Towards a phenomenology of ethical expertise
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
This paper was presented as the Aron Gurwitsch Memorial Lecture, sponsored by the Center for Advanced Research in Phenomenology, at Duquesne University, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, October 1989. We would like to thank Drew Cross, David Greenbaum, Wayne Martin, Charles Spinosa, Charles Taylor and Kailey Vernallis for their helpful comments.
- Aristotle (1980).The Nicomachean ethics, Book II, 4. Ross translation. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Dewey, J. (1922).Human nature and conduct: An introduction to social psychology. London: Allen and Unwin.
- Dewey, J. (1960).Theory of the moral life. New York, NY: Holt, Rinehart and Winston.
- Dreyfus, H. and Dreyfus, S. (1988). Making a mind vs. modeling the brain: AI back at a branchpoint. InThe artificial intelligence debate, 15–43. Cambridge: M.I.T. Press.
- Gilligan, C. (1982).In a different voice: Psychological theory and women's development. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Gilligan, C. (1986). OnIn a different voice: An interdisciplinary forum.Signs: Journal of Women in Culture and Society 11(2).
- Gurwitsch, A. (1979).Human encounters in the social world. Pittsburgh: Duquesne University Press.
- Habermas, J. (1982). A reply to my critics. In J.B. Thompson and D. Held (Eds.)Habermas critical debates, 219–283. Cambridge: M.I.T. Press.
- Habermas, J. (forthcoming).Moral consciousness and communicative action. Cambridge: MIT Press.
- Heidegger, M. (1962).Being and time. New York, NY: Harper and Row.
- Heidegger, M. (1982).The basic problems of phenomenology. Bloomington: Indiana University Press.
- Husserl, E. (1988).Vorlesungen über Ethik und Wertlehre (1908–1914), Vol. 28. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Kohlberg, L. (1981).The philosophy of moral development: Moral stages and the idea of justice. New York: Harper & Row.
- Levine, L.D. (1988).Bird: The making of an American sports legend. New York, NY: McGraw Hill.
- MacInryre, A. (1981).After virtue. Notre Dame: University of Notre Dame Press.
- Mandelbaum, M. (1955).The Phenomenology of moral experience. New York, NY: The Free Press.
- Perry, W.B. (1968).Forms of intellectual and ethical development in the college years: a scheme. (New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston) as quoted in J.M. Murphy and C. Gilligan (1980). “Moral development in late adolescence and adulthood: A critique and reconstruction of Kohlberg's theory”.Human Development.
- Piaget, J. (1935).The moral judgment of the child. Glencoe, IL: The Free Press.
- Taylor, C. (1989).The sources of the self. Cambridge: Harvard University Press.
- Towards a phenomenology of ethical expertise
Volume 14, Issue 4 , pp 229-250
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Industry Sectors