Housing choice and community success for individuals with serious and persistent mental illness
Rent the article at a discountRent now
* Final gross prices may vary according to local VAT.Get Access
Consumer choice is a central principle of psychosocial rehabilitation and supported housing approaches. This study assessed level of housing choice and the relationship of choice to community success in supported housing demonstration projects in five states. Assessment of level of choice about housing revealed very limited housing options and a high degree of influence from service providers over housing choice. Despite few options, most respondents liked their housing option(s), and felt they had enough information to make a good housing decision. The relationship of choice to community success over time demonstrated that choice was positively related to housing satisfaction, residential stability, and psychological well-being. Discussion focuses on implications of the findings for mental health services and public policy.
- Anthony, W. (1991).The philosophy and practice of psychiatric rehabilitation. Boston University: Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation.
- Anthony, W. & Blanch, A. (1989). Research on community support services: What have we learned.Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 12(3), 55–81.
- Blanch, A., Carling, P., & Ridgway, P. (1988). Normal housing with specialized supports: A psychiatric rehabilitation approach to living in the community.Rehabilitation Psychology, 33(1), 47–55. CrossRef
- Braun, P., Kochansky, G., Shapiro, R., Greenberg, S., Gudeman, J., Johnson, S. & Shore, M. (1981). Overview: Deinstitutionalization of psychiatric patient—A critical review of outcome studies.American Journal of Psychiatry, 138, 736–749.
- Brigham, (1979). In L. Perlmuter & R. Monty (Eds.)Choice and perceived control. New York: Wiley.
- Campbell, A., Converse, P., & Rodgers, W. (1976).The quality of American life New York: Russell Sage.
- Chamberlin, J. (1978).On our own: Patient controlled alternatives to the mental health system. New York: McGraw-Hill.
- Cnaan, R., Blankertz, L., Messinger, K., & Gardner, J. (1988). Psychosocial rehabilitation: Toward a definition.Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal 11(4), 61–77.
- Corah, N. & Boffa, J. (1970). Perceived control, self-observation, and response to aversive stimulation.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 16, 1–4.
- Endicott, J., Spitzer, R., Fleiss, J., & Cohen, J. (1976). The Global Assessment Scale: A procedure for measuring overall severity of psychiatric disturbance.Archives of General Psychiatry, 33, 766–771.
- Farkas, M., Anthony, W., & Cohen, M. (1989). Psychiatric rehabilitation: The approach and its programs. In M. Farkas & W. Anthony (Eds.)Psychiatric rehabilitation programs: Putting theory into practice. Baltimore, Maryland: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Ferrari, N. (1963). Freedom of choice.Social, Work, 8, 104–106.
- Goffman, E. (1961).Asylums: Essays on the social situation of mental patients and other inmates Garden City, New York: Doubleday Anchor.
- Gurin, G., Veroff, J., & Feld, S. (1960).American's view of their mental health New York: Basic Books.
- Harding, C., Zubin, J., & Strauss, J. (1987). The Vermont longitudinal study of persons with severe mental illness, II: Long-term outcome of subjects who retrospectively met DSM-III Criteria for schizophrenia.American Journal of Psychiatry, 144(6), 727–735.
- Harvey, J. & Harris, B. (1975). Determinants of perceived choice and the relationship between perceived choice and expectancy about feelings of internal control.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 31(1), 101–106.
- Janoff-Bulman, R. & Marshall, G. (1982). Mortality, well-being, and control: A study of a population of institutionalized aged.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 8(4) 691–698.
- Jellison, J. & Harvey, J. (1973). Determinants of perceived choice and the relationship between perceived choice and perceived competence.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 28(3), 376–382.
- Jerrell, J. & Hargreaves, W. (1989).Community Program Philosophy Scale (CPPS): Preliminary Report. Services Research, Berkeley California.
- Krantz, D. & Schultz, R. (1980). A model of life crisis, control and health outcomes: Cardiac rehabilitation and relocation of the elderly. In A. Baum & J. Singer (Eds.).Advances in environmental psychology: vol. 2 Applications of personal control Hillsdale: Erlbaum.
- Langer, E., & Rodin, J. (1976). The effects of choice and enhanced personal responsibility for the aged: A field experiment in an institutional setting.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 38(2), 191–198.
- Liem, G. (1975). Performance and satisfaction as affected by personal control over salient decisions.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 3, 232–240.
- McCabe, S., Edgar, B., King, D., Ross, E.C., Mancuso, L., & Emery, B. (1991).The Supplemental Security Income-HUD fair market rent: A comparative study. Center for Community Change through Housing and Support, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont.
- Mills, R. & Krantz, D. (1979). Information, choice, and reactions to stress: A field experiment in a blood bank with laboratory analogue.Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 37(4), 608–620. CrossRef
- Monty, R., Geller, E., Savage, R., & Perlmuter, L. (1979). The freedom to choose is not always so choice.Journal of Experimental Psychology: Human Learning and Memory, 5(2), 170–178. CrossRef
- Monty, R. & Perlmuter, L. (1975). Persistence of the effect of choice on paired-associate learning.Memory and Cognition, 3, 183–187.
- Monty, R., Rosenberger, M., & Perlmuter, L. (1973). Amount and locus of choice as sources of motivation and paired-associate learning.Journal of Experimental Psychology, 97, 16–21.
- National Institute of Mental Health (1987 September).Guidelines for meeting the housing needs of people with psychiatric disabilities. Rockville, MD: Author.
- Prager, E. (1980). Evaluation in mental health: Enter the consumer.Social Work Research Abstracts, 4, 5–10.
- Ridgway, P. (1988a). The voice of consumer in mental health systems: A call for change. Unpublished manuscript.
- Ridgway, P. (1988b).Coming home: Ex-patients view housing options and needs. Proceedings of a national housing forum, Boston, Mass.
- Rodin, J., Rennert, K., & Solomon, S. (1980). Intrinsic motivation for control: Fact or fiction. In A. Baum & J. Singer (Eds.).Advances in environmental psychology: vol. 2 Applications of personal control, Hillsdale: Erlbaum.
- Rose, S. & Black, B. (1985).Advocacy and empowerment: Mental health care in the community. Boston: Routledge & Kegan Paul.
- Steiner, I. (1979). Three kinds of reported choice. In L. Perlmuter & R. Monty (Eds.)Choice and perceived control. New York: Wiley.
- Stotland, E. & Blumenthal, A. (1964). The reduction of anxiety as a results of the expectation of making a choice.Canadian Journal of Psychology, 18:139–145.
- Stroul, B. (1989). Community support systems for people with long-term mental illness: A conceptual framework.Psychosocial Rehabilitation Journal, 12(3), 9–26.
- Tanzman, B., Wilson, S., & Yoe, J. (in press). The Vermont consumer housing preference study. In J. Jacobson, S. Burchard, & P. Carling (Eds.).Clinical services, social Adjustment and work life in community living. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- Tanzman, B. (1990).Researching the preference of people with psychiatric disabilities for housing and supports: A practical guide. Center for Community Change through Housing and Support, University of Vermont, Burlington, Vermont.
- Turner, J. & TenHoor, W. (1978). The NIMH community support program. Pilot approach to a needed social reform.Schizophrenia Bulletin, 4, 319–349.
- Tversky, A. (1972). Elimination by aspects: A theory of choice.Psychological Review, 79, 281–299.
- Westcott, M. (1988).The psychology of human freedom: A human science perspective and critique. New York: Springer-Verlag.
- Wicklund, R. (1974).Freedom and reactance. New York: Wiley.
- Worchel, F., Copeland, D., & Barker, D. (1987). Control-related coping strategies in pediatric oncology patients.Journal of Pediatric Psychology, 12(1), 25–38.
- Zinman, S. (1986). Self-help: The wave of the future.Hospital and Community Psychiatry, 37(3), 213.
- Zinman, S., Howie the Harp, & Budd, S. (1987).Reaching across: Mental health clients helping each other. Sacramento, CA: The California Network of Mental Health Clients.
- Housing choice and community success for individuals with serious and persistent mental illness
Community Mental Health Journal
Volume 31, Issue 2 , pp 139-152
- Cover Date
- Print ISSN
- Online ISSN
- Kluwer Academic Publishers-Human Sciences Press
- Additional Links