Generalized fractional programming and cutting plane algorithms
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
In this paper, we introduce a variant of a cutting plane algorithm and show that this algorithm reduces to the well-known Dinkelbach-type procedure of Crouzeix, Ferland, and Schaible if the optimization problem is a generalized fractional program. By this observation, an easy geometrical interpretation of one of the most important algorithms in generalized fractional programming is obtained. Moreover, it is shown that the convergence of the Dinkelbach-type procedure is a direct consequence of the properties of this cutting plane method. Finally, a class of generalized fractional programs is considered where the standard positivity assumption on the denominators of the ratios of the objective function has to be imposed explicitly. It is also shown that, when using a Dinkelbach-type approach for this class of programs, the constraints ensuring the positivity on the denominators can be dropped.
- Plastria, F.,Lower Subdifferentiable Functions and Their Minimization by Cutting Planes, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 46, pp. 37–53, 1985. CrossRef
- Crouzeix, J. P., Ferland, J. A., andSchaible, S. An Algorithm for Generalized Fractional Programs, Journal of Optimization Thoery and Applications, Vol. 47, pp. 35–49, 1985. CrossRef
- Plastria, F.,Continuous Location Problems and Cutting Plane Algorithms, PhD Thesis, Vrije Universiteit Brussel, 1983.
- Konnov, I. V.,An Application of the Conjugate Subgradient Method for Minimization of Quasiconvex Functions, Journal of Soviet Mathematics, Vol. 45, pp. 1019–1026, 1989. CrossRef
- Martínez-Legaz, J. E.,On Lower Subdifferentiable Functions, Trends in Mathematical Optimization, Edited by K. H. Hoffman, J. B. Hiriart-Urruty, C. Lemaréchal, and J. Zowe, Birkhäuser Verlag, Basel, Switzerland, Vol. 84, pp. 197–232, 1988.
- Plastria, F.,The Minimization of Lower Subdifferentiable Functions under Nonlinear Constraints: An All-Feasible Cutting Plane Algorithm, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 57, pp. 463–484, 1988.
- Frenk J. B. G., Gromicho, J., Plastria, F., andZhang, S.,A Deep-Cut Ellipsoid Algorithm and Quasiconvex Programming, Lecture Notes in Economics, Edited by S. Komlósi, T. Rapcsák, and S. Schaible, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Germany, Vol. 405, pp. 62–76, 1994.
- Boncompte, M., andMartínez-Legaz, J. E.,Fractional Programming by Lower Subdifferentiability Techniques, Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications, Vol. 68, pp. 95–116, 1991. CrossRef
- Rockafellar, R. T.,Convex Analysis Princeton University Press, Princeton, New Jersey, 1970.
- Dinkelbach, W.,On Nonlinear Fractional Programming, Management Science, Vol. 13, pp. 492–498, 1967.
- Crouzeix, J. P., andFerland, J. A.,Algorithms for Generalized Fractional Programming, Mathematical Programming, Vol. 52, pp. 191–207, 1991. CrossRef
- Sniedovich, M.,Fractional Programming Revisited, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol.33, pp. 334–341, 1988. CrossRef
- Plastria, F.,Testing Whether a Cutting Plane May Be Dropped, Revue Belge de Statistique, d'Informatique et de Recheerche Opérationnelle, Vol.22, pp. 11–21, 1982.
- Berman, O., Larson, R. C., andChiu, S. S.,Optimal Server Location on a Network Operating as an M/G/1 Queue, Operations Research, Vol. 33, pp. 746–752, 1985.
- Çinlar, E.,Introduction to Stochastic Processes, Prentice-Hall, Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey, 1975.
- Heyman, D. P., andSobel, M. J.,Stochastic Models in Operations Research, Vol. 1, McGraw-Hill, New York, New York, 1982.
- Ferland, J. A., andPotvin, J. Y.,Generalized Fractional Programming: Algorithms and Numerical Experimentation, European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 20, pp. 92–101, 1985. CrossRef
- Generalized fractional programming and cutting plane algorithms
Journal of Optimization Theory and Applications
Volume 87, Issue 1 , pp 103-120
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Plenum Publishers
- Additional Links
- Generalized fractional programming
- boundedly lower subdifferentiable functions
- cutting plane algorithms
- Industry Sectors