Sampling and efficiency of metric matrix distance geometry: A novel partial metrization algorithm
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we present a reassessment of the sampling properties of the metric matrix distance geometry algorithm, which is in wide-spread use in the determination of three-dimensional structures from nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) data. To this end, we compare the conformational space sampled by structures generated with a variety of metric matrix distance geometry protocols. As test systems we use an unconstrained polypeptide, and a small protein (rabbit neutrophil defensin peptide 5) for which only few tertiary distances had been derived from the NMR data, allowing several possible folds of the polypeptide chain. A process called ‘metrization’ in the preparation of a trial distance matrix has a very large effect on the sampling properties of the algorithm. It is shown that, depending on the metrization protocol used, metric matrix distance geometry can have very good sampling properties'indeed, both for the unconstrained model system and the NMR-structure case. We show that the sampling properties are to a great degree determined by the way in which the first few distances are chosen within their bounds. Further, we present a new protocol (‘partial metrization’) that is computationally more efficient but has the same excellent sampling properties. This novel protocol has been implemented in an expanded new release of the program X-PLOR with distance geometry capabilities.
- Billeter, M., Havel, T.F. and Wüthrich, K. (1986)J. Comput. Client.,8, 132–141. Braun, W. and Go, N. (1985) J. Mol. Biol., 186,611-626.
- Brooks, B.R., Bruccoleri, R.E., Olafson, B.D., States, D.J., Swaminathan, S. and Karplus, M. (1983)J. Comp. Chem.,4, 187–217.
- Brünger, A.T. (1991) InTopics in Molecular Biology (Ed., Goodfellow, J.M.) Macmillan Press Ltd., London, pp. 137–178.
- Brünger, A.T. and Karplus, M. (1991)Acc. of Chem. Res.,24, 54–61.
- Brünger, A.T., Clore, G.M., Gronenborn, A. M. and Karplus, M. (1987)Protein Eng.,1, 399–406.
- Brünger, A.T. (1990) X-PLOR software manual version 2.1., New Haven, Yale University.
- Clore, G.M. and Gronenborn, A.M. (1991)Science,252, 1390–1399.
- Crippen, G.M. and Havel, T.F. (1988)Distance Geometry and Molecular Conformation, Research Studies Press, Taunton, Somerset, England.
- Dial, R., Glover, F., Karney, D. and Klingman, D. (1979)Networks,9, 215–248.
- Dijkstra, E. W. (1959)Numer. Math.,1, 269–271.
- Dress, A.W.M. and Havel, T.F. (1988)Discrete Appl. Math.,19, 129–144.
- Driscoll, J. R., Gabow, H.N., Shrairman, R. and Tarjan, R. E. (1988)Comm. of the ACM,31, 1343–1354.
- Easthope, P.L. and Havel, T.F. (1989)Bull. Math. Bio.,51, 173–194.
- Ernst, R.R., Bodenhausen, G. and Wokaun, A. (1986)Principles of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance in One and Two Dimensions, Clarendon Press, Oxford.
- Hadwiger, M.A. and Fox, G.E. (1989)J. Biomol. Struct. Dyn.,7, 749–771.
- Hare, D.R. and Reid, B.R. (1986)Biochemistry,25, 5341–5350.
- Havel, T.F., Kuntz, I.D. and Crippen, G.M. (1983)Bull. Math. Bio.,45, 665–720; (1985)errata in Bull. Math. Bio.,47, 157.
- Havel, T.F. and Wüthrich, K. (1984)Bull. Math. Bio.,46, 673–698.
- Havel, T.F. (1990)Biopolymers,29, 1565–1585.
- Hempel, J.C. and Brown, F.K. (1989)J. Am. Chem. Soc.,111, 7323–7327.
- Kuntz, I.D., Crippen, G.M. and Kollman, P.A. (1979)Biopolymers,18, 939–957.
- Levy, R.M., Bassolino, D.A., Kitchen, D.B. and Pardi, A. (1989)Biochemistry,28, 9361–9372.
- Metzler, W.J., Hare, D.R. and Pardi, A. (1989)Biochemistry,28, 7045–7052.
- Nilges, M., Clore, G.M. and Gronenborn, A.M. (1988)FEBS Lett.,229, 317–324.
- Nilges, M., Kuszewski, J. and Brünger, A.T. (1991) InComputational Aspects of the Study of Biological Macromolecules (Ed., Hoch, J.C.) Plenum Press, New York.
- Pardi, A., Hare, D.R., Selsted, M.E., Morrison, R.D., Bassolino, D.A. and Bach, A.C. (1988)J. Mol. Biol.,201, 625–636.
- Powell, M.J.D. (1977)Mathematical Programming,12, 241–254.
- Schlitter, J. (1987)J. Appl. Math. Physics (ZAMP),38, 1–9.
- Tarjan, R.E. (1983)Data Structures and Network Algorithms, Society for Industrial and Applied Mathematics, Philadelphia.
- Thomason, J.F. and Kuntz, I.D. (1989)J. Cell Biochem., Suppl. 13A, no. 37.
- Wüthrich, K., Billeter, M. and Braun, W. (1983)J. Mol. Biol.,169, 949–961.
- Wüthrich, K. (1986)NMR of Proteins and Nucleic Acids, Wiley, New York
- Sampling and efficiency of metric matrix distance geometry: A novel partial metrization algorithm
Journal of Biomolecular NMR
Volume 2, Issue 1 , pp 33-56
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers
- Additional Links
- Distance geometry
- Nuclear magnetic resonance
- Three-dimensional structure
- Simulated annealing
- Industry Sectors