Clinical differences between ANA/anti-ENA positive or negative primary Sjögren's syndrome
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Fifty female patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome diagnosed according to the Copenhagen criteria were evaluated for both glandular and extraglandular involvement. They were divided into two groups based on the presence or absence of antinuclear and anti-ENA antibodies (ANA/anti-ENA). ANA/anti-ENA negative patients presented with milder and later glandular and extraglandular disease and required less frequent corticosteroid treatment. No significant differences were noted in extraglandular manifestations with the exception of leukopenia which was noted only in ANA/anti-ENA positive cases.
- Alexander, E.L., Arnett, F.C., Provost, T.T., Stevens, M.B. Sjögren's syndrome: Association of anti-Ro (SS-A) antibodies with vasculitis, hematologic abnormalities, and serologic hyperre-activity. Ann Intern Med 1983, 98, 155–159.
- Hansen, B., Manthorpe, R. Antibodies against SS-B/La and SS-A/Ro antigens in patients with primary Sjögren's syndrome. Scand J Rheumatol 1986, Suppl. 61, 93–97.
- Harley, J.B., Alexander, E.L., Bias, W.B., Fox, O.F., Provost, T.T., Reichlin, M., Yamagata, H., Arnett, F.C. Anti-Ro (SS-A) and anti-La (SS-B) in patients with Sjögren's syndrome. Arthritis Rheum 1986, 29, 196–206.
- Manoussakis, M.N., Tzioufas, A.G., Pange, P.J.E., Moutsopoulos, H.M. Serological profiles in subgroups of patients with Sjögren's syndrome.
- Venables, P.J.W., Shattles, W., Pease, C.T., Ellis, J.E., Charles, P.J., Maini, R.N., Anti-La (SS-B): a diagnostic criterion for Sjögren's syndrome? Clin Exp Rheumatol 1989, 7, 181–184.
- Arnett, F.C., Hamilton, R.G., Reveille, J.D., Bias, W.B., Harley, J.B., Reichlin, M. Genetic studies of Ro (SS-A) and La (SS-B) autoantibodies in families with systemic lupus erythematosus and primary Sjögren's syndrome. Arthritis Rheum 1989, 32, 413–419.
- McCauliffe, D.P., Lux, F.A., Lieu, T.S., Sanz, I., Hanke, J., Newkirk, M.M., Siciliano, M.M., Sontheimer, R.D., Capra, J.D. Ro SS-A and the pathogenic significance of its antibodies. J Autoimmun 1989, 2, 375–382.
- St. Clair, E.W., Burch, J.A., Ward, M.M., Keene, J.D., Pisetsky, D.S. Temporal correlation of antibody responses to different epitopes of the human La autoantigen. J Clin Invest 1990, 85, 515–521.
- Harmon, C.E., Deng, J.S., Peebles, C.L., Tan, E.M. The importance of tissue substrate in the SS-A/Ro antigen-antibody system. Arthritis Rheum 1984, 27, 166–173.
- Miller, M.H., Littlejohn, G.O., Jones, B.W., Strnad, H. Clinical comparison of cultured human epithelial cells and rat liver as substrates for the fluorescent antinuclear antibody test. J Rheumatol 1985, 12, 265–269.
- Manthorpe, R., Oxholm, P., Prause, J.M., Schiodt, M. The Copenhagen criteria for Sjögren's syndrome. Scand J Rheumatol 1986, Suppl. 61, 19–21.
- Fossaluzza, V., De Vita, S., Geatti, O. Sequential salivary scintigraphy in Sjögren's syndrome: proposal for a new method of evaluation. Clin Exp Rheum 1990, 8, 469–474.
- Skopouli, F.N., Andonopoulos, A.P., Moutsopoulos, H.M. Clinical implications of the presence of anti-Ro (SSA) antibodies in patients with rheumatoid arthritis. J Autoimmun 1988, 3, 381–388.
- Yamagata, H., Akizuki, M., Tojo, T., Homma, M. Anti-Ro/SSA and-La/SSB antibodies in patients with connective tissue diseases. Scand J Rheumatol 1986, Suppl. 61, 98–101.
- Oxholm, P., Manthorpe, P., Prause, J.V. Polyclonal B-cell activation is related to exocrine manifestations of primary Sjögren's syndrome. J Autoimmun 1989, 2, 515–520.
- Clinical differences between ANA/anti-ENA positive or negative primary Sjögren's syndrome
Volume 11, Issue 3 , pp 385-387
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Additional Links
- Sjögren's Syndrome
- Antinuclear Antibodies
- Industry Sectors