Regularity for some scalar variational problems under general growth conditions
- P. Marcellini
- … show all 1 hide
Purchase on Springer.com
$39.95 / €34.95 / £29.95*
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.
We consider integrals of the calculus of variations over a set Ω of ℝ n , and the related regularity result: are the minimizers smooth functions, say for example of classC ∞(Ω)? Classically, the so-called natural growth conditions on the integrand have been the main sufficient assumptions for regularity. In recent years, motivated also by application, the interest in the study of this problem has increased under more general growth assumptions. In this paper, we propose some general growth conditions that guarantee regularity for a class of scalar variational problems.
Supplementary Material (0)
- Morrey, C. B.,Multiple Integrals in the Calculus of Variations, Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Germany, Vol. 130, 1966.
- Ball, J. M.,Convexity Conditions and Existence Theorems in Nonlinear Elasticity, Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, Vol. 63, pp. 337–403, 1977.
- Dacorogna, B.,Direct Methods in the Calculus of Variations, Applied Mathematical Sciences, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Germany, Vol. 78, 1989.
- Ladyzhenskaya, O., andUral'tseva, N.,Linear and Quasilinear Elliptic Equations, Mathematics in Science and Engineering, Academic Press, San Diego, California, Vol. 46, 1968.
- Giaquinta, M.,Multiple Integrals in the Calculus of Variations and Nonlinear Elliptic Systems, Annals of Mathematical Studies, Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, Vol. 105, 1983.
- Marcellini, P.,Regularity of Minimizers of Integrals of the Calculus of Variations with Nonstandard Growth Conditions, Archive for Rational Mechanics and Analysis, Vol. 105, pp. 267–284, 1989.
- Marcellini, P.,Regularity and Existence of Solutions of Elliptic Equations with (p,q)-Growth Conditions, Journal of Differential Equations, Vol. 90, pp. 1–30, 1991.
- Giaquinta, M.,Growth Conditions and Regularity: A Counterexample, Manuscripta Mathematica, Vol. 59, pp. 245–248, 1987.
- Marcellini, P.,Un Example de Solution Discontinue d'un Problème Variationnel dans le Cas Scalaire, Report 11, Istituto Matematico U. Dini, Università di Firenze, 1987.
- Boccardo, L., Marcellini, P., andSbordone, C.,L ∞-Regularity for Variational Problems with Sharp Nonstandard Growth Conditions, Bollettino della Unione Matematica Italiana, Vol. 4A, pp. 219–225, 1990.
- Marcellini, P.,Regularity for Elliptic Equations with General Growth Conditions, Journal of Differential Equations, Vol. 105, pp. 296–333, 1993.
- Lieberman, G. M.,Gradient Estimates for a Class of Elliptic Systems, Annali di Matematica Pura ed Applicata, Vol. 164, pp. 103–120, 1993.
- Marcellini, P.,Everywhere Regularity for a Class of Elliptic Systems without Growth Conditions, Annali della Scuola Normale Superiore di Pisa (to appear).
- Chipot, M., andEvans, L. C.,Linearization at Infinity and Lipschitz Estimates for Certain Problems in the Calculus of Variations, Proceedings of the Royal Society of Edinburgh, Vol. 102A, pp. 291–303, 1986.
- Di Benedetto, E.,C 1+α Local Regularity of Weak Solutions of Degenerate Elliptic Equations, Nonlinear Analysis: Theory, Methods and Applications, Vol. 7, pp. 827–850, 1983.
- Evans, L. C.,A New Proof of Local C 1,α Regularity for Solutions of Certain Degenerate Elliptic PDE, Journal of Differential Equations, Vol. 45, pp. 356–373, 1982.
- Lewis, J.,Regularity of Derivatives of Solutions to Certain Degenerate Elliptic Equations, Indiana University Mathematics Journal, Vol. 32, pp. 849–858, 1983.
- Manfredi, J. J.,Regularity for Minima of Functionals with p-Growth, Journal of Differential Equations, Vol. 76, pp. 203–212, 1988.
- Ivanov, A. V.,Quasilinear Degenerate and Nonuniformly Elliptic and Parabolic Equations of Second Order, Proceedings of the Steklov Institute of Mathematics, Moscow, Russia, Vol. 160, 1982; American Mathematical Society, Providence, Rhode Island, 1984.
- Ladyzhenskaya, O., andUral'tseva, N.,Local Estimates for Gradients of Solutions of Nonuniformly Elliptic and Parabolic Equations, Communications on Pure and Applied Mathematics, Vol. 23, pp. 677–703, 1970.
- Lieberman, G. M.,On the Regularity of the Minimizer of a Functional with Exponential Growth, Commentationes Mathematicae Universitatis Carolinae, Vol. 33, pp. 45–49, 1992.
- Serrin, J.,Gradient Estimates for Solutions of Nonlinear Elliptic and Parabolic Equations, Contributions to Nonlinear Functional Analysis, Edited by E. H. Zarantonello, Academic Press, San Diego, California, pp. 565–601, 1971.
- Simon, L.,Interior Gradients Bounds for Nonuniformly Elliptic Equations, Indiana University Mathematics Journal, Vol. 25, pp. 821–855, 1976.
- Bhattacharya, T., andLeonetti, F.,W 2,2 Regularity for Weak Solutions of Elliptic Systems with Nonstandard Growth, Journal of Mathematical Analysis and Applications, Vol. 176, pp. 224–234, 1993.
- Giusti, E.,Metodi Diretti nel Calcolo delle Variazioni, Unione Matematica Italiana, Bologna, Italia, 1994.
About this Article
- Regularity for some scalar variational problems under general growth conditions
Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications
Volume 90, Issue 1 , pp 161-181
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Calculus of variations
- direct methods
- non-standard growth conditions
- general growth conditions
- Industry Sectors
- P. Marcellini (1)
- Author Affiliations
- 1. Department of Mathematics U. Dini, University of Florence, Firenze, Italy