 37(3), 204–209.
- Test, M.A. (1992). Training in community living. In R.P. Liberman (Ed.),Handbook of psychiatric rehabilitation, New York: Macmillan.
- Waylenski, D.A., Goering, P.N., Lancee, W.J., Ballantyne, R., & Farkas, M. (1985). Impact of a case manager program on psychiatric aftercare.Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 173, 303–308.
- Weick, A., Rapp, C., Sullivan, W.P. & Kisthardt, W. (1989). A Strengths perspective for social work practice.Social Work, 34(4), 350–354.
- The role of case management within a community support system: Partnership with psychosocial rehabilitation
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 30, Issue 4 , pp 323-339
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Social Research Institute, Graduate School of Social Work, University of Utah, 84112, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA
- 2. Department of Social Work, Colorado State University, Colorado, USA