Root contribution to nitrate reduction in barley seedlings (Hordeum vulgare L.)
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
The leaf and root nitrate reductase activities were measured in 7 day-old barley seedlings by anoxic nitrite accumulation in darkness, during 48h after the transfer from a N-starved medium to a 1.5 mM K15NO3 medium. Thisin situ nitrate reduction was compared with the15N incorporation in the reduced N fraction of the whole seedlings.
The nitrate reduction integrated fromin situ measurements was lower than the reduced15N accumulation. The rootin situ nitrate reductase activity seemed to account for only the third of the real root nitrate reduction, which may have been responsible for the overall underestimation. This discrepancy was partly explained by the ability of the root to reduce nitrite in an anoxic environment.
These results suggest that, after correction of thein situ estimation of the nitrate reduction. the roots contribute to about 50% of the total assimilation.
- Ashley D A, Jackson W A and Volk R J 1975 Plant Physiol. 55, 1102–1106.
- Beevers L and Hageman R H 1980In the Biochemistry of Plants, Vol. 5. Eds. P K Stumpf and E E Conn, Academic Press, New York, pp 115–168.
- Breteler H and Hanisch Ten Cate C H 1980 Physiol. Plant 48, 292–296.
- Dry I, Wallace W and Nicholas D J D 1981 Planta 152, 234–238.
- Gray V M and Cresswell C F 1983 Z. Pflanzenphysiol. 112, 207–214.
- Gray V M and Cresswell C F 1984 Plant Sci. Lett. 33, 31–38.
- Martin F, Chemardin M and Gadal P 1981 Physiol. Vég. 19, 513–521.
- Pace G, Mac Kown C T and Jackson W A 1982 Plant Physiol. 69, 32–36.
- Robin P, Conejero G, Tranchant J P, Passama L and Salsac L 1983 Physiol. Vég. 21, 123–128.
- Talouizte A, Guiraud G, Moyse A, Marol C and Champigny M L 1984 J. Plant Physiol. 116, 117–122.
- Root contribution to nitrate reduction in barley seedlings (Hordeum vulgare L.)
Plant and Soil
Volume 91, Issue 3 , pp 339-342
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Martinus Nijhoff, The Hague/Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Hondeum Vulgare L.
- Nitrate Nitrate reductase
- 15Nitrogen Root
- Industry Sectors