Changes in cognitive and Language functioning of Preschool children with autism
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
Preschool children with autism and their normally developing peers were compared on the Stanford-Binet IV and Preschool Language Scale before and after 1 school year. Both measures showed that although the children with autism functioned at a lower level than their normally developing peers, the children with autism had narrowed this gap after treatment, making a nearly 19-point increase in IQ and an 8-point gain in language quotient. The IQ measure remained stable for the normally developing peers while their language showed a 7.73-point increase. The data support the notion that young children with autism can make very significant developmental gains.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1980).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed.). Washington DC: Author.
- American Psychiatric Association. (1987).Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (3rd ed., rev.). Washington DC: Author.
- DeMyer, M. K., Barton, S., DeMyer, W. E., Norton, J. A., Allen, J., & Steele, R. (1973). Prognosis in autism: A follow-up study.Journal of Autism and Childhood Schizophrenia, 3, 199–246.
- Freeman, B. J., Ritvo, E. R., Needleman, R., & Yokota, A. (1985). The stability of cognitive and linguistic parameters in autism: A five-year prospective study.Journal of the American Academy of Child Psychiatry, 24, 459–464.
- Handleman, J. S., Harris, S. L., Kristoff, B., Fuentes, F., & Alessandri, M. (1991). A specialized program for preschool children with autism.Language, Speech and Hearing Services in Schools, 22, 1–5.
- Harris, S. L., Handleman, J. S., & Burton, J. B. (1990). The Stanford Binet profiles of young children with autism.Special Services in the School, 6, 135–143.
- Harris, S. L., Handleman, J. S., Kristoff, B., Bass, L., & Gordon, R. (1990). Changes in language development among autistic and peer children in segregated and integrated preschool settings.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 20, 23–31.
- Lord, C., & Schopler, E. (1988). Intellectual and developmental assessment of autistic children from preschool to schoolage: Clinical implications of two follow-studies. In E. Schopler & G. B. Mesibov (Eds.),Diagnosis and assessment in autism (pp. 167–181). New York: Plenum Press.
- Lord, C., & Schopler, E. (1989). The role of age at assessment, developmental level, and test in the stability of intelligence scores in young autistic children.Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, 19, 483–499.
- Lovaas, O. I. (1987). Behavioral treatment and normal educational and intellectual functioning in young autistic children.Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 55, 3–9.
- Odom, S. L., Hoyson, M., Jamieson, B., & Strain, P. S. (1985). Increasing handicapped preschoolers' peer social interactions: Cross-setting and component analysis.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 18, 3–16.
- Odom, S. L., & Strain, P. S. (1986). A comparison of peer-initiation and teacher antecedent interventions for promoting reciprocal peer social interactions of autistic preschoolers.Journal of Applied Behavior Analysis, 19, 59–71.
- Schopler, E., Reichler, R. J., DeVellis, R. F., & Daly, K. (1988).The Childhood Autism Rating Scale (CARS). Los Angeles: Western Psychological Services.
- Strain, P. S., Hoyson, M., & Jamieson, B. (1985). Normally developing preschoolers as intervention agents for autistic-like children: Effects on class deportment and social interaction.Journal of the Division of Early Childhood, 9, 105–115.
- Thorndike, R. L., Hagen, E. R., & Sattler, J. M. (1986).The Stanford-Binet Intelligence Scale (4th ed.). Chicago IL: Riverside.
- Zimmerman, I. L., Steiner, V. G., & Pond, R. E. (1979).Preschool Language Scale. Columbus OH: Charles Merrill.
- Changes in cognitive and Language functioning of Preschool children with autism
Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders
Volume 21, Issue 3 , pp 281-290
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors